Would Goten and Trunks benefit from training under Muten Roshi?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Would Goten and Trunks benefit from training under Muten Roshi?

Post by DSB » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm

They far outstrip him power but what about techniques and discipline?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Would Goten and Trunks benefit from training under Muten Roshi?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:44 pm

It would help them learn discipline and to have the right mindset. If they had trained under him prior to the Buu arc, they would've finished Super Buu while still having their fun.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Of course they would benefit: Goten & Trunks lack in technique and utterly lack in discipline. Roshi's intense training regiment would do the teen boys a lot of good. Even Piccolo, having his own tortuous methods of training, admitted that Roshi's regiment was quite a tedious workout and worth it's weight in results.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:30 pm

You guys hit the nail on the head. The discipline alone would benefit the boys greatly. If he'd trained them prior to the ToP, they would've been invited.

On top of that, their solo technical skills would be drastically improved. Though Roshi didn't seem teach Goku and Krillin techniques specifically, whatever skills he'd imparted to them seems to have made them quite crisp with their martial arts.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Powerwise, they would've probably eclipsed Cell Games Gohan, and be on par with the adults during the Buu arc.

In DBS, they would be very helpful.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:38 pm Powerwise, they would've probably eclipsed Cell Games Gohan, and be on par with the adults during the Buu arc.

In DBS, they would be very helpful.
If we assume that they'd have received power increases similar to Goku & Krillin's after undergoing an equal time of training, Goten & Trunks may have surpassed the Androids just in base forms. They could've done what they did in the tournament against 18 without needing SSJ. A SSJ3 Gotenks of that caliber would then be stronger than Boohan.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:11 pm

I think them knowing more hand to hand martial arts skills would change their fighting styles a lot. They only know beam attacks and the basics from Gohan, Chichi, and Vegeta.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:35 pm Of course they would benefit: Goten & Trunks lack in technique and utterly lack in discipline. Roshi's intense training regiment would do the teen boys a lot of good. Even Piccolo, having his own tortuous methods of training, admitted that Roshi's regiment was quite a tedious workout and worth it's weight in results.
I felt that scene in Super was ludicrous to be honest. What of Korin's regiment training? What of Popo's regiment training? Would Piccolo suddenly realize he has so much more to learn after training with them? Or would he wallop their training easier and faster then he did King Kai's?

I do think it's possible for Master Roshi's training to work, but he'd probably need a whole planet's worth of spatial area with super Katchin turtle shells, and he'd need a way to put them down when they start getting uppity. The gap in power is just too large, though ill trained that power is.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 pm

Of course they would. But they might lack the discipline and patience to go through with it. I could see them getting bored and annoyed after a few hours and flying away.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:15 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pmI felt that scene in Super was ludicrous to be honest. What of Korin's regiment training? What of Popo's regiment training? Would Piccolo suddenly realize he has so much more to learn after training with them? Or would he wallop their training easier and faster then he did King Kai's?
To be fair, the legacy of Roshi's training & school has lived on even into DBS. Goku still makes use of the fundamentals that Roshi taught him all those years ago and while Vegeta and others may view the methods of Roshi as insufficient or not to their style, they have acknowledged that it contributed to Goku being the fighter that he is. Whis even gave Roshi's methods a little credit in imitating UI despite never having been trained in it or even having God Ki.
It's rudimentary in comparison to all the other training methods of the various martial arts masters but it works for a reason.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:15 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pmI felt that scene in Super was ludicrous to be honest. What of Korin's regiment training? What of Popo's regiment training? Would Piccolo suddenly realize he has so much more to learn after training with them? Or would he wallop their training easier and faster then he did King Kai's?
To be fair, the legacy of Roshi's training & school has lived on even into DBS. Goku still makes use of the fundamentals that Roshi taught him all those years ago and while Vegeta and others may view the methods of Roshi as insufficient or not to their style, they have acknowledged that it contributed to Goku being the fighter that he is. Whis even gave Roshi's methods a little credit in imitating UI despite never having been trained in it or even having God Ki.
It's rudimentary in comparison to all the other training methods of the various martial arts masters but it works for a reason.
Well that's another issue I have with DBS, propping up Master Roshi in such a way, in detriment to the earlier story. I mean I get it, Toyotaro really likes Master Roshi. But Toriyama's favorite character is Piccolo, you see how little shine he gets.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Isn't the base of Roshi's training, and much of DB era's set around increases to speed and strength? What actual technique (not to be mistaken for Techniques) did Roshi give?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:24 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:27 pm Isn't the base of Roshi's training, and much of DB era's set around increases to speed and strength? What actual technique (not to be mistaken for Techniques) did Roshi give?
None on the surface, especially since each of his students learned the Kamehameha on their own. But with Goku and Krillin each possessing such crisp martial arts technique by the time of the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd Budokais, I'd assume that Roshi had something to do with that. It's true that Krillin, Goku, and even Yamcha each started with their own disciplines before even meeting Roshi, but each of them seemed to have added a great deal of refinement and precision to what they were doing before after training with him. Maybe it's Roshi's philosophical teachings that inspires this and not a specific skill drill, but in all honesty, there's room for those too since there's a lot of off-screen aspects to their training that we were never privy to.

With Goku, it's even more likely that he picked up some sort of skills from Roshi as well. Outside of his eidetic memory, Goku could have possibly picked up some secondary turtle school/Roshi techniques early on via Grandpa Gohan whose fighting style is very similar if not outright the same to Roshi's.

All in all, I think it only makes sense that they'd pick up skills from him as well. Maybe it's like the Karate Kid where the mundane training activity also builds technical skill (on top of the obvious strength/speed increase).
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:59 pm

Roshi's training wasn't necessarily about teaching moves(ones associated with any specific style like Kung Fu or Karate) as shown by his angry reaction to Krillin inquiring about learning actual fighting motions over the intense regiment he had given them. What Roshi wanted his students to learn was simply how to "learn well, play well, eat well, and rest well" and eventually "move well". It wasn't about picking up a set of hand-to-hand tricks and making that the basis of their ability to fight; it was about being molded from the ground up by a strict discipline that would allow them to be ready for anything when the time to fight came. Like with what Bruce Lee said, "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.".
As seen with Roshi's UI-imitation, it's not about thinking to use what kind of moves but to just use moves when you fight.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:13 am

Not really. Maybe mentally, but I don't see 50lb turtle shells being an issue for them.