Why didn’t Vegeta get a power up after training a 2nd year in the ROTS

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Why didn’t Vegeta get a power up after training a 2nd year in the ROTS

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:08 pm

This always bugged me. Why didn’t Vegeta get a power up after training a 2nd year in the Room of Time and Spirit? He was basically a new character after having spent his first year with Trunks. Then, he clearly states the benefits of Goku living 24/7 as a Super Saiyan. And yet, he doesn’t seem to adopt this strategy when spending his 2nd year inside the room. When he fights during the Cell games, he seems identical to his level after exiting the ROTS for the first time. So, was his 2nd year inside a total waste of time?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Why didn’t Vegeta get a power up after training a 2nd year in the ROTS

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Vegeta's training was flawed, in that he refused to train with Trunks, and he refused to follow Goku's footsteps. I have no doubt that he was stornger than he was against Cell, but nowhere near as strong as Goku.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Like Matches Malone explained, pride and arrogance deterred Vegeta from following Goku's example. If he had adopted those principles then it's quite possible he would have bridged the gap between them by quite a bit.

Having said that, he still improved to the point that he felt confident in being the main attraction at the Cell Games with knowledge of Goku's (half) power in mind from before. It's likely he improved quite a bit, just not enough to really challenge Cell.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

His method proved to be less efficient than Goku’s, but it seems he later adopted at least part of it. He just lacked a good sparring partner after Future Trunks departures.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Torturing your body gives diminishing returns and that seems to be all Vegeta was interested in doing. I don't really have a working theory of how ki works in DB but from what I saw Gohan and Goku used their eleven months to improve how quickly they can call on all their power and how long they can maintain a ki demanding state. For whatever reason, at that stage of their development, that sort of training yielded much better results than Vegeta's self flagellation.

So yeah basically what everyone else said.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

I am pretty sure both him and Trunks obtain grade 4, just not mastery of the form comparable to Goku. I know the form is called MSSJ1 but still

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:00 am

Vegeta did get a power up...just not one that was enough to defeat Cell. The difference in power between Cell's Semi-Perfect and Perfect forms was just that massive, even 1/3rd of Perfect Cell's power left SSJG2 Vegeta in the dust. There was a lot of ground that Vegeta needed to cover which he couldn't simply overcome in time, not with his inferior training method anyways.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Remember Cell games Vegeta thought that 50% Goku that had scared everyone on the lookout before were a joke and the same Cell that embarrassed him and Trunks was nothing so he did power up.

Goku and Gohan's training had three reasons for powering them up, mastering ssj, proper rest and sparring with someone around the same power. Vegeta lacked two of these things in his second trip.