What happened to Gohan's training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: What happened to Gohan's training?

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:52 pm

I would say he had a brief enthusiasm for training and after realizing he had more important stuff to do he abandoned it. I think he probably wants to get in shape but eating ice cream seems more pleasant. I understand him..

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:12 am

Probably wasn't in Toriyama's outline

However the backlash to this closed off plot thread may hopefully convince Toriyama and the staff at Toei to make something of it in a future arc

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:46 pm

How was this conclusion of Gohan not liking to train established in the first place? It's not like there aren't precedents of him choosing to fight on his own free time. For instance, he didn't seem to mind having mental sparring sessions with Krillin on their way to Namek when there were no expectations of encountering any hostile forces. And what was Gohan doing during the 625 day time elapse between Namek's destruction and the arrival of Trunks? I don't recall anyone making a note of Gohan's power having slackened when they met up. This whole idea of Gohan being naturally pacifistic and adverse to fighting seemed to have arisen during the late portions of the Cell arc. Before that point he was hesitant and nervous at first to fight but after having filled the shoes of a dependable fighter against Vegeta he seemed a lot more confident and willing to fight, even kill which is what he did when he quickly dispensed with Sui on Namek.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Why do people think the training was filler? Just because it wasn't in the manga? is the Manga more canon that the Anime? I'd think the anime has more importance over the manga, I always thought the manga was used as a preview per se

As for OP, Ever thought that Gohan only trains on the weekends or something like that? I mean he's not Goku, he won't abandon his family for months/years at a time to train
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 am

This time around I figured the show was canon while the manga was an abridged version of the material that served the purpose of being a preview of sorts. Either way, I'm hoping that something comes out of that scene with him asking Piccolo to resume training but I doubt it.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:10 am