Vegeta's Assist in the defeat of Cell Manga vs Anime

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Vegeta's Assist in the defeat of Cell Manga vs Anime

Post by omegacwa » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am

I've always felt that Vegeta's assist in the defeat of Cell was more meaningful in the Manga since he is the only one who steps in to help Gohan, while in the anime the other Z Senshi try and fail.

Vegeta being the only one to try to help is a huge turning point for his character and is when I feel like he officially went from being a villain to a hero.

How do you guys feel about the two different versions of this scene?

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Vegeta's Assist in the defeat of Cell Manga vs Anime

Post by TobyS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

omegacwa wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am I've always felt that Vegeta's assist in the defeat of Cell was more meaningful in the Manga since he is the only one who steps in to help Gohan, while in the anime the other Z Senshi try and fail.

Vegeta being the only one to try to help is a huge turning point for his character and is when I feel like he officially went from being a villain to a hero.

I don't think it reflects much differently for characterisation. Either only Vegeta was strong enough or the others just didn't have time, Vegeta was much nearer to them both than the others were.

If anything the anime makes Vegeta look worse as he holds out for ages before helping and the others look weak for so no reason because all of them combined with multiple attacks can't do more than one attack from wounded, possibly base, Vegeta.

Mangas just better always IMO.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Anime completely ruined entire scene. In manga Vegeta was the only one to help and it made sense for Piccolo to say that he did a brave thing. In anime not only it didn't make any sense but also they made Vegeta look like a coward since he was the ONLY one who didn't help until the very end.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 am

It was better in the anime because they gave relevance to the the other characters, even though their attacks did nothing to Cell the whole scene was more epic and dramatic than the Manga.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm Anime completely ruined entire scene. In manga Vegeta was the only one to help and it made sense for Piccolo to say that he did a brave thing. In anime not only it didn't make any sense but also they made Vegeta look like a coward since he was the ONLY one who didn't help until the very end.
I think this kind of writing is what lead to Vegeta being scared and weak in movie 8 (one of the things I hate about that movie).

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

The anime version saw a great opportunity and took it, it just chose to go about it in a way that undermined Vegeta. The manga's version is simple by compare but is both an actual surprise- last we saw Vegeta he was on the ground and had seemingly given up- and some actual comeuppance for Vegeta after his repeatedly failing since axing #19. But in getting the other characters back into the fight, Vegeta's not doing so suddenly sticks out, and since we know Vegeta wanted to attack Cell and isn't just being his movie party-pooper self, it is some of the worst hand wringing he's ever done.
omegacwa wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 amI think this kind of writing is what lead to Vegeta being scared and weak in movie 8 (one of the things I hate about that movie).
Sounds like the same thought process, yeah.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Not only does the anime version undermine Vegeta's assist completely (which also undermines his arc,) it just drags the end of the fight way too much. I don't need to see the supporting cast contribute and I certainly don't need to hear their thoughts on Goku & Gohan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I absolutely loved the Earthlings trying to aid Gohan is his beam struggle against Cell. They know they can't make a difference, but that doesn't defer them from wanting to make difference. The additional internal dialogue of how Gohan and/or Goku inspired them as martial artists, is just the cherry on top of the cake. Just brings wonderful and wholesome personal closure for some of the supporting cast while also elevating the desperate scenario everyone was facing against Cell, which in turn, makes Vegeta's intervention all the more impactful.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:10 pm

the anime scene does a little less for vegeta's character, but it really does a lot more the earthlings, and seeing as they all more or less retired as fighting characters in the boo arc, it's a pretty decent last hurrah for them (even if they don't do anything in the grand scheme of things, it feels very meaningful), and seeing their thoughts and thanks to goku and gohan during it adds a lot of emotion too the beam struggle, as long as to the characters and really the arc itself. and i don't think it hurts vegeta's character that much, it just does a little less for him, but in terms of emotion and drama and all that stuff, i think the anime version improved on it quite a bit.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 pm I absolutely loved the Earthlings trying to aid Gohan is his beam struggle against Cell. They know they can't make a difference, but that doesn't defer them from wanting to make difference. The additional internal dialogue of how Gohan and/or Goku inspired them as martial artists, is just the cherry on top of the cake. Just brings wonderful and wholesome personal closure for some of the supporting cast while also elevating the desperate scenario everyone was facing against Cell, which in turn, makes Vegeta's intervention all the more impactful.
This is exactlyy how I feel as well.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:32 pm

TobyS wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am
omegacwa wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am I've always felt that Vegeta's assist in the defeat of Cell was more meaningful in the Manga since he is the only one who steps in to help Gohan, while in the anime the other Z Senshi try and fail.

I don't think it reflects much differently for characterisation. Either only Vegeta was strong enough or the others just didn't have time, Vegeta was much nearer to them both than the others were.

If anything the anime makes Vegeta look worse as he holds out for ages before helping and the others look weak for so no reason because all of them combined with multiple attacks can't do more than one attack from wounded, possibly base, Vegeta.

Mangas just better always IMO.
Vegeta was Super Saiyan in the anime.

Anyways, I like the anime version more. I understand it kinda undermines Vegeta's contribution but it's much more in-character for the rest of the Z-Warriors to help Gohan out despite the odds than to just stand around and do nothing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.