SSJ2: Is it more than just an upgrade of SSJ1?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

SSJ2: Is it more than just an upgrade of SSJ1?

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:56 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while now. SSJ2, obviously is a repeat of SSJ1 in which the saiyan must overcome a certain state of emotional and physical distress while in the SSJ state to become an SSJ2, just in the same way that it is going from base saiyan to SSJ.

But, is SSJ2 really just a huge increase in superhuman strength, speed, and agility? I am of the opinion that the SSJ2 transformation grants other superpowers as well. And they would be:

Immunity to telekinesis

and

Resistance/immunity to mind control

I'm basing these off of what could be filler, or could not be. During the Bojack movie, we saw SSJ2 Gohan not get phased at all by one of Bojack's henchman who had telekinesis abilities. They worked on everyone before. Now it's easy to say that it's just the SSJ2 power level equivalent that's enough to fight telekinesis, but we don't know for sure because I don't think we see any other character in the manga use telekinesis. The only other one I recall is Freeza and that was long before SSJ2 was featured.

During the Majin saga, Vegeta's mind gets corrupted (according to him, on purpose) and he becomes Majin Vegeta. I think it is disputed when Vegeta became an SSJ2, but the Funimation dub had Vegeta saying "...There's one thing you cannot take away from a saiyan, his pride" <--either there he transformed to SSJ2, or became an SSJ2 for the first time, or he was SSJ2 the entire time and just powered up to resist the mind control. If the two latter cases are what actually happened, then it is immunity.

What do you think?

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: SSJ2: Is it more than just an upgrade of SSJ1?

Post by Truhan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:13 pm

If Kaioshin's ability to paralyze SSJ2 Gohan is part of telekinesis, then it's not possible for him to resist that. However, I do have a theory on why SSJ2 Gohan wasn't immune to Kaioshin's paralyzing ability. SSJ2 and SSJ3 require a certain amount of Ki from the user, and if Ki amount (or Power, as I like to address it) should be an attribute like Pokemon's Special from the first generation, then his defenses against a Ki attack were lowered. SSJ Full Power could offer some immunity to that by having maximized Ki, despite strength, speed and stamina not being twice as powerful as with SSJ2.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:16 pm

I think those are much more likely just effects of the Saiyan gaining so much power, as ki is just as much of a spiritual and mental element as it is a physical or bodily one. Those psychic strings that Bojack's crew used are supposed to reduce their captive's strength as well as restrain them, but it seems Gohan was just so far above them in raw power that it had no effect, kind of like when Chaozu failed to restrain Nappa. As for Vegeta, not only was he probably by far the most powerful person that Bobbidi had ever tried to control, but he's also obviously extremely strong-willed and prideful. I think Bobbidi himself even points that out when Vegeta's resisting.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:02 am

i'mfuckingevil wrote:When did Kaioshin apply paralysis to SSJ2 Gohan?
What he used to restrain Gohan so that Spopovitch and Yam could drain off his ki at the Budoukai was known as Paralysis Arts.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:When did Kaioshin apply paralysis to SSJ2 Gohan?
What he used to restrain Gohan so that Spopovitch and Yam could drain off his ki at the Budoukai was known as Paralysis Arts.
Interesting, I never noticed that.

Well, I guess my point is moot.