Why do people hold Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks so highly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why do people hold Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks so highly?

Post by rereboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:04 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Great, but Goku and Vegeta were the ones who ended up creating this final Boo.
Vegetto was the responsible for that. Goku and Vegeta didn't even fight from the moment they defused to the moment Kid Buu appeared.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 am

rereboy wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote: Great, but Goku and Vegeta were the ones who ended up creating this final Boo.
Vegetto was the responsible for that. Goku and Vegeta didn't even fight from the moment they defused to the moment Kid Buu appeared.
Vegetto could do it eitherway, but Goku and Vegeta did it defused after being absorbed. I still count that break as a fight, though.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am

Maybe it counts as a fight for you for some reason, but I see no logical reason why it should.

You are arguing that the fact that they ripped the guys from cocoons without even fighting is what makes them "able to win", when in fact it was Vegetto who did that and it was Vegetto who did 99,9% of the work and the one that overcame all the actual challenges.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:45 am

That is only my perception, you are not obligated to consider that break as a fight if you don't want to.

The way I see it, Vegetto managed to get absorbed without being assimilated. When he defused, Goku and Vegeta were still able to weaken Boo to the point where they thought they could fight him hand to hand. That is quite an accomplishment, though they had to use some powerful technique to fight him inside.

There are other moments that I consider as fights, such as Boo managing to absorb Gotenks, Piccolo and ultimately Gohan, thus defeating them all. Boo even killed them when he destroyed Earth. A lot of circunstances could have be set differently, but that is how I believe the story went. In a different outcome, Gohan would be the #1 if he had defeated Boo.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:07 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Nope, nothing says their base forms have to be stronger than their SS selves for it to be the case for Gotenks.
Gotenks' battle power is based on Goten's & Trunks' battle power. Unless for some reason the multiplier of Fusion changes, there is no other way to look at it.
Yes his power is dependent on their power, but the fusion formula may not work in the conventional way people assume it does.
How do you think that it works?
Alex9196 wrote:there is always a way to get stronger, in gokus case also i think he could have gotten stronger in the rosat but he intended for gohan to finish cell off anyway. also gohan was even with full powered regular perfect cell after coming out. and while goku was in the chamber he didnt know that cell absorbed 18 in the meantime and got wayyyy stronger than he was before.

he counted on gohans hidden powers. and my guess is that he wanted a year left if the situation ever calls for it in the future.
There are ways, such as new transformations (SS4, SSG, SSGSS), merging methods (Fusion, Potara), new techniques (Ryu-ken), improving their skills (Whis' training), or drawing out his dormant powers beyond their limits (Ultimate). Raising his base battle power isn't a way for massive gains anymore, as he said in Cell arc, which was proven in Boo arc.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:26 pm

but why would he train in his base form all the time on kais planet in super and bog?

also i wouldnt say merging is increasing YOUR power since an entirely new being is created.

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Truhan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Base Gotenks couldn't be stronger than the separate kids at SSJ level, and if that level should be 50x the base power of a kid, then Gotenks' would range between that (or more, depending on the fusion formula) and 50x more (which is a SSJ transformation). SSJ Gotenks would be 25x more powerful than a regular SSJ2 and 50x more powerful than a regular SSJ3. It doesn't seem farfetched if you believe that Gotenks is stronger than Goku.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:How do you think that it works?
I think, that the Saiyans' natural state have a huge amount of room to improve upon, whereas their Super Saiyan states are not far from their limits, so a base state fusion ends up being a far larger power-up proportionaly, than a Super Fusion.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Truhan wrote:Base Gotenks couldn't be stronger than the separate kids at SSJ level, and if that level should be 50x the base power of a kid, then Gotenks' would range between that (or more, depending on the fusion formula) and 50x more (which is a SSJ transformation). SSJ Gotenks would be 25x more powerful than a regular SSJ2 and 50x more powerful than a regular SSJ3. It doesn't seem farfetched if you believe that Gotenks is stronger than Goku.
-Why couldn't base Gotenks be stronger than the separate SSJ kids? He sort of has to be, given how impressed people were with him even when they thought he couldn't go SSJ after fusing.

-Where is this 25x from? I'd advise against using the "SSJ2 is SSJ x2" thing if that's what you're doing. This is from a similar source to the one that threw out completely random power levels for Broly and Gogeta, and a downright nonsensical one for Cooler.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Alex9196 wrote:but why would he train in his base form all the time on kais planet in super and bog?
I'm not saying that their power doesn't increase at all, I'm saying that it doesn't increase massively anymore, like a x2 increase. Goku couldn't get a x2 increase after 7 years of intense training in Heaven with a dead body.
dbgtFO wrote:I think, that the Saiyans' natural state have a huge amount of room to improve upon, whereas their Super Saiyan states are not far from their limits, so a base state fusion ends up being a far larger power-up proportionaly, than a Super Fusion.
You mean that doing Fusion and then transform gives a greater increase than doing Fusion when already transformed?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:58 pm

goku has no hurry. even if it takes him 10 years to double his strengh or more, since he gets special treatment it doesnt matter.

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Truhan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Captain Space wrote:-Why couldn't base Gotenks be stronger than the separate SSJ kids? He sort of has to be, given how impressed people were with him even when they thought he couldn't go SSJ after fusing.

-Where is this 25x from? I'd advise against using the "SSJ2 is SSJ x2" thing if that's what you're doing. This is from a similar source to the one that threw out completely random power levels for Broly and Gogeta, and a downright nonsensical one for Cooler.
Well, that's the point, people have been arguing on whether they work or not, and I lost grip of what has been officially stated. I agree with your first point though. Gotenks would have to be stronger than those kids at SSJ each, for Piccolo to consider them against Majin Buu, before Gotenks even transformed.

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Truhan wrote:Base Gotenks couldn't be stronger than the separate kids at SSJ level, and if that level should be 50x the base power of a kid, then Gotenks' would range between that (or more, depending on the fusion formula) and 50x more (which is a SSJ transformation). SSJ Gotenks would be 25x more powerful than a regular SSJ2 and 50x more powerful than a regular SSJ3. It doesn't seem farfetched if you believe that Gotenks is stronger than Goku.
Why would Gotenks be twice as powerful than a SSj3 relative to a SSj2?
Captain Space wrote:-Where is this 25x from? I'd advise against using the "SSJ2 is SSJ x2" thing if that's what you're doing. This is from a similar source to the one that threw out completely random power levels for Broly and Gogeta, and a downright nonsensical one for Cooler.
The Daizenshuu say Super Saiyan 2 is twice as strong as regular Super Saiyan. It's the video games that gauged movie characters' BPs.
Last edited by Bando on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:22 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:I think, that the Saiyans' natural state have a huge amount of room to improve upon, whereas their Super Saiyan states are not far from their limits, so a base state fusion ends up being a far larger power-up proportionaly, than a Super Fusion.
You mean that doing Fusion and then transform gives a greater increase than doing Fusion when already transformed?
No, I don't. Gotenks transforming to Super Saiyan or Goten and Trunks doing Super Fusion yields the same result. My theory does not disagree with that.

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Truhan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Bando wrote:
Why would Gotenks be twice as twice powerful than a SSj3 relative to SSj2?
The idea in my post was to place Base Gotenks' power equal to that of a Kid at SSJ, which is 50x the base power. So, fusion at base would be like transforming into SSJ relative to an individual's power level.

Regular Saiyan = 1
Super Saiyan = 50 * 1
Super Saiyan 2 = 100 * 1
Super Saiyan 3 = 400 * 1

Fused Saiyan = 50
Fused SSJ = 50 * 50 (2500, which is 25 times more than a regular SSJ2)
Fused SSJ3 = 50 * 400 (20000, which is 50 times more than a regular SSJ3)

NOTE: I don't know if SSJ3 is a 4x increase over SSJ2's multiplier, so correct me if I'm wrong.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
No, I don't. Gotenks transforming to Super Saiyan or Goten and Trunks doing Super Fusion yields the same result. My theory does not disagree with that.
Then I guess I didn't understand your theory, sorry. :P Could you explain it differently?

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Truhan wrote:The idea in my post was to place Base Gotenks' power equal to that of a Kid at SSJ, which is 50x the base power. So, fusion at base would be like transforming into SSJ relative to an individual's power level.

Regular Saiyan = 1
Super Saiyan = 50 * 1
Super Saiyan 2 = 100 * 1
Super Saiyan 3 = 400 * 1

Fused Saiyan = 50
Fused SSJ = 50 * 50 (2500, which is 25 times more than a regular SSJ2)
Fused SSJ3 = 50 * 400 (20000, which is 50 times more than a regular SSJ3)

NOTE: I don't know if SSJ3 is a 4x increase over SSJ2's multiplier, so correct me if I'm wrong.
That makes a lot more sense. In your original post you hadn't mentioned you were talking about SSj3 Gotenks.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:44 pm

I was referring to magazine-sourced numbers like this:

I don't think the Daizenshuu says anything about SSJ2. The above is where the SSJ2 and SSJ3 multipliers come from.

(Of course I personally don't consider any of them, even the Daizenshuu numbers that aren't taken directly from the manga, canon, but I know some people like using the Daizenshuu stuff, so.)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 pm

The SS2 & SS3 multipliers don't come from magazines or the Daizenshuu, they come from the Super Exciting Guides, which are as legit as the Daizenshuu, and the specific section that has these multipliers was supervised by Toriyama.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The SS2 & SS3 multipliers don't come from magazines or the Daizenshuu, they come from the Super Exciting Guides, which are as legit as the Daizenshuu, and the specific section that has these multipliers was supervised by Toriyama.
Man, I guess I'm really not on top of all this stuff, I thought they were from magazines...