Why do lots of people like Cell and Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:11 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:I think the appeal of Broli, in his first appearance at least, was just his title: The Legendary Super Saiyajin. I mean, it was rather ingenious to explore the possibility, it was just overused. Had Broli only appeared in movie 8, I doubt he'd be so hated.
Precisely the way I see it. Movie 8 is a very cool film (and one of the better-dubbed ones, at that), and Broly himself is a pretty interesting and fun character in it. His other two movies could have just as easily been done with different or new villains.
It's almost exactly like the Japanese version. Can't wait for the remastered double feature it's on.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Raki wrote:It's almost exactly like the Japanese version. Can't wait for the remastered double feature it's on.
Me neither. Especially since it'll include the original music...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I think the appeal of Broli, in his first appearance at least, was just his title: The Legendary Super Saiyajin. I mean, it was rather ingenious to explore the possibility...
Much agreed, by the time Movie 8 came out the series had made the whole Goku as the "Legendary Super Saiyan" seem like less of a legend by allowing three other characters to do it. So having the idea of the TRUE "Legendary Super Saiyan" lurking around and pounding the crap out of four super saiyans and a namek was pretty cool.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I like Broli because he is a beast and I appreciate how is not like the other Saiyans. No code of honor in any fashion, he just loves to fight and decimate his opponents. He also has a psychological appeal to many because there are times in our lives where we are so angry we wish we could lash out at the world in the same fashion as Broli.
Saiyans had no honor code :p
Vegeta just pretended to have one in the Cell Saga. He started cooking up all the rules that a "true Saiyan" had to follow, to differentiate himself from the other three "soft" Saiyans.
Mike D wrote:Much agreed, by the time Movie 8 came out the series had made the whole Goku as the "Legendary Super Saiyan" seem like less of a legend by allowing three other characters to do it. So having the idea of the TRUE "Legendary Super Saiyan" lurking around and pounding the crap out of four super saiyans and a namek was pretty cool.
I remember thinking, when I first watched it, "why doesn't Trunks try USSJ2? It's not like he'd need a whole lot of speed to hit him, and the strength/endurance boost would sure as hell help." Hell, Goku could use it too. Vegeta possibly. If all 3 had just butched up, it really would have been a wrestling match...
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

shinaobi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by shinaobi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm

I'd say the big problem of the USSJ2 thing was how ridiculously unreliable everyone(except Trunks, given the timeframe of the movie) knew that the form was. Since Broly was already faster than they were, the massive speed penalty in exchange for a power boost that might not actually let them win in any case(given the kind of hits Broly had been taking up to this point, along with the total lack of damage they had been doing to him up to this point), you could say that they saw it as one of those risks>possible benefits.

And I found Broly enjoyable as a follow-up on the Legendary Super Saiyan thing, which, considering how many people were doing it by the Cell Saga, kind of opened the possibility for the Goku=legendary thing to be a big fat misunderstanding.

Cell was probably the most epic and least silly(Buu had times where it seemed that Toriyama felt that he had to take a couple digits off the characters' IQs to keep it going, whereas the one time where there may have been some stretching could be attributed to hubris Vegeta had shown from the beginning of the series.) villain of the primary series, with an interesting concept, though I found his android absorption thing creepy, if only because I'm pretty sure I saw some random liquids coming out.
I dislike you intensely.(probably)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Seconded. I really don't know where this notion sprang from. Was it a later Daizenshuu translation? Another source book? Video game data? Dub data?

For years no one said this. Most people tended to talk about Broli as if he was USSJ2 done right, basically. He was already tall. He filled out, a ridiculous amount of muscle onto it, lost his irises, and mowed everything over. His idea of dodging is to not do it. Kinda like in the Abridged movies, where Goku says "Hey I have an idea- don't dodge!" Except it actually works for him.

Perfect example- Goku unleashes his Kamehameha point blank. A solid, clean hit. Even Perfect Cell would have attempted some form of defense or avoidance. And Broli walks right into, asking "what the hell was that supposed to be?"

Or when Vegeta lays into him. Broli advances. Vegeta retreats, firing ki attacks. Broli advances. Trunks intervenes. Broli advances. He lays out Trunks with one single uppercut, and then rams into Vegeta (I believe it was a clothesline or shoulder ram). He's the Juggernaut, not a beefy Nightcrawler.

He spends the movie barreling headfirst into everyone, leaving his enemies beneath him as he passes. As Kunzait said, there is one brief scene where he dodges some punches while standing still and focusing on doing so. Otherwise... this aint exactly Goku and Cell fading in and out around the battleground we're talking about here. Visually-speaking, Trunks does display more speed when fighting Perfect Cell then Broli does.

And does anybody have Daizenshuu... 7, was it? Does it really name his transformation as a form called Legendary Super Saiyan? Cuz every time I ask, someone will tell me "it says Densetsu no Supa Saiya-jin." Which doesn't specifically answer my question. They use that phrase to describe Broli himself, as a person. I want to know that the book isn't saying something like "Broli is the Legendary Super Saiyan," and is rather saying something like "Broli is in the Legendary Super Saiyan transformed state." Does that make sense? Cuz nobody seemed to ever use the phrase LSSJ (or claim that it had this intense level of speed beyond anyone else ever) until some of the more modern video games and what not came out making such claims.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Onikage725 wrote:And does anybody have Daizenshuu... 7, was it? Does it really name his transformation as a form called Legendary Super Saiyan? Cuz every time I ask, someone will tell me "it says Densetsu no Supa Saiya-jin." Which doesn't specifically answer my question. They use that phrase to describe Broli himself, as a person. I want to know that the book isn't saying something like "Broli is the Legendary Super Saiyan," and is rather saying something like "Broli is in the Legendary Super Saiyan transformed state." Does that make sense? Cuz nobody seemed to ever use the phrase LSSJ (or claim that it had this intense level of speed beyond anyone else ever) until some of the more modern video games and what not came out making such claims.
I dunno about 7, but 6 specifically refers to it as the form in the same areas and ways that it refers to other characters and their forms.

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 pm

So.. how do all his clothes still fit?

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:So.. how do all his clothes still fit?
Alien space science, like Vegeta's armor, I'd assume.

What I want to know is why it turns from maroon to BRIGHT RED.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:27 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:

Oddly, all the characters seem to get that effect. Goku's orange gi is way brighter when he's a Super Saiyajin, even if he doesn't have an active aura at the time. They must just give off this color enhancing glow.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:53 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:

And also: Why does his bones grow longer as he transforms? His arms are not just huge, but anatomically unporpotional too, as his body now looks more like the body of an ape (and the mind of his also resembles the one of an ape, maybe a chimp).
And his pupils dissappear too. Strange.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 am

Wojak wrote:And also: Why does his bones grow longer as he transforms? His arms are not just huge, but anatomically unporpotional too, as his body now looks more like the body of an ape (and the mind of his also resembles the one of an ape, maybe a chimp).
Because Broly = Hulk.

I'm sure the angrier you make him, the bigger he gets.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks Mike

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 am

You don't wanna see his glowy wang do you? It's the same principle as the Hulk.

Though with Oozaru they had to have super stretchy clothes and armor...

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

Wojak wrote:And also: Why does his bones grow longer as he transforms? His arms are not just huge, but anatomically unporpotional too, as his body now looks more like the body of an ape (and the mind of his also resembles the one of an ape, maybe a chimp).
If you would slow the footage down during Broli’s transformations in movies 8 and especially 10 when he fights SSJ 2 Son Gohan, it appears as if his body explodes and is replaced with another. It conveys the notion that his power totally reconstructs his entire body upon going Legendary Super Saiyan. Regarding his IQ or personality while in that stage, apparently extreme aggression takes over. Similar to how when Vegeta was fighting #19 he said that a Super Saiyan's “ferocity increases”. Also in Dragonball GT Kakarrot says something to that effect, about how Super Saiyan 4 affects his personality. Since Broli was stronger than the rest in movies 8 and 10 Toei over emphasized this point.
Onikage725 wrote:Saiyans had no honor code :p
Vegeta just pretended to have one in the Cell Saga. He started cooking up all the rules that a "true Saiyan" had to follow, to differentiate himself from the other three "soft" Saiyans.
How did you come to that conclusion? What did Vegeta do previously that would contradict what he said during the Cell Saga?
Kunzait_83 wrote:I never understood why some people claim that Broli was so much faster than the other characters. He wasn’t. At all. And he didn’t need to be.

The one time EVER that Broli demonstrated any remote degree of finesse on his part was that one brief second in movie 8 where he was rapidly dodging punches from Goku and Piccolo while standing in place. Beyond that though, Broli is a goddamn tank. He clomps along like fucking molasses and has a tendency to block attacks quite literally with his grin.

Broli isn’t fast; in fact he may very well be one of the single slowest moving powerhouse character we see in the whole series. It’s just that almost nothing can hurt him in the slightest, and all it takes is one love tap from him to utterly flatten anything or anyone in his way. Even USSJ2 Trunks when fighting Perfect Cell demonstrated more actual moments of quickness than Broli ever does.

Broli may be retardedly powerful and nearly un-damageable at times, but he makes USSJ2 Mirai Trunks look like The Flash by comparison.
Broli was fast because if he could dodge the punches he could evade them in other instances. Vegeta told Kewi that when someone’s power rises or in this case were already above the others their speed would increase or be superior. If others are weak in comparison to your own combat power why would you bother dodging and expending more Ki or energy (if that was possible)? Ultra Super Saiyan 2 would have been just as effective as it was when Trunks fought Cell.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:How did you come to that conclusion? What did Vegeta do previously that would contradict what he said during the Cell Saga?
He had no problems with fighting alongside the Earthlings vs Freeza, nor did he have a problem with getting healed then continuing to fight.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:01 am

I think he saw Freeza as a "special case."
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 am

mAcChaos wrote:I think he saw Freeza as a "special case."
I agree, and plus the Cell Games was a different setting and it was a one on one contest of strength. They were on a whole other level combat power wise then during the Freeza Saga and they knew at least they had a slight chance at winning which was something they did not during the various battles with Freeza.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:I think he saw Freeza as a "special case."
I agree, and plus the Cell Games was a different setting and it was a one on one contest of strength. They were on a whole other level combat power wise then during the Freeza Saga and they knew at least they had a slight chance at winning which was something they did not during the various battles with Freeza.
Vegeta didn't fight in the Cell Games...
Not in a "one on one" contest of strength anyway.