"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zetto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Zetto » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 pm

TripleRach wrote:Episode 9 seems to be untouched as well. The issue with 9 was just a lot of doofy faces, right? But here's the screenshots I took anyway, so I don't come empty handed. I didn't upload the corresponding TV screenshots because there didn't seem to be much point.
Okay, now episode 9 became my absolute worst nightmare. Didn't even remember this off-model art.
Possibly one of the biggest
Greek Dragon Ball Fans.

ドラゴンボール Ντράγκονμπολ

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Zetto wrote:Am I the only one that is completely okay with the flashbacks being recycled?
Personally, I'm totally ok with it. Most of the flashbacks up to now have been about 30 seconds long, it just isn't enough to justify paying someone to re-draw them. If they were perfectly fine to air for Kai, then it is fine for them to air now.

There was a scene in One Piece last week where they re-drew Zoro Vs. Mihawk at Baratie, but in total, that lasted for more than 3 minutes. If the scenes they were using for Super lasted that long, then they would have been re-drawn, no doubt, but 30 seconds here and there, not worth it.
I think the Z flashbacks had barely 10 seconds at most, except for the episode 1 recap.

And yeah, i don't see why they should redraw it. If they did, then people would complain it "lacked the impact" of the original or something. Happens all the time with the fanbase of long running shows when they reanimate an old scene. People are never happy, anyway.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The decision to re-use shots from Dragon Ball Kai are made by the episode director and storyboard artist and almost certainly a case of being low on time.
If that's the case then I don't get why they went with Kai footage instead of utilizing the recent reanimations of some of those flashbacks provided by FnF (Mirai Trunks killing Mecha Freeza) and the Ultimate Tenkaichi cutscenes (Cell exploding in Kaio-sama's planet). Did they forgot this footage existed?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm

With regard to the latter, that's almost certainly because they're just the hired gun for that project and don't inherently "own" the footage themselves. With the movie specifically (and also the game footage), it's likely due to the various different members on the production committees, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

I see. Thanks for the enlightenment.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Yes, it's doubtful the majority of the money for Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F came from Fuji TV and Toei Animation. Animation studios themselves rarely have the money to produce anything on their own, hence the creation of production committees and television network partnerships. With Dragon Ball Kai, however, we know it was paid for mostly in part by Fuji TV, so it makes sense to use something already owned by them. The flashback to Gokuu and Kuririn's training or the spare shot of Gohan from the Namek arc can easily be chalked up to wanting to try to win whatever creative battles the production team could, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Alright, my copy of the Super Blu-ray arrived, so I can give you a quick rundown of what I think about Episode 5's improvements in motion. I'll throw up a comparison video later so you can all judge for yourselves.

Unsurprisingly, the fixed up frames don't really improve the first half of the episode to any mindblowing degree. It's essentially shifted from horribly drawn, off-model, and badly animated to mostly on-model, solid drawings, but horrible animation. Really, if you didn't like the storyboarding in the first place, you're not likely to have a change of heart over prettier characters. Note that there don't appear to be any corrections outside of added highlights pre-Super Saiyan transformation, so Goku still looks very awkward, especially when he's doing his leg stretches.

Part 2 is where the corrections really shine. The second half was really nicely storyboarded and actually had some solid animation pre-corrections, so this shouldn't be a huge surprise. The added detail to Goku throughout the fight really helps bring things up a notch. I can't imagine too many people will have much to say here. It's an improvement to something that wasn't totally terrible in the first place.

I guess the TL;DR of it all is: if you expected these corrections to turn the episode around entirely, you will be sorely disappointed. They would have had to have reanimated the entire first portion of the episode, and they simply don't have the time or resources to do so. If you weren't too bothered about the poor choreography, but the horrendous keys were throwing you out of the episode, then this should be a decent enough upgrade. Not perfect. Decent.

I'll be looking through the rest of the episodes anyway, but if there's anything specific that you might be interested in, then let me know.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeah, if the episode was actually to look good they wouldn't have corrected, they would have redone cuts from scratch.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Ajay wrote:Alright, my copy of the Super Blu-ray arrived, so I can give you a quick rundown of what I think about Episode 5's improvements in motion. I'll throw up a comparison video later so you can all judge for yourselves.

Unsurprisingly, the fixed up frames don't really improve the first half of the episode to any mindblowing degree. It's essentially shifted from horribly drawn, off-model, and badly animated to mostly on-model, solid drawings, but horrible animation. Really, if you didn't like the storyboarding in the first place, you're not likely to have a change of heart over prettier characters. Note that there don't appear to be any corrections outside of added highlights pre-Super Saiyan transformation, so Goku still looks very awkward, especially when he's doing his leg stretches.

Part 2 is where the corrections really shine. The second half was really nicely storyboarded and actually had some solid animation pre-corrections, so this shouldn't be a huge surprise. The added detail to Goku throughout the fight really helps bring things up a notch. I can't imagine too many people will have much to say here. It's an improvement to something that wasn't totally terrible in the first place.

I guess the TL;DR of it all is: if you expected these corrections to turn the episode around entirely, you will be sorely disappointed. They would have had to have reanimated the entire first portion of the episode, and they simply don't have the time or resources to do so. If you weren't too bothered about the poor choreography, but the horrendous keys were throwing you out of the episode, then this should be a decent enough upgrade. Not perfect. Decent.

I'll be looking through the rest of the episodes anyway, but if there's anything specific that you might be interested in, then let me know.
How does episode 11 look?. It looked good to begin with I know,but is there any difference in art there or is it the same?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 pm

batistabus wrote:I mean, it's nice that they touched up the animation at all, but that still doesn't fix the fact that it was one of the dumbest fights in anime history. Goku is supposed to be this experienced, refined fighter, but he just wildly punches at the ground a bunch of times? I get that he misses because Beerus is too fast, but c'mon.
It was worse in the movie though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Probably a silly question, but is there blood or less censoring in the Blu-ray releases?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Have they fixed the whole Kamehamehadoukens that have been shown a few times like in episode 10? Really weird seeing the blast being fired as a sphere.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:03 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Have they fixed the whole Kamehamehadoukens that have been shown a few times like in episode 10? Really weird seeing the blast being fired as a sphere.
I think the Kamehamehadoukens were intentional and I doubt Toei are gonna change them.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:36 pm

That was an artistic choice. there's no need to "fix" it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Alright, here's a quick comparison video I threw together. From editing this, it seems there's roughly less than two minutes worth of corrections made to the episode. I'll check the other episodes tomorrow as it's pretty late here.

Enjoy! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKF_uU6poNM
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Ajay wrote:Alright, here's a quick comparison video I threw together. From editing this, it seems there's roughly less than two minutes worth of corrections made to the episode. I'll check the other episodes tomorrow as it's pretty late here.

The fight choreography is still nothing that great, but the animation touch ups certainly make the fight as a whole much easier on the eyes, especially for the SSJ1/2 portion of the battle.

The SSJ3 portion of the battle, on the other hand, looks way better than what we got in the original broadcast.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 pm

-About the big news coming-

I can't stop thinking its gonna be new information about Universe 6 arc.
Judging by last manga chapter, the tournament kicks off this month. So we gonna see some new characters soon.

Personally my top 3 wishes would be:
1) Universe 6 arc characters reveal and official confirmation that U6 is not the last arc for Super.
2) Dragon Ball (pre-z) Kai .
3) New Movie.
Ajay wrote:Alright, here's a quick comparison video I threw together. From editing this, it seems there's roughly less than two minutes worth of corrections made to the episode. I'll check the other episodes tomorrow as it's pretty late here.

BD version looks ok to me. Thanks for making this.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Re: Uni 6

I just want to know if there is a Uni 6 Gokû and Vegeta and if so what are they like. :3

Many thanks! I'm happy Tate went back to fix this for the home release. It does look better.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 pm

One Piece surrendering the December slot after having two very successful film debuts makes me wonder if this is a calculated attempt by the production committee members to give the next Dragon Ball film the same level of prestige? Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F and the prior film have done very well, especially abroad. With a new television series currently airing and Dragon Ball Heroes being hugely successful it would make sense to try and capitalize on that with a new film.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote:One Piece surrendering the December slot after having two very successful film debuts makes me wonder if this is a calculated attempt by the production committee members to give the next Dragon Ball film the same level of prestige? Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F and the prior film have done very well, especially abroad. With a new television series currently airing and Dragon Ball Heroes being hugely successful it would make sense to try and capitalize on that with a new film.

I hadn't even thought about that for why OP's next movie isn't going to be a December one. That'd be cool if we get a higher quality animated/directed movie the next time we hopefully get a 3rd new DB movie.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!