"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

People are jumping the gun on this Monaca dude. If his simply is simple and ugly then it's likely intended to be that way for future use.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Tsufuru wrote:If toriyama thought he should look strong than he would have made him strong looking.
it's not like he cant.
We know he chose to make him look the way he does but we're worried about the reason for it, Is it because he has another strong looking form that he uses during his fights and he wants it to be a surprise ? If that's the case then I'm happy he looks like this cause that means there are more surprises coming our way.

Or is it because he thinks it'll be funny to have a stupid character be so strong ? I get he's a gag writer but this isn't supposed to be a parody of the franchise so if this is his only look then he should've let someone else handle the designs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:42 pm

We're aware that Toriyama designed him like that on purpose, it's his go to trope now and it's completely played out. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with playing it straight every once in awhile.

If Purple Piccolo/Cell guy had been the mystery character, I'd have been perfectly happy. Hell, I'd have even taken that bear guy if he was wanting to attempt a gag. But a tiny frog in a leotard that's apparently really, really cold is just an awful choice of design.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Even though they gave an explanation for what Monaka means in an alien language, I'm still wondering if there's some pun or word-play going on. After all, practically every character in the series is named for something, so it'd be a bit weird to have someone who truly has a random name.

I was looking up variations of scrambling up mo, na, and ka to see if it could be a mixed up Japanese word. The best bet I found was the Japanese word "nagamochi", which means a large, oblong chest. Only the weird nipples make me think it could be based on this word, though. But adding/removing syllables and/or tenten are within the realm of previous names we've seen, so...maybe?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:30 pm

I was expecting someone like Not!Cell to be Uni 7's 5th member.

Going to the same trope-well only works so many times. Monaca really feels like Toriyama is pushing his luck.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm

I find it cool that we have a origin story for the Dragon Balls. For years, I always wanted to know more of the history behind them. I do want to see the design for Zarama. I wonder if he will have a humanoid dragon design or not.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Honestly, I was half expecting the mystery guy to look silly , so that wasn't so much the surprise. But the actual design? It just doesn't look good, and the nipple joke just isn't funny to me.

Also, regarding the simplistic design debate. They feel out of place. Not because of the silliness, but because they look so ... empty of detail? The bear guy as well. You have all these complex character designs with outfits, skin patterns, funky hair styles and horns, and then come these things made up of two or three geometrical figures with arms and legs.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Bullza wrote:People are jumping the gun on this Monaca dude. If his simply is simple and ugly then it's likely intended to be that way for future use.
Cause it looks stupid i mean i understand its toriyama thing but even then it just feels lazy and too predictable

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Chuquita wrote:I was expecting someone like Not!Cell to be Uni 7's 5th member.

Going to the same trope-well only works so many times. Monaca really feels like Toriyama is pushing his luck.
Yup. How many times can he pull "hohoho look at the strongest guy having big nipples, isn't that hilarious? I'm sucha troll hue hue" before majority of the fanbase gets tired of it?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:54 pm

Given Toriyama has been doing this for thirty years he'll likely keep doing it for another thirty.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Even though they gave an explanation for what Monaka means in an alien language, I'm still wondering if there's some pun or word-play going on. After all, practically every character in the series is named for something, so it'd be a bit weird to have someone who truly has a random name.

I was looking up variations of scrambling up mo, na, and ka to see if it could be a mixed up Japanese word. The best bet I found was the Japanese word "nagamochi", which means a large, oblong chest. Only the weird nipples make me think it could be based on this word, though. But adding/removing syllables and/or tenten are within the realm of previous names we've seen, so...maybe?
Herms tweeted that he thinks the pun is on Monaka. There's a wikipedia page for it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Zenkashuu wrote:I just saw new characters' designs and I'm impressed at how bad they were! Toriyama just.. jeez.
You didn't like the purple looking guy? He seems to have the most popular out of the five U6 fighters.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the saiyan. I like his design, he has different eyes, not the standard "eyes fused with eyebrows" look of every other saiyan when they are serious. More like the Androids' eyes. I like that. :D

I think the characters look quite interesting in the cover art (or whatever the color montage is), but not so much in the b&w manga -- I wonder if that is partly lazy shading on toyotaro's part: in color, they look more fleshed out, less like 2-shapes put together.

We'll see! I'm so glad we don't have any direct "mirror characters" -- based on what we have learned that the universe histories are quite different, that would have been such a stretch.

Of course, I'm disappointed at the lack of ladies, but I'm sort of resigned at this point... :problem:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:01 pm

irreality wrote:
I think the characters look quite interesting in the cover art (or whatever the color montage is), but not so much in the b&w manga -- I wonder if that is partly lazy shading on toyotaro's part: in color, they look more fleshed out, less like 2-shapes put together.

I think so too. I like how he looks on the cover,yeems like the arrogant and bored kindm which is unexpected for a saiyan. But I'll have to see more of him to see if I like the eyes or not , seem a little creepy too.

I guess I'm also in the minority here with blue Freeza. I kinda like him too.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Well boohoo I didn't get my super awesome fifth character design. It's not like a whole different species of a character is interesting in anyway. Who the hell needs that? I'd rather have my super awesomeCell or the legendary Super Saiyan God be the fifth character. Can't have the dude look lame because it doesn't suit my taste.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:03 pm

sintzu wrote:The majority of Toriyama's new designs don't have much effort in them so this isn't that surprising.

The new Ssj forms are recolors of the previous form.
Freeza's new form is a golden version of his 4th form.
Champa is a fat Beerus.
Vados is a femal Whis.
The new guy from Freeza's race looks like Freeza's 1st form.
The Saiyan looks like a short adult Gohan.
That's not being very fair. Super Saiyajin wasn't terribly original or had "effort", like you say, and Blue at least makes them skinny. Golden Freeza, while similar, is very different to his 4th form. Champa and Vados are twins/siblings to Beers/Whis. New-Freeza is supposed to look like that. Fighter-Gohan could be different, granted, but he/she looks good, so, meh.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
sintzu wrote:The majority of Toriyama's new designs don't have much effort in them so this isn't that surprising.

The new Ssj forms are recolors of the previous form.
Freeza's new form is a golden version of his 4th form.
Champa is a fat Beerus.
Vados is a femal Whis.
The new guy from Freeza's race looks like Freeza's 1st form.
The Saiyan looks like a short adult Gohan.
That's not being very fair. Super Saiyajin wasn't terribly original or had "effort", like you say, and Blue at least makes them skinny. Golden Freeza, while similar, is very different to his 4th form. Champa and Vados are twins/siblings to Beers/Whis. New-Freeza is supposed to look like that. Fighter-Gohan could be different, granted, but he/she looks good, so, meh.
Honestly the only thing that bugs me is the hair and the fact that he's a kid. Take away the hair and you have a character that looks nothing like Gohan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Basaku wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I was expecting someone like Not!Cell to be Uni 7's 5th member.

Yup. How many times can he pull "hohoho look at the strongest guy having big nipples, isn't that hilarious? I'm sucha troll hue hue" before majority of the fanbase gets tired of it?
You mean the same fanbase that got tired of Super Saiyans?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

When Beerus said the 5th would be the strongest he fought, I was rooting for a demon like Dabura/Mira. Monaca looks like one. It will be interesting to see if he tranforms.
I also asked for a female fighter, but I'm confused about that U6 Tsundere mini Gohan gender...

Kinda disappoited we have another Freeza race guy. I would accept him much better if ROF didn't happen. At least, I hope Toriyama does something interesting with him, because Freeza couldn't have been handled worse.

Goku said Freeza would make a good rival, if he wasn't so bad. I wonder if that will come full circle with that mini Gohan or Goku himself. Also it would be cool, if this guy has been training for years, unlike Freeza.

Not interested in the purple guy and Pooh. But the Robot gives me Chrono Trigger Vibes. Chrono made his debut as SSG Goku and now Robo joins the party (When will square make a remake of this?! They got a lot of hate this year at E3, by this fanbase)
Chuquita wrote: Going to the same trope-well only works so many times. Monaca really feels like Toriyama is pushing his luck.
What luck?! Most of the things Toriyama did since he came back, got a lot of hate from the same people that have been begging for his return, all this years.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:44 pm

My top list of team champa:

5:Badass Pooh
4:Not!Gohan/AndroidArcYamcha
3:Not!RoboFromChronoTrigger
2:Not!Frieza
1:Purple Meruem

But seriously, Toriyama has used the same damn hair 3 times now!. With Yamcha, Gohan and now the Not!Gohan character. Other than that, all the characters are fine to me except Badass Pooh, I hate him. Oh and Mega Tits the mighty and powerful.
Last edited by Black_Liger on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.