Trunks' SSJ Transformation, Anime/Manga difference

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Trunks' SSJ Transformation, Anime/Manga difference

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

This was brought up in the previews section but I decided to make it a full fledged thread.

Anime: After being knocked out by Gohan, Trunks flies down to see him lying in the streets. As the rain pours, Trunks starts to cry hysterically. He finally reaches SSJ.

Manga: (is it shown?)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Trunks' SSJ Transformation, Anime/Manga difference

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:This was brought up in the previews section but I decided to make it a full fledged thread.

Anime: After being knocked out by Gohan, Trunks flies down to see him lying in the streets. As the rain pours, Trunks starts to cry hysterically. He finally reaches SSJ.

Manga: (is it shown?)
It's shown, except that since Trunks is already able to go SSJ, Toriyama leaves him in his normal form.

And incidentally... I can't find this chapter anywhere in my DB Kanzenban volumes. If the next month goes by with them still MIA, I might write a letter to Shueisha... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:48 pm

I actually like the way the anime handled the transformation over the manga. At least, it makes more sense to me the way they did it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:53 pm

Well TripleRach told me he's shown already a SSJ training before Gohan is killed in the manga.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:26 pm

Wasn't Trunks' story a special manga chapter? Was it published during the normal run of the series on Shonen Jump (Japan), or was it a special you bought seperatly?

And is it in the original tankobon releases?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:17 pm

I'm not sure how or if it ran in SJ in Japan, but it did originally appear at the end of book 33, after Chapter 396 (which was Mr. Satan vs Cell). It wasn't numbered or anything, it was instead called a bangaihen, or "extra story". Have the kanzenban releases gotten that far yet? I remember seeing Kaioushin and Kibito on one of the recent covers, so they probably have...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:17 am

If that's the case, I might actually have to buy the graphic novel. Gor DBZ I'm getting everything that was prior to US Jump.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:22 pm

Hmm... This makes me wonder if that particular ''extra story'' will be in the Shonen Jump graphic novel...

Also, was it in colour?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:48 pm

Dai wrote:Also, was it in colour?
Only the title page and the two first pages.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:28 am

I read Trunks the Story in a french GN (last "chapter of volume 33 of DB), but the "Omake" I think they're called, weren't. Since we haven't seen any Omake from any manga in SJ, I think we won't see the DB ones either, but will see the Trunks chapter since that's part of the chapter. It'd be good publicity too, and they could stall for time that way (in order to make DB last longer in SJ). Think about it: Stan loses. "Next chapter: Discover more concerning the background of Trunks and the devastated world he comes from!" Maybe they'll add the Trunks chapter as a bonus couple of pages to that month's SJ.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:01 am

I thought Omakes were those fan made thingies.....

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:54 pm

No omake means "discount" as in on a price or it can also mean "extra".
It's used in the anime and manga world as "extra", as in the case of Trunks' story, a special chapter. It might also be just some fun stuff at the end of a graphic novel, like a gag strip by the author satirizing his own work, such as in the Full Metal Alchemist manga. In anime, it's usually the fun, silly sort of stuff too. If you've ever seen Blue Seed, at the end of some of the episodes, they always had "Omake Theater", which was stupid little parodies on the characters and stories. The same thing is true with the "Welcome to Lodoss Island" sequences at the end of ROLW:Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. It featured the story over again in a jokey way with all the characters in SD mode. Sometimes fans do use the term on their websites as a section for the same type of thing, a fun little extra section that might have games, quizzes, and satirical stuff.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:05 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I thought Omakes were those fan made thingies.....
You're thinking doujinshi.