Why Didn't Goku Use Super Saiyan 3 Against Majin Vegeta?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Why Didn't Goku Use Super Saiyan 3 Against Majin Vegeta?

Post by Kishido » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:11 am

I know there have been talk about the pride of Vegeta and the hard ki draining of it.

But hasn't Goku exactly done the different? He hurt Vegeta's pride even more and because of the long "playing" Boo was revived and he has to use Super Saiyan 3 after all.

And even more funny is... He used it without any intention of beating Buu. So I do not understand why he hasn't showed Vegeta what he truly have learned and that Vegeta's way is wrong and at the same time would get rid of Buu

sintzu
Banned

Re: Why hasn't Goku hasn't used Super Saiyan 3 against Majin Vegeta?

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:02 am

Vegeta brought it up and he said it would've drained up all his time on earth which it did when he used it against Buu.

In terms of why he used it against Buu it could've been because he didn't think 2 would be enough to hold him off or he wanted to hurry back to the other world so that the kids wouldn't depend on him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Goku could've defeated Fat Buu with SSJ3, and he probably knew he was more powerful during the fight, but he did not know how well Fat Buu could regenerate or how good his stamina was.

Had he gone all-out, he might've easily vaporized Buu. And thirty seconds later, he might be back in the Other World. And Buu might still have come back. In that circumstance, the Earth's only protection would be Piccolo, Krillin, and two boys who don't yet know fusion. In short, they all be screwed. He made the correct decision based on what he knew at the time.

Later, after Goku was more familiar with Buu and had a better idea of the parameters of his abilities, he knew he could've won. But that's only based on information that he didn't have then.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Same as what everyone has said so far, Goku couldn't use SSJ3 against Vegeta because it would drain all the time he had left on Earth. Also I don't think Toriyama had even thought up of the transformation yet at that time.

Also not sure if this was a dub only line it's been a while since I saw the Japanese version of the Buu arc, but wasn't it said that the fight between Goku and Majin Vegeta was powering up Buu as well? So another reason he didn't go SSJ3 was because he didn't want Buu to grow even more powerful?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Wasn't it said that the fight between Goku and Majin Vegeta was powering up Buu as well ?
Buu needed a certain amount of power to be released so going Ssj3 would've released him a lot sooner.

I'm not sure it made him stronger though.

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:Wasn't it said that the fight between Goku and Majin Vegeta was powering up Buu as well ?
Buu needed a certain amount of power to be released so going Ssj3 would've released him a lot sooner.

I'm not sure it made him stronger though.
It might have just been a dub change then with Buu growing stronger from it. But yeah, their are different reasons why Goku didn't go Ssj3 during his fight, but I still think it was mostly because Toriyama hadn't thought up of Ssj3 yet.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Why Didn't Goku Use Super Saiyan 3 Against Majin Vegeta?

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 pm

In Universe? Because Goku's an asshole. He already threatened Supreme Kai to let fight happen, he might as well stay on equal footing with Vegeta until either he beats him, or talks him down. You can argue that Goku would have used up time going SSJ3, but he could have easily taken time to transform, KO Vegeta in one punch, and go back to SSJ2. Or, stay SSJ3, go towards and destroy Buu before being taken back to Otherworld easy.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:27 pm

To not hurt Vegeta's pride because he knew how much that meant to Vegeta. It was a very stupid decision on Goku's part.

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:To not hurt Vegeta's pride because he knew how much that meant to Vegeta. It was a very stupid decision on Goku's part.
i wonder what will happen to vegeta after he see ssj3? will he regreat what he had done or will he seek for more power?

goku's decision was as stupid as vegetto's decision to save his sons (he would have died if he couldn't move as a candy),it has a good intention but could lead to serious problems.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:45 pm

dragonballer wrote:i wonder what will happen to vegeta after he see ssj3? will he regreat what he had done or will he seek for more power?
Someone in another topic said he could've switched completely over to the evil side if Goku chose to humiliate him instead of reasoning with him which I agree with.

Maybe Goku's a fan of Naruto cause Naruto trying to completely humiliate Sasuke on the hospital's rooftop was the main thing that pushed him to the other side so he probably didn't want to deal with Vegeta doing that as well. :lol:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
dragonballer wrote:i wonder what will happen to vegeta after he see ssj3? will he regreat what he had done or will he seek for more power?
Someone in another topic said he could've switched completely over to the evil side if Goku chose to humiliate him instead of reasoning with him which I agree with.

Maybe Goku's a fan of Naruto cause Naruto trying to completely humiliate Sasuke on the hospital's rooftop was the main thing that pushed him to the other side so he probably didn't want to deal with Vegeta doing that as well. :lol:
I'm not sure how Vegeta massacring the people at the tournament does not put him completely over to the evil side.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:37 am

maybe because with ssj3 Goku would have lost even harder against ssj2 vegeta, according to certain vegeta ssj3 fanboys. and the akira toriyama interview claiming it to be just a ssj1 variation contradicting the manga. I don't puy the bull**** that ssj3 Goku could defeat Majin Buu as Goku has showed several times that he likes to gloat one shoting characters but always fails at it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:05 am

Friezacooler wrote:The akira toriyama interview claiming it (ssj3) to be just a ssj1 variation contradicting the manga.
What does it contradict ? What was said in the manga that contradicts that ?

When Goku showed it to Trunks he didn't tell him to forget about reaching it because it could only be reached by dead and fused Saiyans.

When Trunks asked Vegeta to use it he didn't tell him he couldn't because he wasn't dead or fused with someone else.

Super's last few episodes alongside Toriyama's comment on the form have completely destroyed those 2 fan theories so you should just accept that and move on.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 am

sintzu wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:The akira toriyama interview claiming it (ssj3) to be just a ssj1 variation contradicting the manga.

When Goku showed it to Trunks he didn't tell him to forget about reaching it because it could only be reached by dead and fused Saiyans.

When Trunks asked Vegeta to use it he didn't tell him he couldn't because he wasn't dead or fused with someone else.

Super's last few episodes alongside Toriyama's comment on the form have completely destroyed those 2 fan theories so you should just accept that and move on.
goku throughout the buu saga stated ssj3 requires to much energy to be sustained in his living body and as a result he used it as an emergency. i would post scans but they're illegal to post here

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 am

jplaya2023 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

goku throughout the buu saga stated ssj3 requires to much energy to be sustained in his living body and as a result he used it as an emergency. i would post scans but they're illegal to post here
Everyone know this

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:To not hurt Vegeta's pride because he knew how much that meant to Vegeta. It was a very stupid decision on Goku's part.
If I was in Goku's shoes or even you, the tension and atmosphere during that scene, it might have not have been as stupid as one may think. Vegeta wanted a fight and he was on the brink, using SSJ3 might have made him go overload; explode more than he already did with that pride.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I always figured Toriyama hadn't invented the form yet as the most justifiable answer. When it comes to in universe however, I'm not sure.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 pm

To be honest, if Goku used SSJ3 against Vegeta, with how butthurt the guy was I could see him blow himself up then and there just to defeat Goku.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Draconic wrote:To be honest, if Goku used SSJ3 against Vegeta, with how butthurt the guy was I could see him blow himself up then and there just to defeat Goku.
Yeah, I could totally see Vegeta doing that. He was still an evil, vain, prideful asshole by all accounts.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Draconic wrote:To be honest, if Goku used SSJ3 against Vegeta, with how butthurt the guy was I could see him blow himself up then and there just to defeat Goku.
Yeah, I could totally see Vegeta doing that. He was still an evil, vain, prideful asshole by all accounts.
I really kinda want to see that now that I think about it :lol: Vegeta rants are always fun :lol:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW