Is Goku's stupidity at least partially an act?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is Goku's stupidity at least partially an act?

Post by Peach » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:54 pm

Nope. Just bad writing like that other person above me said.

If you look back at Dragon Ball Z, Goku was simple but not stupid. He took situations seriously. He knew when he went too far and needed to be humble and give up. Even in Battle of Gods, the Frieza movie, and Broly movie, he wasn't that bad. It seems the writers working at Toei who were writing the anime had a misunderstanding of Goku's character and wrote him to be sillier than he actually is...

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:33 pm

Classic Goku (OG Manga, Z/Kai and his Xeno version) isn't stupid at all. He's in fact actually one of the smarter and more reasonable characters in the series when things get serious, especially since the King Piccolo arc.

DBS Goku (both anime and manga) is pretty dumb though, with the manga being even worse with how it would sometimes even regress Goku as a fighter just for some fake development. It's gotten to the point where Vegeta has become the more responsible and reasonable of the two when back in Z it was the opposite.

But GT Goku is by far the dumbest version for the character. It can't think of a single smart or reasonable thing GT Goku has ever done, with his fight against Super 17 showcasing just how much of an idiot he is.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am

Goku is cognitive and self aware enough to keep information to himself in order to maintain his top spot as #1 among the Z warriors. This was particularly evident when he withheld the transformation of becoming a full powered SSJ from Vegeta and Trunks and claimed he wanted to be the strongest. It also would explain why he never shared the kai-o-ken or instant transmission technique with any of the other fighter in between peace times.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:32 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am Goku is cognitive and self aware enough to keep information to himself in order to maintain his top spot as #1 among the Z warriors. This was particularly evident when he withheld the transformation of becoming a full powered SSJ from Vegeta and Trunks and claimed he wanted to be the strongest. It also would explain why he never shared the kai-o-ken or instant transmission technique with any of the other fighter in between peace times.
Well actually I believe that Vegeta and Trunks achieved this on their own. So he felt he didn't need to tell them about it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:59 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:03 am Manga DBS Goku is actually not stupid. He immediately understood how Merus was holding back, for example, but he also immediately thought about Mafuba once he met an immortal opponent.

In the anime he’s only absurdly stupid in the Future Trunks arc and in filler stuff. Universal Survival Arc Goku was perfectly written in the anime, in my opinion.

As for the thread, I believe that some people often mix Goku’s naivety with his stupidity. Yes he’s done some dumb thing at times, but most of the times it was due to his naive nature. That’s why he is pure hearted.
Yes, Black arc Goku was ultra stupid in that saga, especially in the anime version.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:59 pm

He is cheeky about it, but i don't think it's an act, he knows he's dense, but he takes it with a bit of humour.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:21 am

Goku was incredibly stupid in the episode of Beerus inside a costume, didn't catch anything and never figured anything out no matter how obvious. In the 23rd Martial Art Tournament, Goku figured out Kami disguise, knew who was stronger between Tao Pai Pai and Tenshinhan and knew Kami was lying.
In the Buu Saga Goku knew how to use one desire as a way to help, such as with Elder Kaioshin.

DBS Goku is written really bad.

In the Future Trunks Saga of DBS it was dumb. First his idea for eating lots of senzu bean to become immortal. Then forgetting his senzu bean, which he has never done before. Forgetting the urn in the time machine and not getting the tag for the mafuba. We know Master Roshi went inside to get the tag, but Goku didn't get it.

DBS Anime Goku is nothing like DB/DBZ Goku.

I have a list that shows how DBS Anime Goku is inferior compared to DB/DBZ Goku.

Here is the link for the list viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46848&p=1724566&hil ... r#p1724566

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:48 pm

I don't think so.

Goku started off as a goofy character, it makes sense that some of that goofiness would remain later in his character. He still got smarter when he was growing up, well until Super happened and make him genuinely stupid. Even before Z I wouldn't say he's stupid, more like lacking knowledge, the guy never seen girl and he was just curious. There were still times when Goku was serious, or calculative, and let down his goofy, lay down approach.
Not to mention he's martial arts prodigy and battle genius, he had his entire life surrounded around martial arts: Grandpa Gohan, teachings of Roshi, continues training, etc. Being Saiyan gave him power boost, but I think this wouldn't change the fast about him being very smart fight strategist.

Goku is just simple and straight forward. His upbringing and his childhood gave him these characteristics, as for long time he didn't had to treat much of his life seriously, say outside of main arcs.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.