Why Were The Z Senshi So Useless Against Nappa?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why Were The Z Senshi So Useless Against Nappa?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 pm

SuperSaiyanMastaDon wrote:I don't agree with that. Kikoho did hardly any damage. Piccolo was not aware of just how strong Nappa was at the time, Piccolo is just starting to see the depths of Nappa's power. Kikoho clearly would have done some insane damage to Piccolo, if not killed him.

2,800 is treated like a real serious threat, I think it's definitely several levels higher than Kikoho.
Nappa is also instantly recovering from Goku's enraged blows and takes little damage from that. Goku even says he's a tough one.

Nobody treats Masenko as a serious threat. When Vegeta yells it's 2,800, Nappa is like "2,800 eh?" And deflects it.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

tasuxeda

Post by tasuxeda » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 am

The way I see it experience likely played a large part of it Nappa is in his 50's and likely spend the majority of his live in various battlefields fighting and by comparison the Z Senshi are younger and mostly don't have real combat experience

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 pm

tasuxeda wrote:The way I see it experience likely played a large part of it Nappa is in his 50's and likely spend the majority of his live in various battlefields fighting and by comparison the Z Senshi are younger and mostly don't have real combat experience
It seemed more like just a brute strength advantage for me. He goes on a rampage beating up everyone and tanking every blast. On skill he is quite outmatched, considering how Kuririn tangos with Nappa and almost kills him.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:42 pm

I was wondering, we see Nappa power up before fight with Z Warriors, and later during fight with Goku, maybe 4.000 isn't his full power? On the other hand, that contradicts what Vegeta and later Freeza soldiers say:
Vegeta "They (Earthlings) have this strange ability that allow then to control PL at will"
Ginyu Force "Changing PL without transformation is very rare, Vegeta-chan found interesting allies"
Vegeta himself learnt how to control PL after battle on Earth.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 pm

coola wrote:I was wondering, we see Nappa power up before fight with Z Warriors, and later during fight with Goku, maybe 4.000 isn't his full power? On the other hand, that contradicts what Vegeta and later Freeza soldiers say:
Vegeta "They (Earthlings) have this strange ability that allow then to control PL at will"
Ginyu Force "Changing PL without transformation is very rare, Vegeta-chan found interesting allies"
As I understand it (from the Funi Kai dub) is that they're referring specifically to the ability to suppress one's battle power below it's normal "resting" level. If you were to take it a step further, charging up one's ki is still dependent on what its base power was, whereas a transformation like Zarbon's or Super Saiyan (or Frieza's suppressive transformations) affects the base battle power in a less temporary way.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Another reason: Master Roshi wasn't there.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 pm

coola wrote:I was wondering, we see Nappa power up before fight with Z Warriors, and later during fight with Goku, maybe 4.000 isn't his full power? On the other hand, that contradicts what Vegeta and later Freeza soldiers say:
They were altering their Ki output, but not their power levels. Even though Vegeta and Nappa have done all those power ups, someone with a scouter would still see their powers as 8,000 and 18,000.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Lionel wrote:Because their minds have been dulled to accommodate the daunting impressionability that needs to be conveyed by these two antagonists. No Mafuba, no Kienzan, no "genius" creativity with the magic -- all has to pan out in the correct manner to establish how helpless everyone is without Goku around to muscle his way through the opposition. The characters don't even remember all of the techniques they have like arm extension for Piccolo which, you know, would have really come in handy when Gohan was about to get killed by Nappa.
They try the Kienzan and it's doubtful the mafuba would've worked. It's not plot, it's well within character that at least Vegeta wouldn't have lost to either attack. You think the arm extention would've helped him get there faster?

They were useless because Nappa was much stronger than any of them. It's that simple.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

I'm sure it is. Characters with multivarious avenues of approach with a moderately varied repertoire of abilities and several bodies to tactically position and utilise for the purposes of leveraging positional and offensive advantages against the enemy yet the most they can do is a three-step blindside and going with a straightforward pitch while hoping that the opponent obliges the gesture.

You'll forgive me if I don't think what happened in that fight was the best performance that could have been mustered.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am

You can't compare it to real life in that manner. In DB world, at some point it doesn't matter what the tactics are, some characters are too powerful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 pm

ABED wrote:You can't compare it to real life in that manner. In DB world, at some point it doesn't matter what the tactics are, some characters are too powerful.
Not exactly true, as long as you know what you're doing and the difference isn't so great that you are basically a cricket fighting a mountain.
Let's imagine that Tenshinhan blinds Nappa with the Taiyōken and Krillin comes in with a Kienzan. There you go— two halves of a dead space monkey. We also don't ever see too many "sensitive attacks" anymore. It's very hard to build durability in your groin or neck, for example. Pump some thunderous punches to Nappa's family jewels and I bet you he won't be able to even stand after a while.
What's more, stamina is still a big deal in the world of Dragon Ball (sorta). I've long since hypothesized that there must be a reversed form of Kaiōken, which I've named Kyōka-tai (Reinforced Body) where you could theoretically be able to increase your ki output to absorb blows from opponents much stronger than yourself. If you are able to time it right and not overexert yourself, you could wear out your opponent and then counterattack.

In Nappa's case though, it really is a situation where the Zetto Senshi are up against someone who is more powerful and more experienced than all of them combined. Saiyans are a warrior race by nature and have much more durable bodies, essentially meaning that if a Saiyan and a Human had the same power level, the Saiyan is still technically more capable. Not to mention that Nappa was supposedly in his 50s and lived a life of warfare and combat throughout it all.
Relating it to something I read a while back, remember when AlphaGo defeated Lee Sedol back in 2016? And how AlphaZero was described as playing "chess from another dimension"? The senshi are a bunch of Lee Sedols and Ke Jies, but in terms of martial arts and ki mastery. The Saiyans were like AlphaZeroes from 2037. It's martial arts vs. entities who are literally designed for that purpose and occupy a strata of skill and strength that you will never know without literal help from god or technology.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
ABED wrote:You can't compare it to real life in that manner. In DB world, at some point it doesn't matter what the tactics are, some characters are too powerful.
Not exactly true, as long as you know what you're doing and the difference isn't so great that you are basically a cricket fighting a mountain.
Let's imagine that Tenshinhan blinds Nappa with the Taiyōken and Krillin comes in with a Kienzan. There you go— two halves of a dead space monkey. We also don't ever see too many "sensitive attacks" anymore. It's very hard to build durability in your groin or neck, for example. Pump some thunderous punches to Nappa's family jewels and I bet you he won't be able to even stand after a while.
What's more, stamina is still a big deal in the world of Dragon Ball (sorta). I've long since hypothesized that there must be a reversed form of Kaiōken, which I've named Kyōka-tai (Reinforced Body) where you could theoretically be able to increase your ki output to absorb blows from opponents much stronger than yourself. If you are able to time it right and not overexert yourself, you could wear out your opponent and then counterattack.

In Nappa's case though, it really is a situation where the Zetto Senshi are up against someone who is more powerful and more experienced than all of them combined. Saiyans are a warrior race by nature and have much more durable bodies, essentially meaning that if a Saiyan and a Human had the same power level, the Saiyan is still technically more capable. Not to mention that Nappa was supposedly in his 50s and lived a life of warfare and combat throughout it all.
Relating it to something I read a while back, remember when AlphaGo defeated Lee Sedol back in 2016? And how AlphaZero was described as playing "chess from another dimension"? The senshi are a bunch of Lee Sedols and Ke Jies, but in terms of martial arts and ki mastery. The Saiyans were like AlphaZeroes from 2037. It's martial arts vs. entities who are literally designed for that purpose and occupy a strata of skill and strength that you will never know without literal help from god or technology.
Hence why I wrote "at some point".