Dragonball GT Gohan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Dragonball GT Gohan

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:21 am

I love Dragonball Gt, but my only problem with the series is Gohans strength. I suppose he some how lost his mystic power between the series, and is now just a tough SSJ2. It's just disapointing to see Gohan be a character that can't fight at the top with Goku. Espeacily since Gohans potential was such a big part of Z. I can see Goten and Trunks, stopping intensive training, but how can Gohan loose so much power?

My take is possibly he lost his mystic power from a lack of practice, but he was tougher than a level 3 SSJ (Gotenks) so thats quite a drop....
Or maybe he lost his power when absorbed by Shin Boo, but i don't know if i buy that.
Or then you could totaly say Dragonball Gt is a new story line from Dragonball Z and its an alternate universe, but I count GT as Real Dragonball.

well regaurdless, its unexplained, any thoughts on this?
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!
http://animekick.50megs.com/

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:34 am

Yes, it really irks me the way Toei downplayed Gohan's importance in GT. :evil: Bad Toei! You wronged my little Gohan! :evil: Just one of the main reasons why GT just isn't as good. As to why Gohan seems to be weaker, simple: rehashing plot. The same reason they made Goku lose a lot of his abilities when he first became small again. Goku and Gohan just became so strong that how were any enemies really going to be a challenge? Toei had to do something. It's ridiculous to me to see Gohan having such a hard time with Rirudo when he comes back during the Super #17 saga. Realistically, Gohan should've had absolutely no trouble dispatching him.

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:18 pm

I like GT a lot, dont get me wrong, but well you read my post. I can see your point. I think that they could have maintained Gohans strength, all it would have taken is some tacktful writing. Espeacily since Gohan wasn't in that many episodes.

Well Gohan did ok against Rildo, Rildo was pretty tough. Gohan didnt know about Rildo's ability to turn things to metal so that probobly didn't help things. But I would have liked to see Gohan do him in easily.

What bothered me was durring the final fights with Evil Sheron, Gohan can't fight with Goku or Vegeta. I wish that Studio Tomita picture was real! What a climax that would have been! :cry:

What reeeally bothers me is that GT got cancelled just when it was getting that addictive feeling that Z had. They wanted a good anime, they got it and cancelled it.

But I love Toei I just would have done some things differently.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:27 pm

It's NOT possible for Gohan to get stronger or weaker than how he was against Boo. GT just downplayed him because he'd be by far the strongest in the UNIVERSE (kind of hard to come up with bad guys at that point) once Goku is turned into a kid.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:36 pm

Well pre SSj 4 Vegeta was a little stronger than Gohan in Gt and Gohan was never in his mystic form either in Gt.

But i can see what your saying.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:47 pm

Question: Is it true Gohan goes SSJ in GT? So pathetic if he does; he'd only be losing energy, not gaining.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:01 pm

Yeah, he goes SSj several times in GT. 1st in his fight with the Bebi possesed Goten, then against Vegeta when he (Gohan) possesed by Bebi, and I think he does against Rildo...if I remember...

But yeah Gohan seems to be just a tough SSJ 2, a little stronger than he was before his mystic power in Dragonball Z.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Bah!!!!!! Must...Kill...TOEI!!!! And yet I'll watch it religiously anyway on YTV. :mrgreen:

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:28 pm

Do you get International Channel? They've got it raw on there. But its going to go on Feb. 8th. emailing Fuji tv's English site is all we can do to stop it.

This isn't a pettion its just on the topic! DON'T LOCK MY THREAD!!! :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the feedback.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

SSJHitch
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJHitch » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:Question: Is it true Gohan goes SSJ in GT? So pathetic if he does; he'd only be losing energy, not gaining.
This may be controversial but I don't think Gohan's ability to turn SSJ in GT is a bad thing. Because the in the Mystic powerup, the Rou Dai Kaioshin psychically rearranged Gohan's chi. But my theory is this: how long is it since he got the powerup? In that time he obviously has stopped training, so like in real life when you dont train, you don't retain strength, so while he wasn't training his chi was allowed to become unsorted to some degree, meaning that the mystic powerup was effectivly lost, and then needed to go SSJ.

Phew! Hope that makes sense! :P
Treading the thin line between insanity and genius

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:44 pm

You make a good point about Gohan in GT, and the only real answer is that Toei intentionally played him down, and in doing so they created a giant plot hole (among an already staggering list).

Firstly, Gohan was still in his 'mystic' form after the fight Boo, the end of DBZ, and apparently through GT as well. How can you tell? Before Gohan transforms his eyes are like Goku's, they are surrounded by a black line that stops around the lower corners close to the nose (I believe they are ment to symbolize innocence). After Gohan transforms, his eyes are completly outlined in black and remain so until the end of the series.

Then GT starts, and upon close inspection you can clearly see that Gohan's eyes are still completly outlined. This would lead you to believe that he's still 'transformed' and at full power...Then comes the Baby saga to mess up everything.

(BABY SAGA SPOILER ALERT)

In his fight against the Baby controlled Goten, Gohan transforms into SSJ (SSJ2?). Now according to the story line layed out in DBZ, Gohan wouldn't have transformed because he simply didn't need to anymore. Either Toei forgot about this, or simply didn't care since they had already 'demoted' the Earth's greatest fighter into a generic fighting character.

And as for Gohan's fight against General Rildo...lol, don't even get me started on that!

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:49 pm

Yeah I don't dispute that..... I mentioned it in my 1st post, but thats an awfully big drop to go from maybe strongest in the Z series, to second string. But I like seeing Gohan with blond hair. Goten and Trunks didn't not stay Super Saiyjin because of not training. I suposse he may have lost his ability over time, but its not conclusive..there are a lot of interpretations. It's just fun to discuss.

thanks for the post.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:57 am

No, the way Toei showed Gohan's fighting abilities in GT was pathetic! :evil: And who says that Gohan actually stopped training? Also don't forget that the actual plot of old enemies coming back from the dead is the same exact plot of the 12th DBZ movie! Boy, them boys at TOEI sure run out of new ideas fast! Except in that movie, Gohan handled things the way we all know he would. He had no problem dealing with the hundreds of thugs that popped up again by himself. Which was good, because Goten and Trunks were too busy teasing Hitler. :mrgreen: I remember watching Gohan fighting Rirudo and thinking how it absolutely wasn't making any sense. It was ridiculous, this wasn't a true representation of Gohan's fighting skills and power. :(

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:13 am

Movie 12...lol

I can't wait to see how FUNimation dubs that. I'd say their's a snow balls chance in HFIL that their going to use Hitlers real name in that movie.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:47 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Movie 12...lol

I can't wait to see how FUNimation dubs that. I'd say their's a snow balls chance in HFIL that their going to use Hitlers real name in that movie.
Actually, that character is never referred to as "Hitler." Daizenshuu 6 lists him as "Dokusaisha," which means "dictator." (Note, however, that the "doku" kanji can be used as shorthand for "Germany." :) )

As for whether he'll show up in the edited version... it depends on how well they can disguise his similarity to said dictator.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:22 am

Yeah, it's never said that Gohan stops training, it's just an asumption based on his Gt strength. I can explain any seeming inconsistancies in GT to myself, but this is the only one thing about the series that disapoints me. All the more reason why the should have made the series go longer so they could showcase Gohan more.

I've got to see the 12th movie! I've wanted to see it for a while.
Funimation will probobly turn Hittler into Charlie Chaplin and play "hot new music by cutting edge groups like...uruummm... door knob...and urmmm...drowning pool...."
BUM BUM PISH BUM BUM PISH YO HITTLER GET OUTA HERE... YO YO YEAH WE GONNA KICK YO REAR... GONNA SEND YOU BACK TO THE HFIL..HIT YOU SO HARD GOTTA EXPLIAN HOW YOU FELL...... yooo...BUM BUM PISH BUM BUM PISH.......WOOOOORD! DRAGONBALL Z!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXTREEEEEM!
( :shock: BREATHING HEAVILY)

Or they can cut out the 1st third of the movie and re-arange it as they see fit for excitment factor in the 8-11 demographic!!!!!!!!
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:07 am

I think you got it right on the head there... :D

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:17 pm

1) Gohan (after mystic upgrade): "How do I become the strongest combattant in the universe?"
Rou Kaioshin: "You often become that Super-something, right? Well it's exactly the same."
(Gohan goes "super saiyan" to become Mystic Gohan.)

2) Goku: "By the way, is it better to be super saiyan before or after using the potalas?"
Rou Kaioshin: "No, it's all the same. Once you're fused it's for life. Besides, Super Saiyan causes you to use up way too much of your strength. That'll shorten your lifespan.
Goku: "Really?!"

I think Gohan CAN'T go Super Saiyan because of his Mystic training. I think if not training DID cause him to get weaker (which I could SWEAR I read somewhere he can't because of mystic) that once he tried to go SSJ he would either be back at full Mystic mode. I mean c,mon: why would he not go SSJ against Boo once Mystic wasn't enough against him?

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:15 am

I think you got it right on the head there...

Thanks, I was scared by the Gohan loosing his arm in the US dubb of the Trunks speacil.
lets pray the just miraculosly loose DBZ's rights and Viz does it. I CAN DREAM!!!!!!!!!

to dayspring:

thats right.......hmmmm? Well somehow Gohan lost his mystic power. :cry:

On another note, I've been watching Dragonball steadily for some time now. I just saw episode 61 of Dragonball Gt. I will soon see all 3 series in their entirety with I-channel DBGT nearing its end. I'm on the 2nd to last episode of Dragonball Gt on I-channel. I DONT WANT DRAGON BAAAAAAAAL TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
AND FUJI TO TV WONT GIVE DRAGONBALL TO THEM ANYMORE!!! WHHHHHHHY! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Looks like quite a finale though! I've heard and read good things so nobody spoil it for me! :wink:
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:34 am

There should be a rule against posting one word so long that it stretches out the whole page... Couldn't you edit that?