Shonen Jump Dragonball / Z GN censorship...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Shonen Jump Dragonball / Z GN censorship...

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:11 pm

So we all know about this now... Popo's lips, attack changes, Hercule, etc... But appearently the Graphic Novels ar uncensored...are those things corrected in the GN's? The reason I doubt this is because in Yu-Gi-Oh the Shonen Jump version where that convict bursts into flames he tells Anzu "Shut your God damn mouth!" but when it went on GN for it was changed to simply "Shut your damn mouth!"... I already own them in Spanish, and I'd like to have them in English, but if these things aren't corrected, it's not worth my money.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:48 pm

As far as I know, you can't get uncut GNs, and you can't expect quality translations / releases. That's why I'm boycotting the Viz manga now...

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Shonen Jump Dragonball / Z GN censorship...

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:20 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:So we all know about this now... Popo's lips, attack changes, Mr. Satan, etc... But appearently the Graphic Novels ar uncensored...are those things corrected in the GN's? The reason I doubt this is because in Yu-Gi-Oh the Shonen Jump version where that convict bursts into flames he tells Anzu "Shut your God damn mouth!" but when it went on GN for it was changed to simply "Shut your damn mouth!"... I already own them in Spanish, and I'd like to have them in English, but if these things aren't corrected, it's not worth my money.
The censorship in Z is present even in the graphic novels, unfortunately. (and the censorship of DB, too... but it amounts solely to Mr. Popo's lips in volume 13/14). The translation itself is still decent, but... eh... the "H.ercule" thing kinda ruins it, doesn't it? :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:27 pm

And I suddenly regret getting the first GN of Yuugiou instead of buying the back issues... *started buying SJs in March of last year*

So Viz sucks, huh?

... Someone provide me with script translations and an assload of money.

:D I'm going to Sasuga Books.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:50 pm

Viz has to censor somethings to avoid things like lawsuits and complaints. And also, there are a lot of instances where dialogue could have been translated in better ways. If you already own them in Spanish, just keep them and forget about the English ones. I still like the US Shonen Jump and the graphic novels, though.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:14 pm

So....

what's wrong with Popo's lips?
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:25 pm

Viz had them colored in, as not to offend racially.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:10 pm

Another thing to note is that Yugioh and all other SJ-based GNs are all rated "T" whereas DBZ is "E". :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:57 pm

Yes, the GN censoring is yet another victim of Dragonball's overwhelming popularity in the US. Which is not all bad, it's amazing the amount and types of DB stuff you can get in the US, but there are some unfortunate side effects, the worst of which is I have to @#$%ing read GN's where they've renamed Mr. Satan to "H[e]rcule". The thing about Mr. Popo's lips I get, he IS racially offensive ^^;;;
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:18 pm

It's funny that they kept Lucifer and Beelzebub's names in "Sandland" yet they changed the name of Mr. Satan. So is one name for the prince of darkness worse than another or what?
Last edited by Super Sonic on Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:31 pm

I think it's all in how it's used. Dragon Ball is and was marketed as a kid's show. So Viz keeps it censored since alotta little kiddies read the manga. Sandland, on the other hand, was a new manga that no one really knew about in the US. So even though they're published in the same magazine....I dunno.

Anywho, Lucifer or Beelzebub aren't as bad as Satan. Lucifer was the devil's name when he was an angel before he became the devil. It really means like "Morning Star" or something. And Beelzebub isn't as known as Satan. So Satan is a real evil name, which parents are too afraid that their children will hear it. Bah.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:30 am

What happened Viz you used to be cool, you changed...

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:15 pm

SDHero wrote: The thing about Mr. Popo's lips I get, he IS racially offensive ^^;;;
Then why didn't FUNi do anything about it?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Super Sonic wrote:It's funny that they kept Lucifer and Beelzebub's names in "Sandland" yet they changed the name of Mr. Satan. So is one name for the prince of darkness worse than another or what?
Actually, "Lucifer" was used in place of "Satan." :?

But it's like I always say... radical right-wing Christians are proof that God has a sense of humor. Too bad they don't get the joke.
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:43 pm

Personally I would've gone with "Dabura Jr." :P

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:29 pm

It's funny how they kept in the word "Hell" all the time when referring to it as a place or saying "What the hell?" yet they can't say Satan.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:40 pm

The whole Mr.Satan/Hercule thing isnt an issue of censorship, but just adaption, because the majority of U.S DBZ fans know Mr.Satan as H.ercule. They mention his name was Mr.Satan in the comic, but they just call him H.ercule like it is his normal name, and Satan as his grappler name or something like that.
he reason I doubt this is because in Yu-Gi-Oh the Shonen Jump version where that convict bursts into flames he tells Anzu "Shut your God damn mouth!" but when it went on GN for it was changed to simply "Shut your damn mouth!"... I already own them in Spanish, and I'd like to have them in English, but if these things aren't corrected, it's not worth my money.
You own them in spanish and want to read them in english, but a simple "god damn" changed to just "damn" is holding you back from reading it english? :roll: Whats the difference?
Last edited by Izlude on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:14 pm

Of course people know Mr. Satan is Mr. Satan. Perhaps you meant H E R C U L E.

It doesn't matter to me if they tone down cussing and stuff. Just so long as they don't change something important like the story or the basic message, it's okay.

Apparently they think Satan is much more severe than hell. It's like how they censored this one DB picture with Son Gohan and Videl driving in a car labeled "666;" I have a card with that same picture, only the number is censored to just "6." Another thing...according to Christianity, which I should know about since I'm a Christian, Satan is actually on earth, not hell. Or he can be in Wisconsin, and you can say he's in hell.
Last edited by *PINHEAD* on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:17 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:It's funny that they kept Lucifer and Beelzebub's names in "Sandland" yet they changed the name of Mr. Satan. So is one name for the prince of darkness worse than another or what?
Actually, "Lucifer" was used in place of "Satan." :?

But it's like I always say... radical right-wing Christians are proof that God has a sense of humor. Too bad they don't get the joke.
Coincidentally I bought the Dogma DVD earlier today before reading this. :P

Also, just so ppl know, the devil's name has 00ber meaning to it. It's not JUST "Morning Star". Lucifer is taken from the words (Latin I believe) "Lux" and "Cifer" which in turn mean Light and Bringer. Hence the name "Lucifer" can be understood as either "Bringer or Light" or "Light Bringer". The "Bringer of Light" is the morning star, which is Venus. Now go do your own 00ber understandings+interpretations as to why a chief archangel would have such a name, and then take such a fall.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:36 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
SDHero wrote: The thing about Mr. Popo's lips I get, he IS racially offensive ^^;;;
Then why didn't FUNi do anything about it?
Because (and I really don't want to sound patronising, but...) you do realise that changing the colour of his lips on every panel he appears is about a trillion billion times easier than having to digitally alter every single frame he appears in throughout the show, don't you?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]