Porunga's power doesnt make sense

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Porunga's power doesnt make sense

Post by DSB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:18 am

Well if the Dragon has just as much power as its creator, how did Porunga recreate Earth?

Does creating/recreating a planet take less power than destroying one? If not, is Muri a Planet Buster in secret?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Porunga's power doesnt make sense

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:34 am

Well Granolah's dragon (I forget its name) was able to manipulate time to take Granolah''s future potential and give it to him then, so maybe Porunga restored Earth by reverting it to how it was in the past?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:39 am

It might have something to do with an individual Namek's ability to craft DBs and/or how great their magical power & potential is in general. I guess in that way, the Nameks sort of act like batteries to a device that can do multiple things but requires a truly strong battery to last long enough to perform all of it's functions with the available power to back it up.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 pm

Who is Porunga's creator? It was Guru, the King of Namek, right?

How does Guru compare to Kami/Piccolo in power? He must be stronger, right?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:58 pm

I don't remember any wish like this not being able to be granted due to a limit in the dragons power due to their creator.

The only time that rule really seems to come into play is if they try to kill someone with higher combat power. Its been a while but in the Saiyan Saga I believe that was mentioned as to why they couldn't just wish to kill Vegeta and Nappa.

While Dende obviously can't bring people back to life and all, the dragon can.

Interestingly then in Broly, the dragon shouldn't be able to zap him back to Vampa, but I guess in that situation Broly was willing so it wasn't an issue.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 am

I always assumed the power of the dragons depended on the skill of the creators.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:20 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 am I always assumed the power of the dragons depended on the skill of the creators.
I don't believe he was in a stable enough state of mind at the moment to qualify as 'willing'. IIRC the wish was worded as 'take him somewhere safe', so by nature it couldn't have killed or harmed him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 pm

It makes sense that the different Dragons' capabilities are dependent on how and why they were created, and who created them (or more specifically, the skills and power of who created them). The number and size of the Dragon Balls are probably dependent on that last factor.

Super's introduction of Toronbo is great world building. The idea that it doesn't have to be a set of 7 is fantastic, and reduces the need for hand-wavey off-screen fetch quests that can interrupt the action. The idea that other Dragons created by other non-God/Guardian Namekians have different functions to "our" DBs, and can have caveats like bargains or trade-offs to accomplish otherwise unattainable wishes, really adds a lot to the story (and may also recontextualize or give emphasis to the ending of GT)

So, it doesn't really bother me if Porunga's abilities are kinda like ass-pulls.