How do Tullece and Goku look alike?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: How do Tullece and Goku look alike?

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:16 pm

I always thought that the similarity between Tullece and Goku was due to low-class Saiyans being very similar appearance-wise, and I liked this because it made Goku look much more like an average joe as he should be.

Of course Tullece was never canonical in the first place, neither to the anime or the manga for obvious reasons, but his existence helped shaping the image I have of Goku.

In that regards, I am of the idea that Minus doesn’t undermine Goku’s average-ness. And I liked how, in Broly’s movie, they even acknowledge Goku would have been sent to a Planet anyways and have Paragus angry at King Vegeta due to treating his son like low-levels trash. This all helped solidifying how Saiyan society works.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 pm
Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:24 pmBecause I assume someone was paid to write them.
Yep. That someone is Takao Koyama, an official entity that works/worked for Toei Animation. Not a random dude making movies in his house's garage. You may want to keep that in mind, by the way. It's not just Akira Toriyama who (can) makes official stuff and everything else becomes "fan fiction". Unless you're using that term as a synonym for "something bad", in which Toriyama obviously is not exempt from doing that.
Didn’t say it was bad, but it ain’t canon either. The only anime that are canon are the three most recent movies and the half hour special. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.
Aim wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm
It never established that he got soft because of his mother. There's a panel in the manga where Son is eating wildly and Gohan comments on how he lacks manners. It's also insinuated they got into a fight when they first came face to face. Image
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
If that's the only reason then you probably won't hate it if you were informed that that explanation is false.
Forgot about the Martial Arts but at no point did I say he behaves the way he does because of his mother.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:20 am

Gligarman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:16 pmbut it ain’t canon either. The only anime that are canon are the three most recent movies and the half hour special. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.
Something not being canonical doesn't mean it's "fan fiction". Anyway, if it is a fact, then I'm sure you can provide a source to back up your claim/"fact".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:53 am

[/quote]
Forgot about the Martial Arts but at no point did I say he behaves the way he does because of his mother.
[/quote]
My mistake, misread what you had said. It wasn’t established that his personality was just like that though.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:20 am
Gligarman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:16 pmbut it ain’t canon either. The only anime that are canon are the three most recent movies and the half hour special. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.
Something not being canonical doesn't mean it's "fan fiction". Anyway, if it is a fact, then I'm sure you can provide a source to back up your claim/"fact".
Obviously it’s not literally fan fiction but most of those movies share a lot of similar tropes that we see in fan fiction, hence the comparison. As for proof, the previously mentioned films and special were written by Toriyama himself. Why do you think none of the characters that were exclusive the anime make an appearance? What more proof do you need?

As for Tullece, I’m sure he exists because they thought it’d be cool to have an evil Goku. An argument could be made that Black was Toriyama’s take on that idea.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 pm
Aim wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
If that's the only reason then you probably won't hate it if you were informed that that explanation is false.
No, it's not the only reason. And I still hate it. :thumbup:
that seems good to me as long as no false ideas are invented
the blow to the head is still "canon"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Gligarman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:22 pmObviously it’s not literally fan fiction but most of those movies share a lot of similar tropes that we see in fan fiction, hence the comparison. As for proof, the previously mentioned films and special were written by Toriyama himself. Why do you think none of the characters that were exclusive the anime make an appearance? What more proof do you need?

As for Tullece, I’m sure he exists because they thought it’d be cool to have an evil Goku. An argument could be made that Black was Toriyama’s take on that idea.
I answered you here.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:56 pm

given that there were no "marriages" or family one can assume that the Saiyans could have many "relatives" without knowing who they were.
one Saiyan could procreate many babys one day and then die murdered tomorrow so as a result many of these children is see like same

another option is that the Saiyans did not have too much genetic traits ... for example there are no Europeans, Latinos or Asians so the similarity between them is normal

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:57 pm

If I remember well, Turles said they look similar because low class saiyans have similar genetics.

By the way, is an old trope to create an evil version of a main character. Turles is another example of it. At the end of that film Bulma said if Goku wouldn’t hit his head, we would be like Turles, and that dialogue line show us the will of Takao Koyama (the plot writer).

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:47 pm

All that's said is that they're both low class soldiers, so I take it the uppers don't mingle with the lowers much. If so, genetic variance would be limited.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:43 am

If Turles was brought into canon, he would be Goku's older half brother, a child from before Bardock was softened by Gine(Toriyama and Gine herself say its weird for saiyans to care about family and children) Gine also says Bardock has unique hair when she says Kakarot has his unique hair. So Turles would just be the older evil half brother, which some dubs and even November, 1991 V-Jump say. So to make it work, Bardock was just like the other saiyans, had a child with a saiyan woman, either didn't know or didn't care to know and never cared to find out.. later meets Gine, she changes him and they have Raditz and later Kakarot... but then only Bardock, Raditz, and Gine knew that Kakarot was sent to a planet called Earth and Vegeta and Nappa had forgotten all about it.. so how did Turles know Kakarot of all Saiyans was there??