Onio a Saiya-jin?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Onio a Saiya-jin?

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:48 am

From NMZ.. is he actually a saiya-jin? he doesn't have a tail -

Just Saiyan...

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:59 am

Trunks and Goten didn't have tails, you know. I think a new rule Toriyama created without realizing it was, "Any Saiya-jin that can already go ssj when they first appear must not have a tail, it'd be unfair to Goku and Vegeta who lost theirs and never regained them for some reason even though Vegeta clearly said his would grow back." :P
The mystery of the tail-less saiya-jins continues...

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Remember folks, Toriyama has a horrible memory. That should be enough of an answer.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:27 am

That's an interesting question...Onio is certainly a saiyan (he says so himself) but what about his tail? I doubt Toriyama simply forgot; Z says right on the first page that squeezing his tail would do nothing, and that if the reader doesn't understand then he needs to go read more Dragonball.

I'm with Metrite on this one; I'm going to say that Toriyama's unofficial rule is that Super Saiyan characters don't have tails, or don't regrow their tails. Of course you could also say that since Onio can already transform into a Super Saiyan that his tail is a needless inconvience, but I think that would be taking a gag character too seriously.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:50 am

Deus ex Machina wrote: Of course you could also say that since Onio can already transform into a Super Saiyan that his tail is a needless inconvience, but I think that would be taking a gag character too seriously.
:roll: Beat me too the punch. I actually found it side splittingly funny how Mr. Toriyama poked fun at the whole "everyone became a Super Saiyan" by making some lame excuse character like "Onio" and Neko-Majin go SSJ. :lol: Now if only he drew Yamcha, Kuririn, Piccolo, Tienshinhan, Chaouzu, Yajirobe, and Puar as SSJ's.... :roll:

So yeah go figure.... Onio is apparentley a Saiyan. Then again he did say he was the strongest in the universe when he wasen't... :wink:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:Then again he did say he was the strongest in the universe when he wasn't... :wink:
This has to be another joke / reference, seeing as every major villain in DBZ has probably said this at one time or another. Freeza said this, and he had to know his daddy was better than him. I'm betting Cell said it a couple times. And then Buu comes along. They're all arrogant liars, as long as the series keeps going. :lol:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 pm

It is also possible that he got it removed for some reason. Or it was cut off.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Based on what we see, I tend to believe that tails don't grow back after puberty. Onio doesn't seem amazingly young, so maybe he irritated Kuriza once and got it ripped off...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:46 pm

caejones wrote:Based on what we see, I tend to believe that tails don't grow back after puberty. Onio doesn't seem amazingly young, so maybe he irritated Kuriza once and got it ripped off...
Gohan's didn't grow back after Vegeta cut it off.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:
caejones wrote:Based on what we see, I tend to believe that tails don't grow back after puberty. Onio doesn't seem amazingly young, so maybe he irritated Kuriza once and got it ripped off...
Gohan's didn't grow back after Vegeta cut it off.
Keep in mind, there was no moon or even fake moon on Earth after the whole ordeal with Vejita. Not to mention, Nameck didn't exactly have what one would call moons either. There wasn't even a nighttime. :shock: I think part of the reason Gohan never got his tail back after that fight was the fact that there was no moon to prompt its re-growth. Another part could be that he simply didn't have a use for it afterwards so he never needed it to grow back (here I'm trying to account for the occasion[s?] where Goku grew back his tail in Dragonball even when there was no longer a moon; he still had a use for it).

Of course, if we want to go off-canon for this discussion with mention of Gohan's tail in Movie 5... >__>

This makes me want to ask another question about Saiyajin tails, but I think I'll probably steer the discussion further off-topic if I ask it here, so I'll refrain from asking it for now... o_o;
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:Of course, if we want to go off-canon for this discussion with mention of Gohan's tail in Movie 5... >__>
Rather movie 5 is canon or not with the anime is entirely based on our points of view. Ya' gotta keep in mind, Goku was able to grow his tail back off-screen in original DB after Grandpa Gohan removed it and during this circumstance, the moon was gone because of Roshi. This could be the same situation with Gohan during movie 5, if one would be trying to fit that movie in anime continuity (in the 3 year training gap), he simply grew it back off-screen and later had it removed off-screen (as Doore revealed how much a weakness it'd be when encountering the Androids). Obviously from my point of view, movie 5 does fit with the anime.

Manga-wise, yeah, Gohan never grew his tail back after Vegeta cut it off during the final battle in the Saiyan saga.
14 years later

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:21 am

If you want to go a little more in depth then you'll see we know nothing about Onio until... well until he showed up in NMZ. Therefore it's entirely possible that he lost his tail in some way or another. Why it dosen't grow back is a mystery, but then again it's the same thing with Vegeta after all, so I wouldn't look too far into it.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 am

Or it could be that as a Saiya-jin gets older - their tail becomes less likely to regenerate. their hair seems to stop growing once they approach maturity (as Goku demonstrated in pre-Piccolo DB).
Just Saiyan...