SSG Gohan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

SSG Gohan?

Post by Mad Swami » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Why doesn't Gohan ever learn SSG. I know he mentions not wanting his Saiyan blood define him as a warrior or whatever but, he'd dwarf nearly every other fighter. He already keeps up with SSB so why not just get it. I just wished there was something about maybe only Full Saiyans could use it but that doesn't even make sense. Let alone SSG Trunks in Heroes shows that it's likely that's not the case.

I don't want him to get it, but for being the smart guy he should realize the benefits of it

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: SSG Gohan?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm

I think Gohan is satisfied with his new power which is a lot of power. He doesn't need to go overboard because he knows his dad and Vegeta have everything covered. He can fight Kefla tier characters now and only a Moro-boosted villain has proven to be stronger than him. I guess he is not really a fighter, so he doesn't have the drive to get even closer to his father's level. He seems ok with being a role player.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am

He doesn't need it when his Ultimate form can get there and beyond without any of the drawbacks.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 am

Kagari wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am He doesn't need it when his Ultimate form can get there and beyond without any of the drawbacks.
Does SSG the red form have any really?

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm I think Gohan is satisfied with his new power which is a lot of power. He doesn't need to go overboard because he knows his dad and Vegeta have everything covered. He can fight Kefla tier characters now and only a Moro-boosted villain has proven to be stronger than him. I guess he is not really a fighter, so he doesn't have the drive to get even closer to his father's level. He seems ok with being a role player.
I mean absolutely. It just I wish their was more of a reason outside of motivation because with it he'd be a monster. It's not that big of a deal, just a small thing for me

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm I think Gohan is satisfied with his new power which is a lot of power. He doesn't need to go overboard because he knows his dad and Vegeta have everything covered. He can fight Kefla tier characters now and only a Moro-boosted villain has proven to be stronger than him. I guess he is not really a fighter, so he doesn't have the drive to get even closer to his father's level . He seems ok with being a role player.
If you paid attention to his development in Super you'd know both of these things are not true. In fact it's because he couldn't step up while his father was away was part of the reason he threw himself back into training on the regular. He realizes he has new things to protect now with his family and he has to keep getting stronger. Gohan's whole thing before the ToP in the anime was driven by proving himself to his father and all of that culminates in episode 90 with their training/spar and both father and son acknowledging those strengths.
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am I mean absolutely. It just I wish their was more of a reason outside of motivation because with it he'd be a monster. It's not that big of a deal, just a small thing for me
Like I said, he doesn't need it when his Ultimate form can do the same thing. It would be really pointless for him to get anything beyond said Ultimate form, else why call it his "ultimate form", y'know?
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 am
Kagari wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am He doesn't need it when his Ultimate form can get there and beyond without any of the drawbacks.
Well it never should have come back to begin with because it's absolutely redundant, but the SS forms have stamina drain and all that.

But really, Heroes will probably give it to Gohan Xeno at some point so you can expect that I suppose.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am

Kagari wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 am
Koitsukai wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm I think Gohan is satisfied with his new power which is a lot of power. He doesn't need to go overboard because he knows his dad and Vegeta have everything covered. He can fight Kefla tier characters now and only a Moro-boosted villain has proven to be stronger than him. I guess he is not really a fighter, so he doesn't have the drive to get even closer to his father's level . He seems ok with being a role player.
If you paid attention to his development in Super you'd know both of these things are not true. In fact it's because he couldn't step up while his father was away was part of the reason he threw himself back into training on the regular. He realizes he has new things to protect now with his family and he has to keep getting stronger. Gohan's whole thing before the ToP in the anime was driven by proving himself to his father and all of that culminates in episode 90 with their training/spar and both father and son acknowledging those strengths.
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am I mean absolutely. It just I wish their was more of a reason outside of motivation because with it he'd be a monster. It's not that big of a deal, just a small thing for me
Like I said, he doesn't need it when his Ultimate form can do the same thing. It would be really pointless for him to get anything beyond said Ultimate form, else why call it his "ultimate form", y'know?
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 am
Well it never should have come back to begin with because it's absolutely redundant, but the SS forms have stamina drain and all that.

But really, Heroes will probably give it to Gohan Xeno at some point so you can expect that I suppose.
I like his ultimate form being his last transformation, I just wish they'd explain more about it. I wish Elder Kai learned more about the witch he fused with and could explain the form better. If they said that the ultimate form conflicts with SSG then that'd be cool with me. Everything which you've said is true but still the fact they never provided any logistical reason slightly bothered me

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm

And if you paid attention to my whole post, you'd know I was referring to his current mindset, and not his pre-ToP persona.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm
And if you paid attention to my whole post, you'd know I was referring to his current mindset, and not his pre-ToP persona.
His current mindset still lines up with how he was handled during the US arc though. Not that much time has passed since then anyway and saying he isn't really a fighter is nonsense because he actively stepped up to fight Moro's henchmen both before and after he found out Earth was being invaded. He trained and got stronger in-between then too. If he wanted to "leave it to dad" as you say, he wouldn't have done those things. Like I said, he knows Goku isn't always going to be around.
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am
I like his ultimate form being his last transformation, I just wish they'd explain more about it. I wish Elder Kai learned more about the witch he fused with and could explain the form better. If they said that the ultimate form conflicts with SSG then that'd be cool with me. Everything which you've said is true but still the fact they never provided any logistical reason slightly bothered me
DB as a whole tends to not go into heavy exposition. That's never really been Toriyama's philosophy with anything, so it's understandable. Most we know is that it's Gohan's potential brought past its limits using a godly technique, and the resulting change altered his ki. Which, I suppose if you think about it, makes it almost like a precursor to the god forms.

As the series went on, particularly in the Universe Survival arc, I think the writers/maybe Toriyama just wanted to have the main saiyans keep with separate paths as well. You have Goku with UI, Vegeta with evolved Blue and Gohan with Ultimate. I'm all for that rather than giving everyone copies of the same thing. Helps give them more defined/iconic identities.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu May 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Gohan's thing was over when Buu absorbed Piccolo, and Gotenks.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Kagari wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:59 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm

His current mindset still lines up with how he was handled during the US arc though. Not that much time has passed since then anyway and saying he isn't really a fighter is nonsense because he actively stepped up to fight Moro's henchmen both before and after he found out Earth was being invaded. He trained and got stronger in-between then too. If he wanted to "leave it to dad" as you say, he wouldn't have done those things. Like I said, he knows Goku isn't always going to be around.
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am
DB as a whole tends to not go into heavy exposition. That's never really been Toriyama's philosophy with anything, so it's understandable. Most we know is that it's Gohan's potential brought past its limits using a godly technique, and the resulting change altered his ki. Which, I suppose if you think about it, makes it almost like a precursor to the god forms.

As the series went on, particularly in the Universe Survival arc, I think the writers/maybe Toriyama just wanted to have the main saiyans keep with separate paths as well. You have Goku with UI, Vegeta with evolved Blue and Gohan with Ultimate. I'm all for that rather than giving everyone copies of the same thing. Helps give them more defined/iconic identities.
Well yeah I enjoy the new pathways, just SSG is not used in situations it should be really. Like why didn't they pitch in and give Future Trunks the SSG power so he could fight Black more?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu May 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Well yeah I enjoy the new pathways, just SSG is not used in situations it should be really. Like why didn't they pitch in and give Future Trunks the SSG power so he could fight Black more?
I imagine they didn't give it to Trunks because they wanted Trunks to face Zamasu/Black using his own power to tie together the whole 'god hates mortals' theme. Throughout the arc Trunks gets told time and time again he needs to solve his own problems and getting SSG for free would go against that.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Kagari wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:34 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I imagine they didn't give it to Trunks because they wanted Trunks to face Zamasu/Black using his own power to tie together the whole 'god hates mortals' theme. Throughout the arc Trunks gets told time and time again he needs to solve his own problems and getting SSG for free would go against that.
Would it? Who tells him that..... Vegeta.... someone with god. He can earn it in some trial. I would have preferred that over the silly new one he got

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri May 22, 2020 9:19 am

Out of universe they have canonically established Gohan has more potential than Goku or Vegeta.

1. So if they did give him the same forms he'd be stronger and in a combat based series he'd end up being the main character which the majority of fans and merchandise oriented runners of the franchise don't like.

2. In universe he's confident he can get to that level as ultimate. Which he probably can as he has the potential and has his potential unlocked and available to him by default.

This creates a bit of a problem where, having struggled with 7-11 would morally and logically be obligated to give up his preferred method and unlock the god forms.

But they can't address this because of 1.

So that's the trap modern Gohan is in.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Probably just because is not convenient for the story and to keep Potential Unlocked as Gohan's last form.
I guess that if ever given an explanation, this will be that is unnecessary because the Potential Unlocked state lets him reach and surpass the ssjg, or that the same saiyajins (the six, five, four, ssjgs or only Goku) can participate in the ritual only one time, if they want to excuse everyone for the future.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat May 23, 2020 7:42 am

It would probably be better for Gohan to unlock God Ki in his Ultimate state rather than revert back to progressing SSJ forms, something he has stated that he doesn't want to trudge back up. If anyone needs to learn SSJG, its Gotenks as he is a very prodigious fusion that could make a comeback at relevancy if he achieved it. Its bad enough that DBS has Goten & Trunks reduced to joke characters but that goes double for their fusion.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 pm

I think there's enough Super Saiyan God's around, plus Gohan has made it clear he'd rather be a family person.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 am

Aim wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 pm I think there's enough Super Saiyan God's around, plus Gohan has made it clear he'd rather be a family person.
I dont want him to have it, just a reasonable excuse

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Aim wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 pm I think there's enough Super Saiyan God's around, plus Gohan has made it clear he'd rather be a family person.
No, he made it clear he wanted to get stronger without going down the same paths his dad is.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 24, 2020 7:55 pm

Kagari wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 pm
No, he made it clear he wanted to get stronger without going down the same paths his dad is.
Yeah he doesn't want to rely on his Saiyan blood to be strong, he wants to be a strong human