How is Broly in his BASE form stronger than Super Saiyan Blue?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How is Broly in his BASE form stronger than Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by precita » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 am

So this is something I never got. Broly in in the new movie, in his BASE form before he even became Super Saiyan, was fighting toe to toe with Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta.

No matter how much a "prodigy" Broly is, how can he be stronger than Gods in his base form? It just completely destroys the lore of the franchise. This is not even counting how later on Super Saiyan Broly needs Gogeta Blue to be brought down after that (which also doesn't make much sense, but whatever).

Why did they have Broly fight in his base form so much in the movie? I can't comprehend how he's stronger than everyone from the end of DBZ (incuding Super Boo after he absorbed Gohan, Super Saiyan Vegito), and also stronger than Super Saiyan God Goku, Golden Freeza, and also Hit and even Jiren. What on earth?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How is Broly in his BASE form stronger than Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am

Transformations are dumb and should not be approached with rigid rules.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:15 am

He wasn't in base for most of the fight. He was in another type of humanoid oozaru form unique to himself, which is clearly explained in the film. And he probably wasn't above Golden Freeza before transforming into a super saiyan. He might not have overtaken Jiren before going green.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:26 am

It will always, always come down to "plot demands it". No matter how much sense/explanation you want from an in-universe perspective. Power level doesn't make sense since a long time ago (if it ever did).

Though, technically, Broly wasn't in his base form, he was using the power of Oozaru without being an actual Oozaru, but because his hair and eyes changed, that categorizes it as a transformation. Anyway, it still doesn't make any sense.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:54 am

Also this is on top of the fact that Broly was likely never in a real fight before this either, so that doesn't make sense. There's no reason mortals should be stronger than God's. Even at Boo's level is kind of insane due to him being the strongest being Universe 7 ever saw.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:01 am

He wasn't in his base form at all. His base form capped after SS Vegeta beat him up, and then with injections of his dormant power he managed to force Vegeta to go God and was easily defeated. His pure base form does not have to be above Buuhan at all, or even close to it.

To fight the god forms he needed to use his full dormant power by turning Ohzaru without turning ohzaru, so with a huge base form that can rival SS forms he needed a 10x boost to fight SSG, and another boost to trash SSG and fight on par with SSB. If he wasn't a problem for SSB Goku, then hardly one for Hit, Golden Freeza or Jiren at that point.

I mean, the explanation is clear in the movie, pretty much spoonfed to us.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:37 pm

As said above, Broly was not in his Base form.

Base Broly was dominated by SSG Vegeta. He only thought SSB when he transformed into an Oozaru-like power up. Explained in the movie itself. His Base form would have get stomped by SSB if he couldn't even beat SSG.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:44 pm

I mean, even being able to fight people using Super Saiyan God or Blue (or regular ol' SS1, really) with a measly 10x Ape-equivalent power boost is already pretty outrageous. Any way you slice it, the underlying answer is still that Broli is just ridiculously total-bonkers strong to begin with.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Broly in his Super Saiyan form was stronger than Super Saiyan Blue, so in all fairness despite the crazy power escalation in the movie, the scaling between Broly's forms seems pretty consistent. He was strong enough to put up a fight with SS/SSG in his base form, strong enough to put up to beat SSG but get beaten by SSB with a 10x power boost, and then strong enough to defeat two SSBs with a 5x power boost on top of that. What makes less sense is Gogeta's scaling in the movie.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 pm

Super Saiyan Blue is a multiplier not a set power.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:58 am

In my own headcanon, Broly's Oozaru-Base form is actually a pseudo-SSJ4 offshoot that is unique to him. If Future Trunks can have his own specialized SSJ form then Broly can have one too.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 am

Well considering that in this continuity, Broly is effectively 'male Kale' (as TFS put it), and the Universe 7 Saiyans are typically stronger than the Universe 6 ones, it sort of makes sense. Kale in her LSSJ form was able to stand up to SSB Goku after all.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:19 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:01 am He wasn't in his base form at all. His base form capped after SS Vegeta beat him up, and then with injections of his dormant power he managed to force Vegeta to go God and was easily defeated. His pure base form does not have to be above Buuhan at all, or even close to it.

To fight the god forms he needed to use his full dormant power by turning Ohzaru without turning ohzaru, so with a huge base form that can rival SS forms he needed a 10x boost to fight SSG, and another boost to trash SSG and fight on par with SSB. If he wasn't a problem for SSB Goku, then hardly one for Hit, Golden Freeza or Jiren at that point.

I agree with all that, but I doubt his humanoid Oozaru boost was only x10. I think it was amplified beyond that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:51 am

BWri wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:19 am
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:01 am He wasn't in his base form at all. His base form capped after SS Vegeta beat him up, and then with injections of his dormant power he managed to force Vegeta to go God and was easily defeated. His pure base form does not have to be above Buuhan at all, or even close to it.

I agree with all that, but I doubt his humanoid Oozaru boost was only x10. I think it was amplified beyond that.
It's the first time we see this form, so it could be possible that it wasn't just x10. There's clearly more to it than just a 10x boost as seen later.

In any case, he at least gets a x10 boost when going Ikari, another unclear boost -maybe doubling his power?- when he breaks his collar(before, he makes a supressed SSG flee from him, and with it he fights a serious SSG) and a 10x boost to go from SSG to SSB level which is the gap between the forms according to the manga.

10x vs SSG Vegeta
2x his previous power vs SSG Goku
20 x 10 = 200x to trash SSG and fight SSB
or a 100x boost if breaking that collar was just for show.

and 50x on top of that as SS.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 pm

Canonically and IRL, it's simply because he's Broly.

As Markus Johnson foretold 15 years ago...
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:50 pm

Yuli Ban is right also SSJB is a multiplier as I said before. So if a person has a higher battle power than a Saiyan with SSJB who is using that form its not hard to believe.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm

The same way Freeza can train for a little bit and get a golden form that allows it to hang a little with SSB and is well past every form we saw in the original manga in terms of power.

Plot demands it and you can hide behind Broly being a spooky prodigy that rules don't apply to.