Ultra Instinct "Omen"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Ultra Instinct "Omen"

Post by DSB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am

Apparently thats the name given. Obviously Ultra Instinct is the name of the ability. But what is the "Omen"?

Also i would like to point out that:
  • IT IS a Transformation. Not JUST an ability like kaioken. Its a Full Blown [maybe Non Saiyan based?] transformation. Goku accesses the Ultra Instinct ability THROUGH this form.
  • It was NOT achieved by absorbing the Spirit Bomb. Some people misunderstood what Whis said. He said when the Spirit Bomb energy was entering goku, he was resisting it, Goku broke though his Limits to stop being destroyed by the Spirit Bomb energy.
  • The energy he used to fight Jiren was taken from the Spirit Bomb, to Power HIMSELF, NOT to access the transformation
PS: I really hope its the end of SSj forms for Goku. This is new. This should stay with him only.

Duo
I Live Here

Re: Ultra Instinct "Omen"

Post by Duo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am

Loved it. Had nothing to do with being a Saiyan or a God or any previous bullshit. All about a warrior surpassing his limits. Transformation or technique doesn't matter to me. Goku was forced to better himself beyond all of that and it was amazing. The fact it wasn't good enough is even better, because surpassing your limits in real life doesn't always lead to victory. So good.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 am

Wow, take it easy dude, it's a bit too early to reflect on what happened. Anything in the following episode could prove us wrong, or maybe it won't and you are right, because speculating about it is fair game.

I think that Omen refers to it being a forecast. An occurrence that makes Goku's own power rise to a level that he will have reached in the future. It's similar to the SSJG ritual taking him to a new height from what he had in the Buu saga. Eventually, he will make it his own, but don't expect this "ultra instinct" to show up in the following episodes.
Last edited by Desassina on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am

What I truly care about right now is its accessibility. Is it going to be a saiyan-only thing again, or will other races (humans, namekians, etc.) will be able to tap it under the right circumstances?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:57 pm

That sounds ominous.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm

When the gods were acting surprised at that form Frieza seemed to be taking note and thinking. I hope that is foreshadowing that he will get the form.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 am

hunduel wrote:What I truly care about right now is its accessibility. Is it going to be a saiyan-only thing again, or will other races (humans, namekians, etc.) will be able to tap it under the right circumstances?
Ideally it would be afforded to others that are able to follow in Goku's footsteps. However, knowing how Dragon Ball seems to operate, you're essentially asking for the same as anyone else acquiring the Kaioken. So for now, at least, I'm going to remain incredulous about anyone else receiving the form.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 am

Duo wrote:Loved it. Had nothing to do with being a Saiyan or a God or any previous bullshit. All about a warrior surpassing his limits. Transformation or technique doesn't matter to me. Goku was forced to better himself beyond all of that and it was amazing. The fact it wasn't good enough is even better, because surpassing your limits in real life doesn't always lead to victory. So good.
Duo, you perfectly summed up what I loved about Ultra Instinct as well. I alluded to these features when I reviewed the episode:
The theory that Goku used his own power to prevent himself from being consumed by the energy of the Genki Dama when it collapsed in on itself and exploded is thematically ingenious. Goku has always been a character who has preferred to break through thresholds of new heights in power with his own devices, and that is something that was mentioned back in Battle Of Gods was how Goku didn't like having to borrow the energy of others to reach a new realm of power and throughout several instances in the original story. So the idea that Goku fought against the very power he collected from his allies in attempt to defeat Jiren, and process of the clash between his own power and the power of the Genki Dama, reached a new plateau of strength, is a magnificent evolution of the subtle context for which Goku approaches strength and attaining new forms. Goku seeks for any opportunity to challenge himself but at the same time doesn't want the personal burden of feeling as though he has to borrow from others to break though any glass ceilings of power. His personal drive in truly unlike any other character in Dragon Ball and this episode of Super truly has emphasized that.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 am

There's almost certainly going to be a "mastered" version of it at some point. Here Goku was basically running on adrenaline. Considering he was gaining on Jiren toward the end, give him some energy and time to recover, and round 2 might not seem so insurmountable.

Whether it's a transformation or not, it's going to be treated as such going forward. Kaioken and Ultimate Gohan aren't "transformations", but that's how they're presented in video games and the like. I still maintain however that this is the best new form since Super Saiyan 2. Aside from the fact that it isn't a Saiyan-exclusive thing for once (which the previous God forms really didn't need to be), it was well explained, built up throughout the series and has an appreciable difference in how battles are fought beyond "oh, he's stronger now". It ties into the core themes of the series and has some nice subtle parallels with other forms. It's like Potential Unleashed but emphasising sense and movement rather than power. It's the inverse of Super Saiyan 4, representing zen-like calm instead of primal fury. It already has the perfect contrast in Jiren, flowing like water while he stays grounded like a rock. I'm fascinated to learn more about it going forward.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 am

Lionel wrote:
hunduel wrote:What I truly care about right now is its accessibility. Is it going to be a saiyan-only thing again, or will other races (humans, namekians, etc.) will be able to tap it under the right circumstances?
Ideally it would be afforded to others that are able to follow in Goku's footsteps. However, knowing how Dragon Ball seems to operate, you're essentially asking for the same as anyone else acquiring the Kaioken. So for now, at least, I'm going to remain incredulous about anyone else receiving the form.
Yeah, I know, I know... but one can dream, I guess?

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am

Kataphrut wrote:There's almost certainly going to be a "mastered" version of it at some point. Here Goku was basically running on adrenaline. Considering he was gaining on Jiren toward the end, give him some energy and time to recover, and round 2 might not seem so insurmountable.

Whether it's a transformation or not, it's going to be treated as such going forward. Kaioken and Ultimate Gohan aren't "transformations", but that's how they're presented in video games and the like. I still maintain however that this is the best new form since Super Saiyan 2. Aside from the fact that it isn't a Saiyan-exclusive thing for once (which the previous God forms really didn't need to be), it was well explained, built up throughout the series and has an appreciable difference in how battles are fought beyond "oh, he's stronger now". It ties into the core themes of the series and has some nice subtle parallels with other forms. It's like Potential Unleashed but emphasising sense and movement rather than power. It's the inverse of Super Saiyan 4, representing zen-like calm instead of primal fury. It already has the perfect contrast in Jiren, flowing like water while he stays grounded like a rock. I'm fascinated to learn more about it going forward.

I would argue its the only form that can compete with the awe inducing OG SSj. better than SSj2.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am

Isn't the "Omen" thing only referred to in that Dokkan Battle thing? No where else seemed to use it just "Ultra Instinct".

DSB wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:There's almost certainly going to be a "mastered" version of it at some point. Here Goku was basically running on adrenaline. Considering he was gaining on Jiren toward the end, give him some energy and time to recover, and round 2 might not seem so insurmountable.

I would argue its the only form that can compete with the awe inducing OG SSj. better than SSj2.
I wouldn't call OG SS "awe inducing" it turned a Saiyans hair a random yellow with green eyes, this form easily surpasses it, Ultra Instinct is what the Original Super Saiyan should have been.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 pm

DSB wrote:Apparently thats the name given. Obviously Ultra Instinct is the name of the ability. But what is the "Omen"?

Also i would like to point out that:
  • IT IS a Transformation. Not JUST an ability like kaioken. Its a Full Blown [maybe Non Saiyan based?] transformation. Goku accesses the Ultra Instinct ability THROUGH this form.
  • It was NOT achieved by absorbing the Spirit Bomb. Some people misunderstood what Whis said. He said when the Spirit Bomb energy was entering goku, he was resisting it, Goku broke though his Limits to stop being destroyed by the Spirit Bomb energy.
  • The energy he used to fight Jiren was taken from the Spirit Bomb, to Power HIMSELF, NOT to access the transformation
PS: I really hope its the end of SSj forms for Goku. This is new. This should stay with him only.
I love it as well. If Toriyama came up with it, I think its genius for a few reasons. For one it not being another "Saiyan" form and an actual ability means that Goku can go a different way on building himself so they can get away from the tackiness of transformations that I think he caught onto - that or that him having a new form resembling his base, makes it fit in closer with the EOZ.

I'm also glad that it wasn't a transformation nor was it achieved from Goku absorbing the Spirit Bomb, but just the pressure of it nearly destroying him and whatever happened to him in the black-hole is what caused him to transcend himself. Like a real Godly state. It also makes sense because the Genki Dama being "health energy" or "life energy" just healed Goku beyond normal limits. Even if it didn't make the form, it revitalizing him into that ability would make sense as well. Its just not required
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Duo wrote:Loved it. Had nothing to do with being a Saiyan or a God or any previous bullshit. All about a warrior surpassing his limits. Transformation or technique doesn't matter to me. Goku was forced to better himself beyond all of that and it was amazing. The fact it wasn't good enough is even better, because surpassing your limits in real life doesn't always lead to victory. So good.
Duo, you perfectly summed up what I loved about Ultra Instinct as well. I alluded to these features when I reviewed the episode:
The theory that Goku used his own power to prevent himself from being consumed by the energy of the Genki Dama when it collapsed in on itself and exploded is thematically ingenious. Goku has always been a character who has preferred to break through thresholds of new heights in power with his own devices, and that is something that was mentioned back in Battle Of Gods was how Goku didn't like having to borrow the energy of others to reach a new realm of power and throughout several instances in the original story. So the idea that Goku fought against the very power he collected from his allies in attempt to defeat Jiren, and process of the clash between his own power and the power of the Genki Dama, reached a new plateau of strength, is a magnificent evolution of the subtle context for which Goku approaches strength and attaining new forms. Goku seeks for any opportunity to challenge himself but at the same time doesn't want the personal burden of feeling as though he has to borrow from others to break though any glass ceilings of power. His personal drive in truly unlike any other character in Dragon Ball and this episode of Super truly has emphasized that.
In a relativity short time period, you have made yourself into one of the best members on this Forum of all time. Your consistency of thoughtful writing and meaningful recognition of such in others has legitimately enriched my experience here. Can't really express my gratitude enough.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 am

Duo wrote: In a relativity short time period, you have made yourself into one of the best members on this Forum of all time. Your consistency of thoughtful writing and meaningful recognition of such in others has legitimately enriched my experience here. Can't really express my gratitude enough.
Thinking about how this state connects exactly to that line in the BOG movie actually makes this form much more significant than I previously considered.
Goku not wanting the borrow power from others to gain new power, only for him now to fight against that same element to push himself beyond his limits that required it to begin with in both fights with Beerus and now Jiren definitely needs to be notified. I had forgotten that, and the BOG movie being my favorite interpretation of Goku's character as well. Genius evolution for Goku's character.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:40 am

Duo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The theory that Goku used his own power to prevent himself from being consumed by the energy of the Genki Dama when it collapsed in on itself and exploded is thematically ingenious. Goku has always been a character who has preferred to break through thresholds of new heights in power with his own devices, and that is something that was mentioned back in Battle Of Gods with how Goku didn't like having to borrow the energy of others to reach a new realm of power and throughout several instances in the original story. So the idea that Goku fought against the very power he collected from his allies in an attempt to defeat Jiren, and in the process of the clash between his own power and the power of the Genki Dama, reached a new plateau of strength, is a magnificent evolution of the subtle context for which Goku approaches strength and attaining new forms. Goku seeks for any opportunity to challenge himself but at the same time doesn't want the personal burden of feeling as though he has to borrow from others to break though any glass ceilings of power. His personal drive in truly unlike any other character in Dragon Ball and this episode of Super truly has emphasized that.
In a relativity short time period, you have made yourself into one of the best members on this Forum of all time. Your consistency of thoughtful writing and meaningful recognition of such in others has legitimately enriched my experience here. Can't really express my gratitude enough.
Thank you very much for those kind word, Duo.

Super, in both the anime and the manga, has this unorthodox habit of including subtle nuances and nods from other Dragon Ball stories which help elevate their own story. It was done to wonderful effect in Episode 105 and it was executed even better in Episode 110. There are quite a few episodes like this in Super. Where you can tell that the show wants to be more than what it's destined to be always.

Dragon Ball Super is ultimately a hastily produced toy commercial that panders to the nostalgia of older fans while hooking in new young fans. But when the show takes that gamble to be more than ordinary, to be more than what it already is, most of the time, it spectacularly pays off. I don't know whether it's the series director(s), or the writers, or Toriyama or the existential producers of the show, or even Toyotaro, but you can tell someone among the vast pool of the people who are putting Dragon Ball Super together wants the show to more than the sum of its parts. For every bad episode in the Super anime or mediocre chapter of the Super manga, there always that one episode or chapter that makes you think, "Man, the Dragon Ball Super would be great if it kept doing this more often." C'est la vie.

I still need to work on my proof reading though. I think I'm gonna stop posting on this forum through on my phone while at work. Maybe that will solve the problem. :lol:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Thinking about how this state connects exactly to that line in the BOG movie actually makes this form much more significant than I previously considered. Goku not wanting the borrow power from others to gain new power, only for him now to fight against that same element to push himself beyond his limits that required it to begin with in both fights with Beerus and now Jiren definitely needs to be notified. I had forgotten that, and the BOG movie being my favorite interpretation of Goku's character as well. Genius evolution for Goku's character.
You know, I didn't make the connection with Goku reaffirmation of how Goku prefer using his own devices to fight and attain new echelons of power until Whis made the comment of Goku fought against being consumed by the power of Genki Dama. It then dawned on me how Goku stance was when he attained Super Saiyan God. Not to mention how Vegeta acts the same way as well, especially with how he brute forces his way to Super Saiyan Blue with the use of Super Saiyan God ritual.

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 am

Good stuff.

There's so many things I love about this transformation. For once, there were no ATATATATATATATA's, no constant screaming, rage that powers up transformations none of that.
Instead it made perfect sense. They even gave an explanation and it tied in with ROF arc. Mind without mind is a very real concept. Seeing Goku all calm yet so furious was exceptional. Felt like watching the Terminator. There's a scary calm about him yet that is also the reason he comes across so scary. The combination of that new transformation WITH his UI ability that Whis tried to teach was magical to witness. I legit never felt that magic ever again since Goku turned SSJ1 first time because it was so different, unlike anything I've ever seen. This transformation came so close to me, I really felt like that kid again watching him go SSJ1 for the first time. Not only that this is now my fav transformation.

On top of that. This isn't even the final transformation. It's missing the slit eyes, spiky hair and even more colorful aura and halos. TOEI really did such a wonderful job on this transformation. And they didn't outright do the cliche trope of weak guy gets power, stomps opponent. Goku lost because he ran out of the form. Goku is going to earn it the hard way next time they match up. Just brilliant stuff. Can't wait for when Goku is fully at his max on this form with those slit eyes, spiky hair etc. Already drooling here waiting for that moment.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Great stuff Lord Beerus. Goku and Beerus are such an awesome duo (no pun intended) too. Seeing Beerus with so many different feelings. Impossible to not love the guy.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 pm

[quote="KidGoku>3"]Good stuff.

There's so many things I love about this transformation. For once, there were no ATATATATATATATA's, no constant screaming, rage that powers up transformations none of that.
Instead it made perfect sense. They even gave an explanation and it tied in with ROF arc. Mind without mind is a very real concept. Seeing Goku all calm yet so furious was exceptional. Felt like watching the Terminator. There's a scary calm about him yet that is also the reason he comes across so scary. The combination of that new transformation WITH his UI ability that Whis tried to teach was magical to witness. I legit never felt that magic ever again since Goku turned SSJ1 first time because it was so different, unlike anything I've ever seen. This transformation came so close to me, I really felt like that kid again watching him go SSJ1 for the first time. Not only that this is now my fav transformation.

On top of that. This isn't even the final transformation. It's missing the slit eyes, spiky hair and even more colorful aura and halos. TOEI really did such a wonderful job on this transformation. And they didn't outright do the cliche trope of weak guy gets power, stomps opponent. Goku lost because he ran out of the form. Goku is going to earn it the hard way next time they match up. Just brilliant stuff. Can't wait for when Goku is fully at his max on this form with those slit eyes, spiky hair etc. Already drooling here waiting for that moment.

I believe the Slit eyes where a wrong thing. I'm even doubting a shirtless Goku. What can make Goku even more beat up now so that he would lose his shirt???

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Yeah you're right about the slit eyes thing. Dunno to me it felt like the transformation was incomplete (especially his hair not being spiky) plus DBS loves to feed us with nostalgia and callbacks so shirtless Goku is like a must in that regard dunno how but I feel like we'll get that moment.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm

DSB wrote: On top of that. This isn't even the final transformation. It's missing the slit eyes, spiky hair and even more colorful aura and halos. TOEI really did such a wonderful job on this transformation. And they didn't outright do the cliche trope of weak guy gets power, stomps opponent. Goku lost because he ran out of the form. Goku is going to earn it the hard way next time they match up. Just brilliant stuff. Can't wait for when Goku is fully at his max on this form with those slit eyes, spiky hair etc. Already drooling here waiting for that moment.

I believe the Slit eyes where a wrong thing. I'm even doubting a shirtless Goku. What can make Goku even more beat up now so that he would lose his shirt???
There weren't any slit eyes. If you're referring to the promo image first revealing it, that looks pretty clearly to be just a bright reflection over his eyes that just makes it look "slightly" like slits, but they're just the silver irises and black pupils we saw in episode #110 just partially obscured by that reflection.

Outside of the shirt being missing, there's no difference visually between what we saw during their fight and what we saw in the promo.
Last edited by Darkprince410 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.