Do the first 13 Z films fit into the anime canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Do the first 13 Z films fit into the anime canon?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:12 pm

I realize the likes of the first cooler film and dead zone fit into the anime timeline, but the likes of fusion reborn doesn't fit in for example. So are some just what if scenarios or does every film fit into the anime's continuity.

On one hand it'd make sense to treat the majority of the movies as what ifs as most don't fit into the anime timeline.

But to be fair, if we debunk a movie for having plot holes.....we kinda have to cut out all of the buu saga as well. XD

Also Icarus is introduced in movies that don't fit in the timeline, but was in the anime....so did higher dragon meet Gohan off screen anime canon wise or are all the movies canon to the anime of ball Z and tie into GT?
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do the first 13 Z films fit into the anime canon?

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:18 pm

I personally always squeeze in the easier ones like Dead Zone (the anime has a sequel to it so it must have happened in there), Cooler, Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon, the rest are basically alternate universes. Even the Daizenshuu calls Blood Rubies and Mystical Adventure "alternate worlds" so it's best to classify the rest as that too.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I personally always squeeze in the easier ones like Dead Zone (the anime has a sequel to it so it must have happened in there), Cooler, Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon, the rest are basically alternate universes. Even the Daizenshuu calls Blood Rubies and Mystical Adventure "alternate worlds" so it's best to classify the rest as that too.
True, weird how the first cooler movie fits, but the second one doesn't. I mean it would fit in the cell games 7 day weight if it wasn't for gohan not being ssj while dende is guardian. Wrath of the Dragon might work as it's barely inconsistent. Broly kinda works, but just the first one and even then things don't fit correctly. Also feels weird to dismiss something in dragonball just for plot holes. Feels like we'd have to get rid of goku vs cell then.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:36 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I personally always squeeze in the easier ones like Dead Zone (the anime has a sequel to it so it must have happened in there), Cooler, Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon, the rest are basically alternate universes. Even the Daizenshuu calls Blood Rubies and Mystical Adventure "alternate worlds" so it's best to classify the rest as that too.
True, weird how the first cooler movie fits, but the second one doesn't. I mean it would fit in the cell games 7 day weight if it wasn't for gohan not being ssj while dende is guardian. Wrath of the Dragon might work as it's barely inconsistent. Broly kinda works, but just the first one and even then things don't fit correctly. Also feels weird to dismiss something in dragonball just for plot holes. Feels like we'd have to get rid of goku vs cell then.
If we dismissed something just because of plot holes, then Dragon Ball would have stopped at the RR arc.

In my headcanon, Dead Zone, Broly 1, Plan to Eradicate, Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon take place in the main continuity.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
If we dismissed something just because of plot holes, then Dragon Ball would have stopped at the RR arc.

In my headcanon, Dead Zone, Broly 1, Plan to Eradicate, Bojack and Wrath of the Dragon take place in the main continuity.
Cooler 1 fits in with GT,also nothing contradicts the anime in it. Vegeta's in space training.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Cooler 1 fits in with GT,also nothing contradicts the anime in it. Vegeta's in space training.
Yep, that one fits too, but alone, and I usually group Cooler 1 and Cooler 2 in an alternate universe where the Androids were never created.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Cooler 1 fits in with GT,also nothing contradicts the anime in it. Vegeta's in space training.
Yep, that one fits too, but alone, and I usually group Cooler 1 and Cooler 2 in an alternate universe where the Androids were never created.

Cooler 1 is before the androids, and cooler 2 has dende as a guardian which was a result of the androids. It's more like waiting for the cell games and some idiot forgot to make gohan ssj like how dende sometimes loses his size out of nowhere...like in battle of gods.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Can someone explain why The Return of Cooler wouldn't fit? Because people always say it doesn't, but it seems to work fine during the three years training for the Androids. Nobody besides Goku sees Vegeta transform on Planet Namek, meaning they can all still be surprised when he does it against Android 19.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Can someone explain why The Return of Cooler wouldn't fit? Because people always say it doesn't, but it seems to work fine during the three years training for the Androids. Nobody besides Goku sees Vegeta transform on Planet Namek, meaning they can all still be surprised when he does it against Android 19.

It has to be during the 7 day wait for the cell games, because dende is on earth as guardian.

But Gohan is not ssj. If it wasn't for Gohan it'd fit perfectly.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:

Cooler 1 is before the androids, and cooler 2 has dende as a guardian which was a result of the androids. It's more like waiting for the cell games and some idiot forgot to make gohan ssj like how dende sometimes loses his size out of nowhere...like in battle of gods.
The first Coola movie doesn't work either, as Goku is readily shown not to be able to transform into a Super Saiya-jin at will, even though it's established that he's capable of transforming at will by the time he returns to Earth following the year in space between the Freeza Saga and the beginning of the Cell Saga. In addition, Gohan is shown with the bowl cut hairstyle he stopped wearing by the time Goku returned to Earth (instead sporting the scraggly Yamcha-esque hair style) and a tail, even though he had already reached the power threshold where the tails don't grow anymore.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Only Movie 9 and 13 can plausibly happen.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 pm

I see them all except for Dead Zone as happening in the same alternate timeline that GT is a part of

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Dead zone can take place before the beginning of Z.

Cooler's revenge & return of Cooler can take place before the android arc.

Broly's 1st movie can take place before the Cell games.

Bojack unbound can take place right after the Cell games.

Broly's 2nd movie can take place before Goku comes back for the Tenkaichi.

Wrath of the dragon can take place before Super.
nickzambuto wrote:Can someone explain why The Return of Cooler wouldn't fit? Because people always say it doesn't, but it seems to work fine during the three years training for the Androids. Nobody besides Goku sees Vegeta transform on Planet Namek, meaning they can all still be surprised when he does it against Android 19.
Because Dende is the guardian of earth but other then that scene at the beginning it fits in fine with everything else.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Broly's 2nd movie can take place before Goku comes back for the Tenkaichi.
Movie 10 doesn't work in any sense either. Regardless of whether Goku was physically there or just in spirit, he saw and acknowledged who Goten was, yet didn't meet or learn who Goten was until after he arrived for the 25th Budoukai. In addition, Videl was completely unaware of what the Dragon Balls were until Bulma and the others gathered them to revive those Vegeta had killed at the Budoukai, yet was actively searching for them with Goten and Trunks at the start of the movie.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:34 am

Return of Coola can't fit because:

- If the movie is also set before #19 and Dr. Gero show up then how did they know where New Namek is at? Goku had no idea where it was until he visit King Kai later on in the Cell saga.
- If the movie is set before #19 and Dr. Gero show up then how is Dende the god of the Earth?
- If the movie is set before Dr. Gero and #19 show up then why leave Earth if the cyborgs are roaming Earth and causing havoc. They won't leave the Earth in danger so easily.
- If Kami and Piccolo had already merged in this film, so why is Piccolo so weak all of the sudden? He should be as strong as Goku or Vegeta, if not stronger?
- If the movie is set during the 7 days Cell game break then where the hell is Trunks, why Gohan is still the same height as Krillin, why can't Gohan go SSj, why don't Goku and Vegeta go beyond SSj? Also Goku should be in his FPSSj form instead his base form if it's during the 7 day break for the Cell games.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Only Movie 9 and 13 can plausibly happen.
The only way that movie 13 can happen is if Bulma can pull a time machine out of her ass.

There's no reason for her to built one in the main timeline.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:14 am

One theory, is that Garlic Jr. inadvertently created another timeline when he opened up the Dead Zone and all the movies took place in that timeline. The movies fit together in one timeline pretty well except for Broli's return.

Goku actually went SSJ against Slug and that false SSJ aura, was TOEI guessing what SSJ might have looked like because this was a little before the transformation in the Freeza arc. He also most probably defeated Freeza on Namek and came back to Earth in time to fight Cooler.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:18 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:

The first Coola movie doesn't work either, as Goku is readily shown not to be able to transform into a Super Saiya-jin at will, even though it's established that he's capable of transforming at will by the time he returns to Earth following the year in space between the Freeza Saga and the beginning of the Cell Saga. In addition, Gohan is shown with the bowl cut hairstyle he stopped wearing by the time Goku returned to Earth (instead sporting the scraggly Yamcha-esque hair style) and a tail, even though he had already reached the power threshold where the tails don't grow anymore.

1. Tails don't stop growing, they just get cut off while the characters are off screen. The real world explination is Toriyama forgot about the tails, but in universe it has to be trunks and gotten and the rest simply have em cut off while off screen.

2. Gohan could have cut his hair during 3 years and regrown it out. It's not like his hair styed like that perfectly for 3 years.

3. Goku wasn't shown unable to go ssj. It's just that he didn't. He didn't use kaioken vs cell even though he could. He didn't use the spirit bomb vs beerus or solar flare, doesn't mean he couldn't.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 am

If Super is set 4 years after Buu then Movie 13 fits fine. So only Movie 9 and 13 fit really. Everything else does not in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Super is set 4 years after Buu then Movie 13 fits fine. So only Movie 9 and 13 fit really. Everything else does not in my opinion.

I don't think super is anime canon,it contradicts GT. I think Super is only meant to fit in with the manga timeline/canon. It has filler characters but Toriyama DID make Gregory, maybe in his mind Gregory is canon to his manga.