Most memorable BS dub lines / names

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Most memorable BS dub lines / names

Post by Adamant » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

ABED wrote:What's the pun? Isn't Pai Pai just a term for breasts or something?
"Tao Bai Bai" is Chinese for "peach white white". It's another variant on the color puns in all that arc's villains' names.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:17 am

I forgot! Most of the renamed attack names, becuase the translations are either inaccurate (Tri Beam), dumb sounding (Destructo Disk), or both (Special Beam Cannon). Also for some reason, Tenshinhan's dub name, "T-i-e-n Shinhan" really bugs me. I think it's because they make it sound like "T-i-e-n" is his first name, and "Shinhan" is his last name. As if he comes from the "Shinhan" family. It may seem minor, but it really annoys me.
Last edited by DanielSSJ on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:55 am

No, his full dub name is T'i"en Shinhan. Its in one of the dub titles for Dragonball spelled like that. The Shinhan is only there once as if its his last name.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:05 am

precita wrote:No, his full dub name is T'i"en Shinhan. Its in one of the dub titles for Dragonball spelled like that. The Shinhan is only there once as if its his last name.
It's because of the word fillter.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:12 am

DanielSSJ wrote:I forgot! Most of the renamed attack names, becuase the translations are either unaccurate (Tri Beam), dumb sounding (Destructo Disk), or both (Special Beam Cannon). Also for some reason, Tenshinhan's dub name, "T-i-e-n Shinhan" really bugs me. I think it's because they make it sound like "T-i-e-n" is his first name, and "Shinhan" is his last name. As if he comes from the "Shinhan" family. It may seem minor, but it really annoys me.
Goddamn word filter.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:21 am

DanielSSJ wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:I forgot! Most of the renamed attack names, becuase the translations are either unaccurate (Tri Beam), dumb sounding (Destructo Disk), or both (Special Beam Cannon). Also for some reason, Tenshinhan's dub name, "T-i-e-n Shinhan" really bugs me. I think it's because they make it sound like "T-i-e-n" is his first name, and "Shinhan" is his last name. As if he comes from the "Shinhan" family. It may seem minor, but it really annoys me.
Goddamn word filter.
I like the word fillter but that's because the "i' in "Frei'za" just burns my eyes. :lol:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Adamant wrote:
ABED wrote:What's the pun? Isn't Pai Pai just a term for breasts or something?
"Tao Bai Bai" is Chinese for "peach white white". It's another variant on the color puns in all that arc's villains' names.
You'd think with how punderific FUNimation tended to be at that time, they'd jump at the chance to have a villain that could let them make the joke "Tao Bai Bai's gonna make you go bye-bye".

...Yeah, that's a terrible joke. But they'd totally do it.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SupaFumeiJin

Post by SupaFumeiJin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:51 pm

I'll tell ya, Linda Young's Freeza voice sure was something... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJbQRapy_Is
"That's not wrong gentlemen 'mondo cool' is a very accurate description for what is being shown to you at this exact moment"

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:16 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:
Goddamn word filter.
I like the word fillter but that's because the "i' in "Frei'za" just burns my eyes. :lol:
Yeah, but it sucks when you're trying to compare the japanese names to the dub names. I write Tenshinhan naturally anyways, since the whole T*i*en thing annoys the crap outta me

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:49 pm

I've had a hunch for awhile that the dub names for Soukidan and Genki Dama were probably switched or something. If you took the dub names "Spirit Bomb" and "Spirit Ball" and applied them to the opposite attacks, they're not quite perfect translations, but you can see what they're going for a lot better than the other way around.

"Spirit Ball" is actually an okay translation of Genki Dama (元気玉; more like "Energy Ball," although 元気 genki can mean you are "in good spirits"), and "Spirit Bomb" may be a loose translation of Soukidan (繰気弾 Spinning Ki Bullet), if you translated ki as "spirit" and mistranslated "dan" as "bomb" by association with bakudan (爆弾 literally "exploding bullet").

You might be wondering what happened to the "sou" at the beginning, but the dub names have left out whole kanji in their localizations before, like Rouga Fuufuu Ken (狼牙風風拳 "Wolf Fang Wind Fist") becoming just "Wolf Fang Fist." Actually, maybe "spirit" was just their translation of 気 ki and they were ignoring the 元 gen in Genki Dama all along?
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Not really a big deal, but why does the dub spell Vegetto's name "Vegito"? There is no "i" in Kakarot or Vegeta that I know of.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:10 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:Not really a big deal, but why does the dub spell Vegetto's name "Vegito"? There is no "i" in Kakarot or Vegeta that I know of.
"Vegeta" is written "Bejīta" (ベジータ) in Japanese. We change the b, j, and i because it's a play on "vegetable." Same thing applies to Vegetto, which is wriiten Bejitto (ベジット) in Japanese. Funimation simply negleted to change the "i" to an "e" that time. Who knows why. Most likely a simple slip up.

This next part is unrelated, but as a kid (who had no idea that Kakarrot was actually "Kakarotto" in Japanese), I thought that "Vegeto," was the opposite of "Gogeta," in the sense that it was a combination of Vegeta and Goku. I didn't know anything about what kana was or anything like that. I just imagined that the "g" in the middle was pulling double duty as the letter in Vegeta's name and the first letter of Goku's name. Man, that was a long time ago.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:23 am

DanielSSJ wrote:Not really a big deal, but why does the dub spell Vegetto's name "Vegito"? There is no "i" in Kakarot or Vegeta that I know of.
Just like how they changed the spelling for Freeza and Tenshinhan into Fr''i''eza and T''i''en Shinhan.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:08 pm

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
Just like how they changed the spelling for Freeza and Tenshinhan into Fr''i''eza and T''i''en Shinhan.
What I mean is that in the english spelling of Kakarrot and Vegeta, there is no "i." So why is there an "i" in the english spelling of Vegetto?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Thouser wrote:
"Vegeta" is written "Bejīta" (ベジータ) in Japanese. We change the b, j, and i because it's a play on "vegetable." Same thing applies to Vegetto, which is wriiten Bejitto (ベジット) in Japanese. Funimation simply negleted to change the "i" to an "e" that time. Who knows why. Most likely a simple slip up.

This next part is unrelated, but as a kid (who had no idea that Kakarrot was actually "Kakarotto" in Japanese), I thought that "Vegeto," was the opposite of "Gogeta," in the sense that it was a combination of Vegeta and Goku. I didn't know anything about what kana was or anything like that. I just imagined that the "g" in the middle was pulling double duty as the letter in Vegeta's name and the first letter of Goku's name. Man, that was a long time ago.
Um, I'm sorry but shouldnt it be Vegeta? Because otherwise it would be GoVeget.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Bejiita + Kakarotto = Bejiitto
Vegeta + Kakarott(o) = Vegetto
Gokuu + Bejiita = Gojiita
Goku + Vegeta = Gogeta
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

OH GOD! Gogeta is pronounced Gojiita? Mind. Blown. That's what I get for relying too much on the Latin American dub lol. This is the one time the rough romanization actually helps!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:13 pm

How do you guys feel about the dub calling it, "Kami's lookout."

Just curious. They also call Kami "Guardian of the Earth" instead of God, since Kami doesn't mean anything in english. They treat Kami as if its his Namek name in the dub.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:52 pm

Goku: Horrible monster! You should never have been BOORN!!

That dub...it just captures Goku's pure and merciful nature so perfectly :lol: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:07 pm

precita wrote:How do you guys feel about the dub calling it, "Kami's lookout."

Just curious. They also call Kami "Guardian of the Earth" instead of God, since Kami doesn't mean anything in english. They treat Kami as if its his Namek name in the dub.
I'm fairly certain that they changed Kami's title from God to "Guardian of the Earth" to avoid pissing off Christian parents. Same with changing Mr. Satan's name to the H-word, though they do treat "Kami" as a title rather than just a name. Since a lot of characters are only known by their titles(Kaio-sama, Kame Sennin/Muten Roshi, Uranai Baba, etc.) it works.