Did Freeza kill Goku on Namek?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Did Freeza kill Goku on Namek?

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:35 pm

In the Greek dub, in the episode where Freeza buries Goku in the lava, he is confronted by Gohan, he powers down, thrashes the runt, then Goku resurfaces. He tells Gohan to leave. Then the narrator goes like "Goku has ressurected thanks to the Dragon Balls, and is ready to continue his bout against Freeza". Note that a few moments ago, I THINK that it was the part where Shenron brought all the Namekians back to life.

So, is that a mistake of the dub? An anime filler? Or did Freeza really did kill Goku on Namek?
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 pm

Common misconception.

Goku was not killed by Freeza on Namek. It was never stated in the original version, so the Greek interpretation of it is incorrect.

Put simply, even if Goku HAD died, which he didn't, the wish wouldn't have resurrected him. Why? The wish to bring everyone back to life was used with the Earth Dragonballs. The Earth Dragonballs, as you know, can only bring someone back to life once. Goku died while fighting Raditz.

This question is asked a lot.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 pm

The episodes made out he was under water for a long time though lol.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Common misconception.

Goku was not killed by Freeza on Namek. It was never stated in the original version, so the Greek interpretation of it is incorrect.

Put simply, even if Goku HAD died, which he didn't, the wish wouldn't have resurrected him. Why? The wish to bring everyone back to life was used with the Earth Dragonballs. The Earth Dragonballs, as you know, can only bring someone back to life once. Goku died while fighting Raditz.

This question is asked a lot.
Thanks for clearing that up. I should have known, by I had forgotten Raditz.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:41 pm

In the manga, Goku was only knocked into water, and he came up pretty soon afterwards.
Where's the beef?

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:44 pm

WOW.... :shock: Did the Greek dubbing company actually WATCH the original Japanese version of the fight? It seems very likely at first, however, I think Smooth Criminal got it straight. Mabye Toriyama(Just mabye...?)oh, forgot like he so often does? But it is NEVER STATED or contemplated that Goku died after being whacked into that volcano(or whatever it is). Think about it; would you expect Super Saiya-jin Son Goku to die from being whacked into a rock by a standard attack by Freeza? Exactly. If he were that easy to kill, Freeza would've killed him with his "Inprisonment Ball". Hell, he even gets a hole blasted through his shoulder and then has it stepped on multiple times. Sound like the kinda guy you could kill just like that? Although Freeza DOES say, "Are you a zombie...?" after Goku arises from the water, but that was probably just...*trails off*

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:50 pm

El_Diablo wrote:In the manga, Goku was only knocked into water, and he came up pretty soon afterwards.
We actually DO SEE Goku smashing into rocks in the manga. And even though he didn't stay underwter so damn long in the manga, he still must've had lungs the size of hot-air baloons to stay underwater that long.

Kinda reminds me of Sparking!. :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:50 pm

El_Diablo wrote:In the manga, Goku was only knocked into water, and he came up pretty soon afterwards.
Hooray for filler.

I guess Goku had found some underground cavern, and was sittin' there, chilling for 15 minutes (out of the mere 5 Namek had left?), planning to surprise Freeza, then he realized, "Oh, crap my son's about to git 'imself killed..."
Last edited by Kaboom on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:14 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:15 minutes
Doesn't this all happen within the infamous 5 minutes?

Cyberman
Not-So-Newbie
Location: Ascending Super Saiyan in the Room of Spirit and Time

Post by Cyberman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm

Silly Greeks. Filler, pure and simple.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:15 pm

It defies all logic to boot ^_^;

I was asked this question just a couple days ago, too o_O
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:23 pm

Goku wouldn't be the first Saiyan with the uncanny ability to hold his breath for that long. When Vegeta escaped Freeza's space ship he supposedly swam the entire way, and they never showed him surfacing. o.O

In any case, that filler scene should've technically taken less than a minute in DragonBall time, even though it took 20 bloody minutes in real time.
Last edited by Deus ex Machina on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:28 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
That was part of the joke... :roll:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:30 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
That was part of the joke... :roll:
*slaps forehead*

Missed that when reading the post.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Man oh man, I never thought I'd see this question again. I remember when the English dub first aired that episode. EVERYONE who watched it had assumed Goku had died and was ressurected.

As mentioned before though, Goku couldn't have been resurrected by Shenlong since he was already revived once before. Seemed long only to fill up time on the anime version. :P

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 pm

Dragonballs: impossible to make the wish
Wish: Was made before Goku 'assumatively' died so logic dictates he wouldn't be included.
Death: Heals all wounds. (Goku remained hurt)
Restored life: Revives but does not restore full ki (no super-saiyan)

So yeah. *grin* doesn't it make sense???

I think Goku should be quite good at holding his breath. Your average human can do it for 5 minutes before passing out; your trained can do it for 7... your trained (he played those games with Gohan and fished loads) SAIYAN should logicaly surpass human limits.
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:03 pm

Another thing is the "Gohan vs. Freeza" fight that occured. The last time Gohan fought Freeza, he was using a much smaller fraction of his power and Gohan couldn't even follow his movements. Heck, Vegeta couldnt' either, and he was much stronger than Gohan, even at his greatest peak of rage seen.

Not to mention Gohan gave so much of his Ki to Piccolo (so that he could hold of Freeza while the Genki-dama was being formed) that both him and Kuririn could barely fly.

And this Gohan did well against 50% full power Freeza?

I kinda like this event because it's one of those times you can't explain it in any way but "dumb filler...".

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Well you could argue that Freeza has burnt out quite abit of his power fighting Goku and that he was quite tired.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Add the fact that Gohan fought Freeza during "Rage Mode". But it's filler, so it cannot be taken into serious account. Even though I sometimes think that Freeza takes the punches head-on just to see his enemies' jaws drop when he emerges unscathed.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Haha I would so do that. Aother infamous thing about dragonball Z is the reactions from their faces after the dust settles...

:D ....... :o .......... :) ......... :shock: