Thoughts on Kid Buu

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Thoughts on Kid Buu

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Kid Buu was a fun villain, but I do wish Toriyama had Buu go back to Grey Buu after Vegeta ripped out Fat Buu. Kid Buu is the reason why the debate over Super Buu vs. Kid Buu will never end. I would have liked it better if we had Super Buu as the final villain in DBZ.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:59 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole Buu character, not just Kid Buu, and whilst I could spend all day picking apart the parts of that saga that I didn't like, or would've done differently, I thought it was an excellent end to the series.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I personally prefer villains that are more strategic, and have goals in mind when doing their damage. Villains such as Frieza, who had a galactic empire, ran a mafia business selling planets which was very profitable, and calculated his moves and the consequences before he did them; (destroying planet Vegeta because of the fear that the Saiyans were growing too powerful and could one day challenge him). Other villains such as Piccolo Jr had specific goals in mind, which in his case was killing Goku and succeeding in world domination like his father desired. Cell desired perfection which was what Dr. Gero created him for, so he knew his purpose. Vegeta in the early part of DBZ simply wanted to use the Dragonballs so he could be immortal and challenge Freeza. All of these bad guys had goals in mind.

Kid Buu was simply a monster. He didn't have anything in mind except blowing up planet after planet. I enjoyed the fights, and loved Kid Buu's crazy antics, but he was too wild for my taste. He was all brawn and not much brain. No disrespect to Kid Buu fans out there though. On a positive note, his role in the series was without question tremendous, and his impact changed the DBZ universe. He was the only villain to succeed in actually destroying the Earth, and he was perhaps the most dangerous villain in DBZ history. I say he was the most dangerous villain in the series because he didn't have a purpose or a goal except to destroy for fun. A powerful maniac indeed.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:03 am

omaro34 wrote:I personally prefer villains that are more strategic, and have goals in mind when doing their damage. Villains such as Freeza, who had a galactic empire, ran a mafia business selling planets which was very profitable, and calculated his moves and the consequences before he did them; (destroying planet Vegeta because of the fear that the Saiyans were growing too powerful and could one day challenge him). Other villains such as Piccolo Jr had specific goals in mind, which in his case was killing Goku and succeeding in world domination like his father desired. Cell desired perfection which was what Dr. Gero created him for, so he knew his purpose. Vegeta in the early part of DBZ simply wanted to use the Dragonballs so he could be immortal and challenge Freeza. All of these bad guys had goals in mind.

Kid Buu was simply a monster. He didn't have anything in mind except blowing up planet after planet. I enjoyed the fights, and loved Kid Buu's crazy antics, but he was too wild for my taste. He was all brawn and not much brain. No disrespect to Kid Buu fans out there though. On a positive note, his role in the series was without question tremendous, and his impact changed the DBZ universe. He was the only villain to succeed in actually destroying the Earth, and he was perhaps the most dangerous villain in DBZ history. I say he was the most dangerous villain in the series because he didn't have a purpose or a goal except to destroy for fun. A powerful maniac indeed.
Cell had no goals after achieving perfection. He just wanted to , well, fight everyone in a tournament. He did not want true destruction, nor conquering the universe, nor become any more stronger, nor anything else.

" I have no purpose now. I wonder how strong I have become. You two became 3 times stronger in one day. I give you 10 days, let me see how strong can you become and fight me. I am perfect. You are not."

" You know kid, you are stronger than goku, who is a great opponent for me. Still you have a lot of hidden power in you? If you even become 20% stronger, you will surpass me, but I want you to do it. I hug you , please calm doen and release your power. I will create kids for your friends. Please release your full power."

"Jrs, kill them if you want."
"Stop playing and kill them."
"It's my order, kill them NOW"
"please , please listen to me kids. I'm your father, listen to me and kill them"
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:10 am

I've always thought he was awesome as the final villain. A complete psycho with no restraint, unlimited stamina, and fast regeneration abilities. And I've always liked fighting him in the games too. I remember getting my ass kicked by him over and over in Budokai 2. Good times. :)

And he had some really funny moments like when he starts biting Goku, then Goku retaliates by biting back. His fight with Goku is one of the greats btw. His fight with Mr Satan was classic comedy too. And I always laugh at the part where Fat Buu accidentally turns that rock into candy and Kid Buu's first instinct is to shovel it into his mouth, and you see Mr Satan doing the same thing in the background. Madness but awesome all the same.

Also it's worth pointing out that Kid Buu succeeded in killing Gohan (albeit cheaply), who was one of the few major characters not to have ever died ever in the series up to that point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:38 am

He just wanted to , well, fight everyone in a tournament. He did not want true destruction.
I'm not sure what you mean by true destruction, but his goal was to see fear on people's faces before he killed them. I would definitely call that a destructive goal. Regarding Kid Buu, he's chaos incarnate, which I liked, though as a final villain, I'm not sure. I'm just glad there's one dub voice for Buu that's actually good.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 pm

I still think they should have Super Buu be the final villain or have Buu return back to Grey Buu. It never made sense on how removing Fat Buu inside Super Buu made him go back to Kid Buu. Won't Buu return back to Grey Buu?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Worst villain ever, worst arc ever, hated him, hated all of the Buus, and hated everything the Buu arc represented. Oh, and I hate him.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Worst villain ever, worst arc ever, hated him, hated all of the Buus, and hated everything the Buu arc represented. Oh, and I hate him.
So.. you hated character development? And the idea of humanity uniting in the universe's darkest hour?

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Worst villain ever, worst arc ever, hated him, hated all of the Buus, and hated everything the Buu arc represented. Oh, and I hate him.
So.. you hated character development? And the idea of humanity uniting in the universe's darkest hour?
No, I just hate lazy writing. Nice try though.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
So... you hate the Android/Cell arc?

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:So.. you hated character development? And the idea of humanity uniting in the universe's darkest hour?
So... you hate the Android/Cell arc?
Correct. The series peaked between the King Piccolo and Freeza arc, everything after that, in my opinion, was pure shit.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Sounds to me you take this series too seriously then. The Buu saga was pure fun and Cell are was drama.

Its not like training for Saiyans was some amazing storytelling since the manga didn't even show any of the training

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:04 pm

precita wrote:Sounds to me you take this series too seriously then. The Buu saga was pure fun and Cell are was drama.

Its not like training for Saiyans was some amazing storytelling since the manga didn't even show any of the training
That's where you're wrong. I never touted Dragon Ball as some storytelling brilliance like you thought. The arcs I mentioned struck the perfect balance between drama and fun, Cell was too dramatic and Buu was just forced fun. Not even gonna mention Super. I even admitted I hated the Cell arc which was the one that took itself the most seriously. Do tell me since I don't post here much anymore but is enjoying the Buu arc a new rule now?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
precita wrote:Sounds to me you take this series too seriously then. The Buu saga was pure fun and Cell are was drama.

That's where you're wrong. I never touted Dragon Ball as some storytelling brilliance like you thought. The arcs I mentioned struck the perfect balance between drama and fun, Cell was too dramatic and Buu was just forced fun. Not even gonna mention Super. I even admitted I hated the Cell arc which was the one that took itself the most seriously. Do tell me since I don't post here much anymore but is enjoying the Buu arc a new rule now?
What do you mean by "Buu arc a new rule"?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Pure Majin Boo is awesome, fun character and a decent final villain. Also:
https://youtu.be/HRWZ9NBpmnM
Please don't judge me, i like listening to cheesy good ol' AMVs from time to time :p

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 pm

The topic focuses on Kid Buu, but I want to expose all my generals thoughts on the character of Majin Buu.
Assuming that, unlike the most of the fandom, I love ALL villains created by Toriyama (Daimao Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, Buu) I intend to explain, separately, what I find beautiful and fascinating in every one of them.

Majin Buu is one of the most beautiful and extravagant creations of Toriyama, in all its forms: is full of personality, and manages to be funny,scary, sweet and, sometimes, even to disturbing ( i will never forget the scene where he joined in liquid form inside that killer causing it to explode from within). The concept at the base of realization is simple as it is functional. He is instinctively linked to evil because it is completely unknown the concept of good. For this reason, for having a knowledge of "good", search a heart, despite this causes him a decrease of the power (and Kid Buu is evil in its purest form, without the slightest hint of good in him). Philosophical concept linked to Socrate: evil is generated by ignorance. Not surprisingly, an ordinary man like Satan was able to stop the destructive force of Fat Buu just showing him something different to what his former masters had always shown him. The dog scene is one of the most beautiful in the saga.

How not to mention, his threatening as comedian appearance, of his powers and his abilities, and intelligence? Once again, toriyama revealed all his creativity, and all his passion for sci-fi movies (who have never thought, seeing Super Buu liquefy and rebuild himself, at the T-1000 of Terminetor 2?).

Even when it becomes totally evil, it remains very interesting, despite the loss of his conflicted dualism. It's funny, smart, and his intentions are totally disconnected from the previous villains, making unique. Who is convinced that he has no a real goal, i think he has not read the saga with much attention. Its goal is one of the most humane and simple to understand: entertainment; fight, eat, kill or destroy, he means just have fun. You would have preferred him equal to Vegeta or Freeza? It would be boring and repetitive, to my. Among all other Villain, only Cell shares this trait, but in a different way (later I'll explain why he too is built perfectly, despite what some say).

Aesthetically, I love Kid Buu and Buutenks (evil bu with gotenks). Kid bu is perfect: small, elegant and very strong.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:46 am

I like Kid Buu as a final transformation. I thought that going from Super to Buff and then Kid Buu would make a fine transition in a fighting game, because it's roughly the same model that they have to animate, by changing his proportions around. As an aside, I would make Fat Buu release Evil Buu through his steaming anger, and have the latter perform the Kamehameha with his help (like the Father Son version).

Kid Buu occupied a fine spot between the threats that were up against fusion, and the ones that caused so much trouble early on. It was a perfect fit to bring back SSJ3 Goku, and the best finishing move that the series has ever had. Add Uub to sweeten the deal, and you know that Goku had just found his match, if not a sparring partner for life.