How do you think the Universe 6 arc would turn out?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

How do you think the Universe 6 arc would turn out?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Now that we know Toriyama-sensei won't be heavily involved with Super till the Universe 6 arc how do you think it would turn out? Jaco the Patrolman shows that Toriyama-sensei is still capable of writing a simple yet engaging story with well-defined characterization... however Dragon Ball Minus shows that might not be the case for Dragon Ball anymore.

-Would the characterization be closer to the original manga (no mentally-challenged and emotionally abused Goku or Douchebag Boo, etc.)?

-Would Toei step up the art/animation quality?

-Would the fight scenes improve?

-Would the pacing be closer to the manga's or Kai's (no unnecessary slice-of-life episodes or cutaways to unfunny gags)?

What do you think will happen?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: How do you think the Universe 6 arc would turn out?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Well BoG and "F" prove that he can still write Dragon Ball very well. Minus is okay but it is wayy to short to draw any conclusions from and honestly it isn't as bad as people make it out too be, had the original Bardock special not existed I don't think people would've disliked it so much anyway U6...

Characterisation I expect to be all over the place U6 looks like it is going to be a mix of Toriyama and Toei. Animation I expect to be the same which is okay 'cuz apart from episode 5 I don't really have a problem with it so far. Fight scenes is BoG was great (SSG Goku vs Beerus that was) so if they somehow manage to improve on that, awesome! And I fully expect slice of life episodes, cutaway scenes that deviate from the action etc it wouldn't be Dragon Ball without them!

I am more than excited and ready for U6, unknown territory. The episode discussion threads are going to be nuts!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Expectations will probably not be blown, except for the easily satiable. Animation will probably be about how it is now. Characters will be still be the main 4, not really divulging from that, and any real meaningful character progression I don't think is gonna happen. Super feels like the after years of Dragon Ball to me. Perhaps the "Where they are now" kinda show. Like pretty much everyone are done as characters, but we get to see what they are doing after Boo was stopped. I doubt many risks will be taken. I'm pretty sure the choreography will remain the happy slap style it has had since the return of Dragon Ball. I stand by the motion is cool, but the impact feels about as painful as two toddlers hitting each other. Sound effects will still suck. Music will still be so boring and suck out a lot of interest in the scenes.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:13 am

Presuming the Uni 6 arc was drafted and written with "weekly series" in mind instead of "oneshot movie", I think there's a chance of getting a bigger percentage of Toriyama-esque portrayals, but since there's no way for him to write all the dialogue for the entire arc there's gonna still be parts that speak whoever the individual scenario writer for any given episode is.

Art/animation-wise, I think it'll remain relatively the same as it has been. Mostly average with the occasional bad art day and occasional amazingly-incredible art day.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:46 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: -Would the characterization be closer to the original manga (no mentally-challenged and emotionally abused Goku or Douchebag Boo, etc.)?

-Would the pacing be closer to the manga's or Kai's (no unnecessary slice-of-life episodes or cutaways to unfunny gags)?

What do you think will happen ?
The characterizations of the original manga are long gone.

They're working on a new One Piece movie so it might go down hill a bit.

We'll have a better idea once the fight with Freeza starts.

I think we'll only get slice of life episodes between arcs but the unfunny gags every 5 minutes are here to stay.

There will probably be some plot twist during or after the tournament.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:46 am

I hope at the start of universe 6 arc there is a time skip maybe a yr or so where goten and trunks looks older and vegeta's daughter bra is born has some slice of life episodes of these characters, I wanna see how vegeta interacts with his daughter....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:23 pm

I don't care how the animation looks if the story is good. Writing is always important over animation. Same with special effects in movies and graphics in video games.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't care how the animation looks if the story is good. Writing is always important over animation. Same with special effects in movies and graphics in video games.
So much this. I couldn't care less about animation.

Just give me a worthwhile story. Oh and a big power up for Piccolo. :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Knowing Toriyama, more risks will be taken with the story, and although I wasn't really keen on the idea of a tournament setting returning, I have faith that Toriyama can deliver a good story and continue to expand the Dragon Ball Universe

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Now that we know Toriyama-sensei won't be heavily involved with Super till the Universe 6 arc how do you think it would turn out? Jaco the Patrolman shows that Toriyama-sensei is still capable of writing a simple yet engaging story with well-defined characterization... however Dragon Ball Minus shows that might not be the case for Dragon Ball anymore.

-Would the characterization be closer to the original manga (no mentally-challenged and emotionally abused Goku or Douchebag Boo, etc.)?

What do you think will happen?
- Unfortunately, I don't think the characterixations of Super will change much. I think they'll change a little, though, because of a possibility of more input from Toriyama.

- NOPE :( and it makes me cry. I really, really hope they do, though.

- I don't think so

- Pacing will be similar to how it is now

*** As for what I think will happen:

1. Tournament. A lot of fun and cool fights.

2. The Super Dragon balls get involved somehow.

3. Vados is the main villain and takes out Whis.

4. Goku and Vegeta have to work together to beat her.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:22 pm

I don't know, but I'm really curious to get another "ending" arc. I've always really enjoyed final-stage Dragon Ball, both in the Boo arc and GT, and it's hitting me now that, even if the connection to the end of manga/Z is maintained, we're going to get another series "ending." I'm excited to see where it goes and how it caps off.

It does seem like this Goku/Vegeta journey with Beerus, Whis, Champa and Vados will be the end of it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Cipher wrote: It does seem like this Goku/Vegeta journey with Beerus, Whis, Champa and Vados will be the end of it.
Goku and Vegeta might become the new gods replacing Beerus and Whis. Goku having Beerus role, and Vegeta whis, just with their own personalities. Goku and Vegeta becoming immortal gods who don't age is something I've thought about. They will forever be the watchers of the universe.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Expectations will probably not be blown, except for the easily satiable. Animation will probably be about how it is now. Characters will be still be the main 4, not really divulging from that, and any real meaningful character progression I don't think is gonna happen. Super feels like the after years of Dragon Ball to me. Perhaps the "Where they are now" kinda show. Like pretty much everyone are done as characters, but we get to see what they are doing after Boo was stopped. I doubt many risks will be taken. Sound effects will still suck. Music will still be so boring and suck out a lot of interest in the scenes.
I concur with this. The most I'm expecting is a decent arc. I'm not going to expect Toriyama to do any wonders after F.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 am

precita wrote:
Cipher wrote: It does seem like this Goku/Vegeta journey with Beerus, Whis, Champa and Vados will be the end of it.
Goku and Vegeta might become the new gods replacing Beerus and Whis. Goku having Beerus role, and Vegeta whis, just with their own personalities. Goku and Vegeta becoming immortal gods who don't age is something I've thought about. They will forever be the watchers of the universe.
Considering how they met their end in DBOnline (I know that was written before BOG was even a thought in the screenwriter's head.) by secretly running away together into outer space to have a final battle-to-the-death, I'm convinced that no matter what their final fate in Super is that it's going to be tied to one another. Whis trying to get the two of them to work together feels too much like foreshadowing. They'll either die together, or they'll end up as 'unaging gods'; I actually think that they've unknowingly become just that after absorbing that god ki and just don't know of the side effect yet (and won't until they reach the point in their lives where they should suddenly become elderly only they don't because of their god ki).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:49 am

Storywise? A Z-Fighter gets killed during the U6 tournament and only the U6 Super Dragon Balls can revive the dead guy - ADVENTURE TIME!

In terms of new characters, designs for both existing and new characters, U6 planets and new transformations? I expect Toriyama to go the simple way - like he's done in the past two movies. I hope he won't though.. Cmon Toriyama, make U6 a mindblown saga! So much potential here for him.

We don't want a green haired Goku and a red looking Cell.