What is the General Consensus for Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What is the General Consensus for Super?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:40 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Freeza wanting to kill Krillin again to purposefully agitate Goku was a new low. Its pretty much the poster child for everything wrong with all things F related and the new material when it comes to developing characters.
As people have explained to you before, it's a character trait of Freeza and he wants to torture Goku. He thinks he's strong enough to beat Goku now and he wants him to suffer, that's the whole point of his revenge, to make Goku suffer.
And as I pointed out before, there's a way to do this without making Freeza look like a total, brain dead, logic hating imbecile. He can kill Krillin after he beats Goku towards an inch of his life, at which point Goku has absolutely no chance in hell of fighting back or winning regardless of how angry he is and make him suffer just the same. Him wanting to kill Krillin now when Goku's perfectly healthy is stupid. I don't care if it is his character trait, there's a more appropriate time to do it without making the character seem like the biggest dumbass since everyone ever in the Android Saga.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Then we must have different definitions of what "being exaggerated parodies of who they really are".
So you're saying that the Chichi we're seeing is Super is the same one who in Z told Gohan he could train with Goku and who took it upon herself to train Goten ?
Considering that Z Chi-Chi is and exaggerated padory of manga Chi-Chi, yes, they are the same character.
True, but even that one acknowledged her slight attitude change in the Boo Saga. Toei completely ignores it in Super for their own stupid, cartoon character version of said character because they want to waste people's time with shitty gags.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
sintzu wrote: You can like the way they're written now if you want but the complains that the writing is getting isn't BS it's well deserved cause these characters are nothing more then exaggerated parodies of who they really are.
Then we must have different definitions of what "being exaggerated parodies of who they really are".

Buu-overly bratty. he supposed to have a sweet side,especially after meeting mr satan. and he's supposed to be zen now and not have this anger management issue to prevent a new evil buu.

chi-chi-to much of a ...well let's just say not nice lady :)

vegeta-borderline gag character,being out of character just for bad jokes

If you don't see a problem with vegeta in super,you clearly don't know his character. I mean people had hard enough time excusing bingo saying it was a painful experience for him he did for the earth self-lessly. But in super he acts as silly as ed from ed edd eddy out of nowhere.

Also that picture of 18 you got is very good! Whoever drew it was superb!
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Freeza wanting to kill Krillin again to purposefully agitate Goku was a new low. Its pretty much the poster child for everything wrong with all things F related and the new material when it comes to developing characters.
As people have explained to you before, it's a character trait of Freeza and he wants to torture Goku. He thinks he's strong enough to beat Goku now and he wants him to suffer, that's the whole point of his revenge, to make Goku suffer.
And as I pointed out before, there's a way to do this without making Freeza look like a total, brain dead, logic hating imbecile. He can kill Krillin after he beats Goku towards an inch of his life, at which point Goku has absolutely no chance in hell of fighting back or winning regardless of how angry he is and make him suffer just the same. Him wanting to kill Krillin now when Goku's perfectly healthy is stupid. I don't care if it is his character trait, there's a more appropriate time to do it without making the character seem like the biggest dumbass since everyone ever in the Android Saga.
It would show us that Freeza has assessed and paid attention to his previous mistake. So far his only mistake seems to be he wasn't strong enough, which really isn't true. His problem was toying around too much which in the end got him beaten and later killed. Though because of recent revelations I already think Freeza is a lazy moron so it's hard to make me care about him as much.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:48 am

Cannot speak for the most general audience, but among my group of friends it's "Super is really good when it's not retelling the movies."

I agree with that. Maybe the Resurrection F translation-to-television will be better than Battle of Gods'.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Battousai » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 am

Duskp wrote:You know what? I'm freaking loving Super, flaws and all.

I mean, it's Dragon Ball... Really Dragon Ball.

Sure, some characters might not be acting like people expected, and maybe it's less violent than DBZ was (actually, I'd say most anime nowadays are much less violent)

But Dragon Ball is back, for the first time in 13 years, I get to periodically watch a new episode of Dragon Ball where I do not know what's going to happen.
Hell, the BoG arc is being a blast, regardless of it retelling the movie.

Super (and BoG and RoF) has this "Dragon Ball" feeling that GT didn't have. Toriyama may be forgetful and all that, but he knows what he's doing.

And it won't be a few episodes with terrible animation that will change the fact that, every week, I get to sit down and feel the same excitement I felt as a child watching Dragon Ball.

Seriously, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Dragon Ball is back.
This.

People bitch about everything nowadays. They're just too spoiled.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:19 am

dbzfan7 wrote:It would show us that Freeza has assessed and paid attention to his previous mistake. So far his only mistake seems to be he wasn't strong enough, which really isn't true. His problem was toying around too much which in the end got him beaten and later killed. Though because of recent revelations I already think Freeza is a lazy moron so it's hard to make me care about him as much.
I think the series has tried to hammer in our heads countless times that Freeza's a dumbfuck that doesn't learn from his mistakes. Because, if he learnt from his mistakes, then he'd win. And the villain can't win, so he'll never learn anything.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:It would show us that Freeza has assessed and paid attention to his previous mistake. So far his only mistake seems to be he wasn't strong enough, which really isn't true. His problem was toying around too much which in the end got him beaten and later killed. Though because of recent revelations I already think Freeza is a lazy moron so it's hard to make me care about him as much.
I think the series has tried to hammer in our heads countless times that Freeza's a dumbfuck that doesn't learn from his mistakes. Because, if he learnt from his mistakes, then he'd win. And the villain can't win, so he'll never learn anything.
Fair enough observation, but it just makes me not give a shit about Freeza or his return if he's still a dumbass. He at least has 1 back up plan so it's a start. If anything it hammers in fanservice was his only real reason for returning, and not at all doing anything interesting for his character. Tagoma so far seems to have been the only one who got any character and learned/grew. Funny how the one character who changed over time is probably gonna be taken out for more fanservice with Ginyu.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Duskp wrote: (actually, I'd say most anime nowadays are much less violent)
There is still a lot of violent anime out of there. Akame Ga Kill, Parasyte and Future Dairy are pretty brutal. Blood C and Corpse Party are pretty new anime shows and they are extremely violent. I do agree with the rest of your post. I'm happy that the series is back with a new series on TV. I do wish that they could have waited for Toriyama to compete his story for the U6 saga and future stories first. They could have waited until next year for the 30th anniversary of the first DB TV series and have episode 1 be a 5 minute recap of the last two films to catch people up.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/