Will the Super English Dub use the Blu Ray/DVD edits?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Will the Super English Dub use the Blu Ray/DVD edits?

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:26 pm

(I apologize in advance if there is already a discussion going on for this, let me know if there is).
Since we know that Toei has touched up Dragon Ball Super for the Japanese home releases, do you think Funimation will use the edited version when the dub hits U.S. television? Should they? In my opinion, Toei would be crazy to allow episode 5 to hit foreign markets as it originally was. I don't know the processes that it would require, but given the already (general) negative reception of the new art style, I think it would be in everyone's best interest to use the edits in foreign language dubs.

Ajay

Re: Will the Super English Dub use the Blu Ray/DVD edits?

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:32 pm

Yes, this is pretty much the standard procedure.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Ajay wrote:Yes, this is pretty much the standard procedure.
Ah, thanks Ajay. I kind of figured. Like I said, I'm not entirely familiar with the process.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Pretty much. Funimation's fanservicy shows use the blu ray/dvd versions and Super likely will too.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:34 pm

I seriously hope that they use the edited version for the funimation dub!!!
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I believe it should be the case. Any edits the Super gets on the DVD/Blu-Ray release should be used for the eventual English Dub.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 pm

There's almost no doubt that it'll be the corrected version that licensors get, yeah. I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the process either, but I can't imagine Toei will even ever use the old version again themselves either - they'll either be tossed or just kept in a vault (so to speak) somewhere, right?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 pm

It would be great if the blu-ray/DVD releases have blood, I understand for TV they are censoring blood but usually most of the fans who buy blu-rays are older fans...
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

SaiyanKingMike

Post by SaiyanKingMike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:16 pm

Ssgvegito30 wrote:It would be great if the blu-ray/DVD releases have blood, I understand for TV they are censoring blood but usually most of the fans who buy blu-rays are older fans...
Same here, I hope they release a uncut version for older to purchase or watch on Toonami on adult swim(since they do show the uncut Kai) where they show blood. Gotta say it was weird to see Gohan get a Ki blast through him and see no blood lol but i completely understand its on the sunday morning cartoon block for kids.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:21 pm

SaiyanKingMike wrote:
Ssgvegito30 wrote:It would be great if the blu-ray/DVD releases have blood, I understand for TV they are censoring blood but usually most of the fans who buy blu-rays are older fans...
Same here, I hope they release a uncut version for older to purchase or watch on Toonami on adult swim(since they do show the uncut Kai) where they show blood. Gotta say it was weird to see Gohan get a Ki blast through him and see no blood lol but i completely understand its on the sunday morning cartoon block for kids.
I don't see a TV deal for toonami because it airs on saturday nights, most of the older audiences are out dating etc..., it be better for toonami if they change the time slot on Saturday afternoon

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:51 am

Ssgvegito30 wrote:I don't see a TV deal for toonami because it airs on saturday nights, most of the older audiences are out dating etc..., it be better for toonami if they change the time slot on Saturday afternoon
A TV deal is guaranteed to be on Toonami giving how anime on US TV is almost nonexistent outside of Toonami, not to mention how close both Toonami and Funimation are to each other. Also Toonami is apart of Adult Swim which is a completely different brand from Cartoon Network so a afternoon time would never happen and quite franky it doesn't need to, for being a latenight block Toonami is doing well ratings wise and a Super dub would bring in even more views.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:39 am

Honestly, it'd be kind of nice if we could have both - an uncut airing on Toonami, and an edited airing at some point in the day on Cartoon Network (or Nicktoons, or something). An airing that's more accessible to kids, to help bring in newer fans, would hardly be a bad thing. I unfortunately don't see it happening though - it'll likely be on Toonami alone.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:06 am

Super isn't censored. You cannot censor something where there was nothing to censor in the first place. It's not even a case of them not being able to include blood due to restrictions; the blood in the Z flashbacks and in One Piece that airs half an hour later should tell you that much. The staff have simply decided to not include it for whatever reason. If there were any censorship, it would have been uncut on the Blu-ray. There is no blood on the Blu-ray.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Ajay wrote:Super isn't censored. You cannot censor something where there was nothing to censor in the first place. It's not even a case of them not being able to include blood due to restrictions; the blood in the Z flashbacks and in One Piece that airs half an hour later should tell you that much. The staff have simply decided to not include it for whatever reason. If there were any censorship, it would have been uncut on the Blu-ray. There is no blood on the Blu-ray.
I hope people will understand this already and stop with the "home releases will be uncut" bs...