Goku vs. Superman

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Goku vs. Superman

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:28 pm

theherodjl wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Had Superman or any Superman character acquired the capability to destroy planets 30 years into the franchise?
Really what were their abilities after 30 years? Dragon Ball characters became capable of destroying planets after 5 years, if Vegeta's statements can be trusted.
Who knows, maybe in another 30 years Dragon Ball characters will have the same crazy feats Superman characters had pre crisis.
I would guess so, Superman as a boy had enough strength to move an entire galaxy's habitable planets during the Silver Age, if he felt like it he could totally smash one to bits by smacking it or crushing it.
I think Goku's feats don't go as far because Toriyama is not like a DC writer, he seems to be stuck in the mindset that DBZ strength is all about hitting harder, moving faster, and destroying planets easier. It get so arbitrary because there's nothing to scale it with, we don't know how much greater they get by any amount of higher battle power if there even seems to be that much more of a difference because Toriyama can't imagine feats getting more broad than how he depicts it.
Toriyama doesn't. But Toei loves exaggerating the power of the characters and making light shows. We'll get feats with Super, we already have.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 pm

After seeing Frieza
, watching Beerus blow up one planet with a golf ball-sized blast that didn't need to be charged at all, and witnessing Beerus split a planet in half by poking it, it makes me wonder a) how are these battles not resulting in the planets becoming dust? and b) why the hell are these villains even bothering to fight Goku? It seems Kid Buu was the only one with some common sense, ironically.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

supermatt6534

Post by supermatt6534 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:24 pm

This is what me & my friends put together on the topic:
http://www.vizzed.com/boards/thread.php ... &ref=57422

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:Theres (more or less) 1 Goku and like 524783 Supermans with 9001 storylines and writers and the differences can be massive.
Eh, I wouldn't say that.

You've got:

Manga Goku
Anime Goku
Toei Movie Goku
GT Goku
The Magic Begins Goku
Evolution Goku
Video game Goku

etc.
The Magic Begins & the Korean movie are unofficial movies. If you count them, you should also count AF Goku, Multiverse Goku, TFS Goku, Live-Action Saiyan Saga Trailer Goku, etc.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:53 pm

supermatt6534 wrote:This is what me & my friends put together on the topic:
It would be better if you actually posted something from there on here rather than just put a link to it.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

supermatt6534

Post by supermatt6534 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:16 pm

theherodjl wrote:
It would be better if you actually posted something from there on here rather than just put a link to it.
Why bother making another post when there is already this one on the topic?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 pm

supermatt6534 wrote:
theherodjl wrote:
Why bother making another post when there is already this one on the topic?
You can't just drop some link and then expect someone is going to read it, you need to put out your point here so that your post stays on topic.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

supermatt6534

Post by supermatt6534 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:54 pm

theherodjl wrote:It would be better if you actually posted something from there on here rather than just put a link to it.
supermatt6534 wrote:Why bother making another post when there is already this one on the topic?
theherodjl wrote:You can't just drop some link and then expect someone is going to read it, you need to put out your point here so that your post stays on topic.
I pointed out that it addresses to the topic.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm

supermatt6534 wrote:
theherodjl wrote:It would be better if you actually posted something from there on here rather than just put a link to it.
supermatt6534 wrote:Why bother making another post when there is already this one on the topic?
theherodjl wrote:You can't just drop some link and then expect someone is going to read it, you need to put out your point here so that your post stays on topic.
I pointed out that it addresses to the topic.
Even though it addresses the topic, it's better for you to post the content directly to it rather than forcing people to hop to another website (which could also be considered some attempt at clickbaiting)to read any points you have.

supermatt6534

Post by supermatt6534 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Even though it addresses the topic, it's better for you to post the content directly to it rather than forcing people to hop to another website (which could also be considered some attempt at clickbaiting)to read any points you have.

I already pointed this out,& on Josh's original post,VegettoEX said to go onto existing posts.Also,it's easier to post a link than to copy & paste the whole thing,not to mention some things won't copy well.