"Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden (3DS)

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:25 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Anyone else bored of this game already? There's nice sprites, okay gameplay and a little fanservice. But other than that I'm a little upset I bought it.
I wouldn't say bored and upset I bought it, at least in my case, but it is kind of a weird balancing act. I'm enjoying the game, but it's got a similar level of grinding required that Xenoverse had that...eh...I dunno, it just irks me a little. Unlike with Xenoverse though, I seem much more able to put the game down for a few days, come back, and do better than I was before.

That said though, someone please tell me there's an easier way to accumulate Zeni faster than just going back and trying to repeatedly S rank missions you've already beat to get the most cash out of them. Those Hourglass items seem to be the main thing allowing me to S rank newer missions, and they cost so much.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 pm

I got many S ranks without using the hourglass--in fact the only time I needed it was to unlock Android 13. The best items to have are regeneration and energy sponge, but its very possible even without those. My tactic for many of my S ranks was simply to use a lot of assists and then use a high-rush-count Final Ultimate attack. In particular, SS Vegetas explosion does roughly 105 rush and Mystic Gohan's super duper final ultimate kamehameha does very close to 100 rush. That way, you get 100 from rush, ultimate, and technical if you used your assists lots.

S-ranks may seem like a bitch to get, but I can't say I didn't enjoy the strategy of figuring out a good strategy. There are many ways to get them :D

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:50 am

jamiljamtheman wrote:S-ranks may seem like a bitch to get, but I can't say I didn't enjoy the strategy of figuring out a good strategy. There are many ways to get them :D
Agreed. It seemed impossible at first, but once I found a strategy that worked for me, many of the S-Ranks became an utter breeze.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:15 pm

If anyone is interested, ANN did a review for Extreme Butouden. Gave it a C+

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Lord Beerus wrote:If anyone is interested, ANN did a review for Extreme Butouden. Gave it a C+
Solid review. I'd say.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Would anyone happen to know how to unlock all of the team name titles?

I've cleared all of the Z Stories, cleared Adventure Mode with all S-Ranks, cleared Extreme World Tournament (and even unlocked the "True" and "Conqueror" titles from the bonus fights), unlocked all of the combatants, unlocked all of the Z-Assists (until the update, at least), read every character profile, watched the credits, and listened to every sound effect, voice clip, and music track in the sound test.

And yet, I've got a TON of "?" spots in the list of team name titles. Like, there's gotta be more than a hundred question mark spaces remaining. Any ideas? As far as I can tell, I've run out of things to do. Do I just keep playing in battle mode until my power level is high enough? As of right now, it's at 7,980,035.

I think getting all of the titles is the very last thing I have to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:49 am

You have to go back into Adventure Mode, open up the menu, and look through the Character Charts for the various sagas.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:06 am

Hey, wow! Would you look at that! Thanks. I had no idea that stuff was even in there. I think I just assumed that "Character Chart" was the same as the "Character Gallery" in the extras menu, so I never clicked on it. Neat-o!

I think I've 100% completed the game now. Got all of the combatants, all of the Z-Assists, all the team name titles, and cleared / S-ranked everything. I guess now's as good a time as any to post my thoughts!

Z Story: Very tedious, and easily some of the laziest "what if?" stories I've ever seen in any medium. They start to have a little bit of fun with the final "Bad Guys" scenario, but that fun ends far too quickly and by then, you've already played six other scenarios that merely went through the normal Dragon Ball story note-by-note. It's really wordy, too, which I guess you'd expect from a story mode. But when nearly every character's scenario is identical (which makes the numerous typos all the more annoying), it gets old and it gets old fast. It takes forever to get to each individual fight, which is over before you know it (which unintentionally captures the show's tone, I guess?). Not the worst introduction to the game, but I won't have very fond memories.

Adventure Mode: This was the worst. Very little fun was had. Of course, that's from the perspective of someone who spent all of his time S-ranking everything, so maybe those who don't go into it like that will enjoy themselves more. Here's a breakdown of nearly all of my fights.

1.) Immediately deploy the Metal Coola Z-Assist to get the opponent the hell away from me.
2.) Continually press the "A" button to shoot ki blasts and keep the opponent the hell away from me.
3.) Deploy the Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta Z-Assist (while continually pressing the "A" button) to rack up a high Rush Count.
4.) Pray that the opponent doesn't get close enough to damage me at the last minute and ruin my "Perfect" ranking.

Again, very little fun. You could make the argument that I forced that upon myself by using the same pattern over and over (and I agree). But if you want to unlock all of the Z-Assists, the game does kind of force you to rely on only a couple different bags of tricks to get a score of 400. Everyone's mileage may vary, but I found it really difficult to play Adventure Mode any other way. Not a fan of the items, either (for what little number of times I used them). I had no idea that items like "Regeneration" and "Energy Sponge" stayed with you after the match ended. I just assumed that they vanished like every other item. The game doesn't really tell you otherwise (aside from showing "Sold Out" in the shop, which led me to believe that I could only use them once, so I never used them!). I finally used them in the final match, only to discover that I could have had them equipped all along with no consequence. :/ But I still got my S-ranks, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Biggest Complaint: This thing needs a "retry" button. Mother of God.

Also, all those damn typos. It was almost as bad as Z Story Mode. I really hope they get fixed if we get a patch.

For what it's worth, my line-up of Z-Assists consisted of Metal Coola, Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, Karin, and Gine. Occasionally I'd choose Pan or Kibito. They were all very good to me.

Extreme World Tournament: My favorite part of the game. After all the wordy cutscenes in Story Mode, after all the annoying missions/requirements in Adventure Mode, after ALL the restrictions, here's a mode that finally cuts you loose and says "Here's a bunch of opponents in a row. Your only goal is to win. Now play the game however you want and have some FUN." And there was fun! I actually really, really enjoy the combat system in this game. This is the only mode where I felt I could really appreciate it to its fullest. No complaints.

Other Thoughts, In No Particular Order:

- The original Japanese voices brought me immense enjoyment. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, Bandai Namco.

- I really hope we get the patch that Japan got. An Online Mode and Training Mode would help a lot. And the only Z-Assists I'm missing are the ones from the patch (Tractor Goku, Bingo Vegeta, Policeman Kuririn). Couldn't care less about those Xenoverse characters, but I guess I'd rather have them than not.

- I'm still not crazy about the roster. Too many Gokus, too many Gohans, etc. I was willing to give the game a chance when I got it. I thought, "Maybe everyone will have their own unique combat style to make up for it." But they're really not different enough. Vegeta and Super Saiyan Vegeta, for example, play almost exactly the same (They even have the same victory animation!). So I stand by what I said. Get rid of the Super Saiyans. There are many more people I'd rather see.

- I hope we keep getting more Z-Assists as DLC or with free patches or something like that. The ones that we have are fantastic and creative, but there are some other characters I'd really love to see (Marron, Giru, Slug, Tarble, Baby, Arale, etc.)!

- The sprites and character animations (on both the combatants and the Z-Assists) just OOZE charm. Even if this game had nothing else to offer, I could love it for that stuff alone. It's great to see so many creative nods to the series.

- It's fascinating to go through the list of voice actors. A lot of casting choices were expected (like the new Kai actors for Ginyu and Nappa), but there's some surprising stuff in here. The late Ichirō Nagai got to reprise Karin! And the late Chikao Ōtsuka got to reprise TaoPaiPai! And Hiro Yūki voices Dende! And Atsushi Kisaichi voices Super Uub! And a lot of the Shadow Dragon voice actors and movie villain voice actors reprised their roles. I wasn't expecting that considering how long it's been. And it's always great to hear Mami Koyama come back to voice Lunch. Megumi Urawa isn't credited, though. Did she not voice Kid Uub? I really hope she did.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. I'm hoping for a sequel (or at least, more updates)!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kokos

Post by Kokos » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:17 am

That's nice to read, MagicBox. My conclusions are almost completely the same as yours.
I didn't like Z-story either, it was indeed too wordy compared to how short battles are.
Adventure mode was something I liked better, but I lost a bit of interest once you had to beat Frieza again even though you already did that in adventure mode... that's when it began to drag a bit, I think. Not sure what the point was of the world map either. Tournament mode is great, although Ginyu and Broly are usually roadblocks for me. :oops: I can't just pick anything I want and expect to do well, which I'm fine with. Maybe I'm not good enough, aside from DBZ I never play fighting games, let alone Arc System Works games.

Something I would like though, is a different way to activate assists. Now you can only use the touch screen, which is a bit awkward considering the speed of the gameplay. Maybe the circle pad would've been better. I've seen videos of others activate assists rather fluently, I wonder how they do it.

I liked the game a lot too. The graphics, soundtrack and gameplay are a success. I like the assist system, it lets characters from the series with less appeal shine without making them playable. It's great how characters like Bulma, Dende or Mighty Mask have a gameplay function in this game, characters you'd expect to be ignored. Not to mention it's great fanservic. DB, DBZ, GT, canon movies and even the non-canon movies. Why didn't anyone else think about this? That, combined with the easy to pick up but harder to master fighting engine makes the gameplay fun.
As a complete package, the game falls short though. Cutscenes are merely text with a few pictures, no rematch option, no training mode (yet), AI is fairly easy and can't defend itself well against spamming, no English voice acting, 100 % completion is easily obtained and takes little time (10-12 hours is a good guess). Luckily the successful elements of the game stand out enough for me, but for others it might not.
I'm just glad I get to play a traditional Dragon Ball fighting game again. That seemed to have died down every since Raging Blast 2, Ultimate Butouden and Budokai HD Collection. The newer DBZ games seem more about finding ways to innovate and it's usually something I can't get excited about. Xenoverse in particular is full of stuff I couldn't possibly care less about, yet it seems like Xenoverse is the future for the console games. I'll be hoping with you for a sequel, or any DBZ game done by Arc System Works! Maybe I'll check out their other games (Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Guilty Gear).

Anyway, someone on Gamefaqs made a little guide about SSJ Goku. It's pretty cool to see others analyse the game, discovering different layers or tricks. I wish I could, but I don't play fighting games. Credits go to the people of that thread of course. Hopefully more characters get a similar analysis.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/129059-d ... n/72791254

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Anyone else bored of this game already? There's nice sprites, okay gameplay and a little fanservice. But other than that I'm a little upset I bought it.
I wouldn't say bored and upset I bought it, at least in my case, but it is kind of a weird balancing act. I'm enjoying the game, but it's got a similar level of grinding required that Xenoverse had that...eh...I dunno, it just irks me a little. Unlike with Xenoverse though, I seem much more able to put the game down for a few days, come back, and do better than I was before.

That said though, someone please tell me there's an easier way to accumulate Zeni faster than just going back and trying to repeatedly S rank missions you've already beat to get the most cash out of them. Those Hourglass items seem to be the main thing allowing me to S rank newer missions, and they cost so much.
There isn't, but the good news is you don't need hourglasses. Just get Energy Sponge and Regeneration instead. They don't get used up after a mission and you should be able to finish every mission with 100% health, which is 200 free points. As long as you make good use of Z Assists and do an Ultimate Combo you should manage 400-500 points with ease. A few missions will be exceptions, but most are a breeze with that combo.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:59 am

Seeing notices of an update to add SS4 Gohan and SS4 Broli as assist characters to the Japanese version over on Twitter. No idea if this is live or just something mentioned in the new Heroes guidebook as something that will be releasing soon...? There's no context or images. :/
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:21 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Seeing notices of an update to add SS4 Gohan and SS4 Broli as assist characters to the Japanese version over on Twitter. No idea if this is live or just something mentioned in the new Heroes guidebook as something that will be releasing soon...? There's no context or images. :/
D'oh. Wish I caught this before I left for the day. I can check, but it won't be until this evening, and by then I'm sure someone will have caught onto it with a better confirmation.

(Hmm... looks like there's a big live stream event next week... I guess some big updates are indeed coming for various things.)

EDIT: Nope, nothing yet. EB still at 1.1 and UM2 still at 1.5 for latest patches.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 am

So, uhm.. I Pre-ordered on Amazon UK, but got the US version, and I can`t get the UK version in return... What to do...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Seeing notices of an update to add SS4 Gohan and SS4 Broli as assist characters to the Japanese version over on Twitter. No idea if this is live or just something mentioned in the new Heroes guidebook as something that will be releasing soon...? There's no context or images. :/
D'oh. Wish I caught this before I left for the day. I can check, but it won't be until this evening, and by then I'm sure someone will have caught onto it with a better confirmation.

(Hmm... looks like there's a big live stream event next week... I guess some big updates are indeed coming for various things.)

EDIT: Nope, nothing yet. EB still at 1.1 and UM2 still at 1.5 for latest patches.
Okay, so I wasn't crazy. Apparently, it's just not out yet:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Why not have SSj4 Broli and SSj4 Gohan has a playable character? The roster needs more characters. I hope we get a sequel with a bigger roster (but not too big).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why not have SSj4 Broli and SSj4 Gohan has a playable character? The roster needs more characters. I hope we get a sequel with a bigger roster (but not too big).
Presumably because Z-Assists are far easier to make. It's a single set of animations and interactions that never change, as opposed to having to create unique animations for all sorts of circumstances and then having to balance the roster all over again if they were to be a normal, playable character.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:30 am

Any news on online?

TheGameTagerZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGameTagerZ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Zombie wrote:Any news on online?
Probably coming next month in Japan.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Excellent more modes. This is just what the game needs.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:53 pm

If I buy this game on the e-shop, do I get Super Butoden 2?