What Can Or Might Be Vegeta's Next Transformation?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

What Can Or Might Be Vegeta's Next Transformation?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 am

Vegeta decided to stick with the SSJG lineage rather than strive for UI like Goku did so where could he go from there? SSJBE was interesting but its not a fundementally different transformation from SSJB, it just has more emphasized blue-shading and the general increase in power that form-upgrades bring. What can really shake things up? Maybe SSJ Purple to signify that Vegeta has mixed the fiery appearance of SSJG with the more ambient glow of SSJB? Or how about bigger/longer hair making reference to the original SSJ lineage?
What do you want to see or what you think may be seen in the future?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

sintzu
Banned

Re: What Can Or Might Be Vegeta's Next Transformation?

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Both the manga and anime hinted at Vegeta doing his own thing which will be great if that's what Toriyama wants to do. If I remember correctly, during the fight with Kid Buu, Vegeta called Ssj3 useless because it was unreliable which resulted in him never using it, despite being able to. UI is even less reliable so Vegeta may decide to find a power that doesn't rely on pure luck which will differentiate him from Goku.

One thing he could do is try to find a way to reach Broly's Ozaru state and maybe reach Ssj4 from there.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Retiring and becoming a full-time father.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 pm Both the manga and anime hinted at Vegeta doing his own thing which will be great if that's what Toriyama wants to do. If I remember correctly, during the fight with Kid Buu, Vegeta called Ssj3 useless because it was unreliable which resulted in him never using it, despite being able to. UI is even less reliable so Vegeta may decide to find a power that doesn't rely on pure luck which will differentiate him from Goku.

One thing he could do is try to find a way to reach Broly's Ozaru state and maybe reach Ssj4 from there.
It'd be a decent way to have the two differentiate based on their origins. Vegeta, always proud of his Saiyan heritage, achieves a transformation directly referencing it, while Goku pushes his mastery of UI, a form he was inspired to achieve thanks to Master Roshi's last teachings.

*begins popping popcorn*
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pmRetiring and becoming a full-time father.
He can do that once DB is over.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:10 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm
He can. He can also do that before it is over.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm Retiring and becoming a full-time father.
Why would he? That's out of character even for GT Vegeta.

It's almost as stupid as saying Goku should retire from combat.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm

theherodjl wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 am Vegeta decided to stick with the SSJG lineage rather than strive for UI like Goku did so where could he go from there? SSJBE was interesting but its not a fundementally different transformation from SSJB, it just has more emphasized blue-shading and the general increase in power that form-upgrades bring. What can really shake things up? Maybe SSJ Purple to signify that Vegeta has mixed the fiery appearance of SSJG with the more ambient glow of SSJB? Or how about bigger/longer hair making reference to the original SSJ lineage?
What do you want to see or what you think may be seen in the future?
Probably another variation of the SSJ transformations, since Vegeta explicitly wants to grow as a Saiyan, whereas Goku wants to grow generally as a martial artist.

It was a good idea to have Vegeta get his own thing rather than chase UI after Goku.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 pm

How about finding a way to incorporate the power of Super Saiyan 2 and Oozaru into blue? Perhaps through that means he could start to become competitive against Goku at his strongest once again. With that said, a gap should still exist between them in the sense of mentality and skill. At equal levels, Goku should still have the advantage. Vegeta might have obtained equatable power but couldn't it be said that he neglected his technical ability in the process?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:10 pm
But why?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am

ruler9871 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm
Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm Retiring and becoming a full-time father.
Why would he? That's out of character even for GT Vegeta.

It's almost as stupid as saying Goku should retire from combat.
Why wouldn't he? How's that out of character for GT Vegeta?

How is that as stupid as Goku retiring from combat? Goku outlasts all of his peers by the end of the story. Vegeta largely retiring would be one more step on the way to that foregone conclusion.
PFM18 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 pm
Zephyr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:10 pm

But why?
He's already showing early warning signs. Willing to miss a fun tournament to see his daughter's birth, giving up on someone's teachings because he's too stubborn. Goku wouldn't do either of those things.

He can and might follow Gohan and Kurilin into family-focused retirement, where they all stay in shape, obviously, but they're not in the Big Fight anymore.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 amHe can and might follow Gohan and Kurilin into family-focused retirement, where they all stay in shape, obviously, but they're not in the Big Fight anymore.
Why would you want a show just focused on Goku ? If anything more of the Z fighters should be involved with the big fights.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 am

sintzu wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am
Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 amHe can and might follow Gohan and Kurilin into family-focused retirement, where they all stay in shape, obviously, but they're not in the Big Fight anymore.
Why would you want a show just focused on Goku ? If anything more of the Z fighters should be involved with the big fights.
Why would Vegeta retiring mean Goku's the only character left to focus on? Beers, Freeza, Geran, Broli, and Oob are still in the equation.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:50 am

Lionel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 pm How about finding a way to incorporate the power of Super Saiyan 2 and Oozaru into blue? Perhaps through that means he could start to become competitive against Goku at his strongest once again. With that said, a gap should still exist between them in the sense of mentality and skill. At equal levels, Goku should still have the advantage. Vegeta might have obtained equatable power but couldn't it be said that he neglected his technical ability in the process?
I'm keen on the idea that Vegeta will eventually pull ahead of Goku in raw power, not being as technical but having the strength & speed advantage enough to stalemate Goku's comparatively skill-based style. That's quite fine though since that has always been the way Vegeta has gone about it, he simply wants to be the strongest Saiyan & strongest fighter in the universe. It has never mattered to Vegeta on how much he hones his ability when he can just have ever-growing physical stats which is a logical goal with how DB's rule of "stronger fighter = winner" works.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 am

Vegeta's been Blue. Next he'll be Cyan. Get it? Super Cyan?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am He's already showing early warning signs. Willing to miss a fun tournament to see his daughter's birth, giving up on someone's teachings because he's too stubborn. Goku wouldn't do either of those things.
When did he give up on someone's teachings out of stubbornness?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 pm

I wonder about this too. I was thinking that maybe Vegeta will actually just grow his Super Saiyan Blue form stronger to reach the level of power Goku achieves through UI? But then, that would make no sense because one would expect Goku’s Blue form to keep up and Vegeta has already achieved an higher form than normal Blue.

I don’t think he will be able to achieve the same Oozaru power Broly used, as that will probably stay an exclusive Broly trait, so what can Vegeta do? I think he will keep on improving his God transformations: maybe he could achieve some sort of Super Saiyan 2 Blue, if that’s possible which I doubt it is.

If I had to come up with an exclusive power-up for Vegeta different than Goku’s, I would introduce a new, hidden Saiyan form that the Saiyan ancestors had access to and which was carried through the Vegeta family’s royale bloodline: it would be a more noble type of power compared to Broly’s more primal one, and fitting of the Saiyan prince.

Maybe some sort of “Ultra” power that enhances the senses to the extreme to the point one can accurately analyse the opponent’s fighting style, their patterns, their true power (even if concealed), their techniques etcetera and come up in with an accurate, near infallible battle plan within milliseconds. Call it hyper/ultra thinking or whatever, to tie-in with Whis’ comments of Vegeta always thinking too much (Goku being too careless lead him towards Ultra Instinct, after all).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

PFM18 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm
Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am He's already showing early warning signs. Willing to miss a fun tournament to see his daughter's birth, giving up on someone's teachings because he's too stubborn. Goku wouldn't do either of those things.
"Forget Ultra Instinct, I'm gonna go my own way instead!"

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am
How is that as stupid as Goku retiring from combat? Goku outlasts all of his peers by the end of the story. Vegeta largely retiring would be one more step on the way to that foregone conclusion.

He's already showing early warning signs. Willing to miss a fun tournament to see his daughter's birth, giving up on someone's teachings because he's too stubborn. Goku wouldn't do either of those things.

He can and might follow Gohan and Kurilin into family-focused retirement, where they all stay in shape, obviously, but they're not in the Big Fight anymore.
1. Goku wasn't the strongest guy at the end of the original manga, nor was he anywhere near the strongest at the end of Super. And the only reason he's the best at the end of GT is because everyone else died of old age.

Neither Toriyama nor Toei is nearly as insistent on Goku being number 1 as you make it sound. Remember, this is the same author who initially wanted to retire Goku after the Cell Games.

2. What warning signs? He only initially turned down the ToP because:

A) He wanted to wait until Bulla was born.
B) He wasn't aware of the real stakes at first.

Him refusing someone else's teachings/advice in the manga version (this never happens in the anime) has nothing to do with wanting to retire either. He had the same issue in the original manga, being to egotistical to accept the aid of others.

3. Vegeta is not Gohan nor Krillin, he's fundamentally different from both of those characters. Even in GT, he never wants to sit out of the main conflict even if he's outmatched. So yes, its very stupid.

And Gohan & Krillin didn't stay in shape after the Buu arc. They stopped training all together, lose much of their power and even much of their muscle mass.
Last edited by ruler9871 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm
PFM18 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm
"Forget Ultra Instinct, I'm gonna go my own way instead!"
Wanting to power-up in your own way that works for you =/= wanting to retire, so you make made a fallacy.