Question about Katatz

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Question about Katatz

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:21 pm

Hey, in DBZ Volume 7/DB Volume 23, Guru mentions something about Kamiccolo's father being named Katatz & how Kamiccolo was the prodigy of the Dragon Clan. But, wasn't it Guru who fathered every Namekian? Also, what's with this Dragon Clan that created the DB's? It was Guru who made them.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Synthe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Synthe » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:48 pm

I think somewhere it says that there was a storm on planet namek and all the nameks expect guru died, and piccolo was able to escape on a ship that reached earth.
Last edited by Synthe on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Hey, in DBZ Volume 7/DB Volume 23, Guru mentions something about Kamiccolo's father being named Katatz & how Kamiccolo was the prodigy of the Dragon Clan. But, wasn't it Guru who fathered every Namekian? Also, what's with this Dragon Clan that created the DB's? It was Guru who made them.
It was also mentioned that there was a huge 'event' that resulted in every Namekian being killed except Guru. And yeah, Katatz was apparently one of the Nameks who fathered the nameless Namek and sent off his child to Earth before dying.

And I've got no clue about the Dragon Clan =P

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Oh, I see. So all Nameks used to be parents before hand & then there was the Dragon Clan, but everyone died & Guru recreated everything including the DB's. I just figured it was always like that. Thanks.
*Dodges rocks*

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Eclipse wrote:
It was also mentioned that there was a huge 'event' that resulted in every Namekian being killed except Guru. And yeah, Katatz was apparently one of the Nameks who fathered the nameless Namek and sent off his child to Earth before dying.

And I've got no clue about the Dragon Clan =P
Wouldn't that make Piccolo more like Superman than Goku :lol:

Also, did King Piccolo pick his own name after splitting?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Question about Katatz

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:what's with this Dragon Clan that created the DB's?
If I remember correctly, the members of the Dragon Clan are the "priests"/"shaman"/"other spiritual role" of the Nameccians, as opposed to the warriors.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:28 pm

I'm assuming so. The confusing thing is that the name for his good half is 'Kami'. But then, 'Kami' is also the Japanese word for 'God' and the term given to those who are the 'God' of their respective planet in Dragon Ball.
If I remember correctly, the members of the Dragon Clan are the "priests"/"shaman"/"other spiritual role" of the Nameccians, as opposed to the warriors.
Isn't that about 99.9% of the population in Dragon Ball Z? =P

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:44 pm

Eclipse wrote:
I'm assuming so. The confusing thing is that the name for his good half is 'Kami'.
That's his job. He's the Kami/God of Earth.
He most probably named himself "Piccolo" ("wrong planet" in Nameccian, I believe? EDIT: 'just checked, and it's more like "other world") back when he was a Nameccian kid stranded on Earth.
Isn't that about 99.9% of the population in Dragon Ball Z? =P
Thing is, I don't remember if a Nameccian can be... well, "nothing". As in "not part of the Dragon Clan and not a warrior either"...
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:23 am

the son of Kattatsu didnt have any name. He named himself Piccolo after the password to his ship.

Also, Nail is the son of SAICHOURU which means Great Elder NOT bloody guru, and since Saichouru can create dragonballs it means that he is dragon clan too. All current living nameks are dragon clan.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:41 am

aarondirebear wrote:Nail is the son of SAICHOURU which means Great Elder NOT bloody guru, and since Saichouru can create dragonballs it means that he is dragon clan too.
Nail was a warrior. Just because he was conceived by the Great Elder, that doesn't mean he can't be a warrior.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:03 pm

I don't know if all Namekians are of the "Dragon clan" although it stands to reason. However my feeling is that individual Namekians become members of the Dragon clan, meaning a Namekian who was sired by a non-Dragon clan member could still be one of the Dragon clan because he was born with that ability. Then again Moori aquired the ability from Saichouro when he died so it's possible that all the current generation of Namekians can create dragon balls.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:02 pm

Dende is later called a "true Scion of the Dragon Clan" so it seems no specific blood-line holds that title. Really, I think Toriyama-sensei just made it up as he went along, and that Dragon Clan is just a title given to those who learn to make Dragonballs without having them simply passed onto them, which I feel is the case for The Great Elder and Moori.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:25 pm

aarondirebear wrote:the son of Kattatsu didnt have any name. He named himself Piccolo after the password to his ship.

Also, Nail is the son of SAICHOURU which means Great Elder NOT bloody guru, and since Saichouru can create dragonballs it means that he is dragon clan too. All current living nameks are dragon clan.
So that leaves us to believe that there were other clans on planet Namek, possibly meaning that there were different types of Nameks before the storm. In other words, there could have been female Nameks from other clans and it possible that the Dragon Clan (i.e. Katatz and Saichouru) were the only assexual clan on Namek. This also leads us to believe that the other Namek Clans could eat food and that the slug-like Nameks that we see aren't the only type of Nameks. . .

. . .but that is all straying off-topic, so fuck it.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:25 pm

so.... why didnt guru use the dragonballs to bring the nameks back : ) ?

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:49 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
aarondirebear wrote:Nail is the son of SAICHOURU which means Great Elder NOT bloody guru, and since Saichouru can create dragonballs it means that he is dragon clan too.
Nail was a warrior. Just because he was conceived by the Great Elder, that doesn't mean he can't be a warrior.
Thats what I meant, I was rebutting that guy's statement that dragon clan are only mystics and healers but not warriors.

Also, with only three wishes he could only have brought back three of them...it was a tough call he couldn't make.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Pieter wrote:so.... why didnt guru use the dragonballs to bring the nameks back : ) ?
Because as Dende explains, Namek's don't believe in wishing people back to life, it goes against their philosphy so to speak. That's the reason why Polunga originally could only revive one person per wish, because they had never intended to use them like that.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:29 am

The "Dragon Clan" status is probably just a title given to those capable of creating Dragonballs from scratch. To assume it's more would be...fanfiction material.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:51 am

Most likely Duo. Just like some Nameks are Warrior & others are Healers. Maybe there are some Nameks that cannot make DB's.
*Dodges rocks*

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:40 am

aarondirebear wrote:Thats what I meant, I was rebutting that guy's statement that dragon clan are only mystics and healers but not warriors.
Well, members of the Dragon Clan aren't warriors. They're two different groups.
(Piccolo might be an exception... I don't remember)

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:27 pm

Piccolo was the name the original Namek took for himself, when he split he became Kami and Daimao, good and evil. However, it would be correct to call either of them "Piccolo" That is why you often see me referencing them as "Kami Piccolo" and "Daimao Piccolo". Kami Piccolo saw that Goku knew Damiao as "Piccolo" and therefore refrained from being called the same name to avoid confusion. However, it is just as much his name as it is Daimao or Daimao Junior's.

From my understanding, Katatz was the "brother" of the Great Elder. The Dragon family doesn't necessarily define any of them as being Warrior or Healer type. Either type could be capable of creating Dragonballs. With Great Elder, he was likely a member of the Dragon Clan. If indeed he was Brother of Katatz, Father of Piccolo who was able to Create Dragonballs on his own, then that would probably make him a Member of the original Dragon Clan. Moori, as was mentioned, may have had the power passed to him. Or they may all be capable of having the power passed to them, just each great Elder chooses whom to grant that power to.

Interesting part of the overall Dragonball mythos that I rather enjoy is the Namekians and Piccolo's role in the whole series.