Is Super Sayain Rage, SSBKK non canon to the DBS Manga

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Is Super Sayain Rage, SSBKK non canon to the DBS Manga

Post by Young-Jah » Sun May 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Is it's true that Super Sayain Rage, SSB Kaio Ken are non canon to the DBS Manga, and are only canon to the anime only, since the anime and manga are following in a different format?
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is Super Sayain Rage, SSBKK non canon to the DBS Manga

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 10, 2020 4:16 pm

that time when manga was the main thing and was the basis for everything no longer exists ...

The first thing the author did was to continue the story through movies and then move on with a series.
You can take manga as the way to reach manga readers, but for its success it must be different. :think:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Basically, yeah. There are alternatives in the manga though that follow similar premises, though: Trunks has a Mastered Super Saiyan 2 from the start and doesn't evolve beyond that. For a while the manga's closest equivalent to SSBKK was "completed Super Saiyan Blue", but way later in the Tournament of Power Goku claims to have boosted Super Saiyan Blue with the principles of Kaio-ken. I guess we'll have to wait for the full colour releases to see if that made any visual difference.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 pm

What the anime or manga puts out isn't "canon." Canon by definition means "authority."
The anime and manga merely adapt from Toriyama's plotted format of DBS.

What Toriyama writes is actually Dragonball Super. Since it's his story; having none of the manga/anime transformations in his movies: SSR, SSBKK and Full power Super Saiyan Blue [manga] are not "canon."

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun May 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 pm What the anime or manga puts out isn't "canon." Canon by definition means "authority."

What Toriyama writes is actually Dragonball Super. Since it's his story; having none of the manga/anime transformations in his movies: SSR, SSBKK and Full power Super Saiyan Blue [manga] are not "canon."
Toriyama barely writes anything for Super besides the Broly movie.

A paper napkin with a small vague "outline" of what's supposed to happen isn't writing.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 pm

They're not in it, so no. That said, something like SSBE is. Toyotaro is clearly a man of good taste...

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:55 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 pm What the anime or manga puts out isn't "canon." Canon by definition means "authority."

A paper napkin with a small vague "outline" of what's supposed to happen isn't writing.
Incorrect. Toriyama wrote BoG, RoF and Broly. Nothing you posted changes the fact; what he pens, is the actual canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 pm They're not in it, so no. That said, something like SSBE is. Toyotaro is clearly a man of good taste...
Ironic considering Bluer is a horrible form.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 pm They're not in it, so no. That said, something like SSBE is. Toyotaro is clearly a man of good taste...
SSBE exists ... only it is not "named"
vegeta has PU with which he confronts jiren and recovers his aura

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 am

To avoid the canonicity debate, I'll say SSR is the only anime form that isn't part of the manga continuity in any way. He gets no boosts at all, only in the anime that happens, but he chimes in with his healing ability due to being a kaioshin apprentice.

However, the manga has Vegeta using a boosted SSB form similar to SSBE, with a different aura too, although in the manga he gets one boost and not several like in the animé. And Goku as MSSB boosts his power in a similar way as kaioken does. Both forms are short-lived and not "permanent" boosts like in the anime. Goku doesn't use kaioken as great or as casually as in the animé, and it is considered a bad move and sort of a waste of health. In the anime it's a trump card and like a permanent "form".

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon May 11, 2020 10:01 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 am To avoid the canonicity debate, I'll say SSR is the only anime form that isn't part of the manga continuity in any way. He gets no boosts at all, only in the anime that happens, but he chimes in with his healing ability due to being a kaioshin apprentice.

However, the manga has Vegeta using a boosted SSB form similar to SSBE, with a different aura too, although in the manga he gets one boost and not several like in the animé. And Goku as MSSB boosts his power in a similar way as kaioken does. Both forms are short-lived and not "permanent" boosts like in the anime. Goku doesn't use kaioken as great or as casually as in the animé, and it is considered a bad move and sort of a waste of health. In the anime it's a trump card and like a permanent "form".
I'll take credit for your answer my friend.

I think your correct.

There's nothing to avoid.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 am Both forms are short-lived and not "permanent" boosts like in the anime.
Vegeta uses his powered-up blue form against Moro in the manga.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 pm

Incorrect. Toriyama wrote BoG, RoF and Broly. Nothing you posted changes the fact; what he pens, is the actual canon.
The BoG and RoF movies were made for Z, before Super even existed.

"Nothing you posted changes the fact; what he pens, is the actual canon"

Then by that logic almost nothing in Super (anime or manga) is canon, especially the Black arc.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Then by that logic almost nothing in Super (anime or manga) is canon, especially the Black arc.
That's correct. The TV and manga aren't canon since they are only adapted from Toriyama's "original story draft." They are however "continuity" IE; connected. BoG and RoF are what Super stems from. The source material.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon May 11, 2020 10:08 pm

These arguments about what parts of Super are "canon" are always so tiresome because it always comes down to which version outside the movies you prefer, and lots of back and forth arguing over which is more worthy. Whereas I'm pretty sure the whole point is that it doesn't matter which version is correct as long as you experience (read: spend money on) at least one of them.

You can't say it's just the movies because they have to connect from something. Clearly that Tournament of Power movie Goku mentioned in the Broly movie had to happen at some point. It's not like the Clone Wars where we had to imagine what they were talking about for years before getting it confirmed in a sequel years later. We'd just seen two different versions of it, one significantly less boring than the other.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Miracles wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:02 pm

That's correct. The TV and manga aren't canon since they are only adapted from Toriyama's "original story draft." They are however "continuity" IE; connected. BoG and RoF are what Super stems from. The source material.
the biggest lie I've ever seen ... because even those movies aren't even completely written by him and anyway the movies are incomplete and depend on other means

at the end of all dragon ball is currently a composite of various things

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 am

Tai Lung wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 pm

the biggest lie I've ever seen ... because even those movies aren't even completely written by him and anyway the movies are incomplete and depend on other means

No. Whatever Toriyama writes is Dragonball. This is why he rewrote the entire BoG script that TOEI sent him. Since he said it didn't resemble Dragonball's world. Canon by definition is whatever the authority writes, that's Toriyama.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue May 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Miracles wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 am

No. Whatever Toriyama writes is Dragonball. This is why he rewrote the entire BoG script that TOEI sent him. Since he said it didn't resemble Dragonball's world. Canon by definition is whatever the authority writes, that's Toriyama.
Analyze what you are saying ... under that logic, not even the original DB manga would be canon because the editors changed several things that the author had originally planned.

toriyama intervenes a lot for sure but it's quite illogical that he created things like ikari transformations and even broly's idea was part of toei's staff

In any case, this discussion does not deserve to be repeated.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue May 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Miracles wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 am

Analyze what you are saying ... under that logic, not even the original DB manga would be canon because the editors changed several things that the author had originally planned.

toriyama intervenes a lot for sure but it's quite illogical that he created things like ikari transformations and even broly's idea was part of toei's staff

In any case, this discussion does not deserve to be repeated.
The editors didn't write the story nor draw what was agreed upon to be changed with Toriyama. Toriyama himself does the manual revisions. Therefore it's STILL his work, therefore canon.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun May 17, 2020 2:12 am

Miracles wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 pmIncorrect. Toriyama wrote BoG, RoF and Broly. Nothing you posted changes the fact; what he pens, is the actual canon.
Technically he didn't. He came on to BoG after Toei decided to make it and changed numerous aspects of the movie. However, he did not write it at all nor conceive of it, and he didn't rewrite the entire script. For RoF, he came up with the ideas but someone else wrote the actual film script. I believe the same happened for Broly. Toriyama, at most, may think up some character designs now, and he writes general plot outlines. But he isn't writing detailed scripts nor authoring the manga.

As for the above conversation, there is no definitive version of Super. Whereas it used to be that Toriyama drew the manga and the anime was a supplement to it, now the manga is a supplement to the anime (or was until it ended). Both Toei and Toyotaro go from plot point to plot point with their own ideas. This is why the end of the Future Trunks arc is somewhat different in the manga as opposed to the anime (not the very end, but the last few chapters).

In short, there is no "canon." There never has been as Toei and Toriyama have always done things differently. For instance, Toriyama never mentions anything he didn't create such as Coola. He could have easily been mentioned in RoF, but there was no hint of his existence whatsoever. Same for SSB + Kaio-ken in Broly--it was a Toei creation so he didn't reference it. But in the anime, Goku uses that form constantly. The only thing that relates to canon and its existence is the arguments people make about it. That's it.