Social Media: Attacking Staff, Hypocritical Opinions, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: Social Media: Attacking Staff, Hypocritical Opinions, et

Post by ParkerAL » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:07 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I just came here to say that despite the nastiness, one good thing about this crazy fanbase is that it ain't like the Steven Universe fanbase, where they drove a female artist to commit suicide over something dumb. Juuust trying to lighten things up a bit due to so much reading in this thread
From what I've read, it was an attempted suicide. Still a terrible thing that happened, of course.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Mythros

Post by Mythros » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:22 pm

rereboy wrote:"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise" - Socrates
Precisely, which is why I noted that this kind of reaction extends as far back as Plato (the guy who recorded Socrates' words since Socrates didn't write them down himself). The most stark difference between previous generations and the Millennials is not a sudden shift away from altruism and our collective humanity but the technology available. We are living in Marshall McLuhan's 'global village', where connecting to anyone anywhere is easier than ever before. It's not that older generations didn't, and don't, have the capability to be nasty, it's that the technology exists to reduce whatever filters came along with older media. If Twitter were given to the world of the '20s or '30s we might suppose the children growing up then would be just as capable of generating the reciprocal hatred on social media today. Conversely, many of the users posting barbed comments from the younger generation today would be less likely to do so if they had to tell it to the object of their vitriol in person, face-to-face.
"The New Year's come, the watchmen shout/the thaw sets in, the dead remain/whatever life has not dies out/staggers to its feet again"
from Mother Courage (Bertolt Brecht, 1939)

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:I just came here to say that despite the nastiness, one good thing about this crazy fanbase is that it ain't like the Steven Universe fanbase, where they drove a female artist to commit suicide over something dumb. Juuust trying to lighten things up a bit due to so much reading in this thread
From what I've read, it was an attempted suicide. Still a terrible thing that happened, of course.
Sometimes fanbases take things like fan art with that instant a bit too far
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
I'm reading articles about it now, she was in the hospital for three days after her attempted suicide.

I've read about people being bullied into suicide before, but this is the first one I've heard of where it was over a fandom.

I don't know which of these sites is the best to link to though article-wise, none of them are places I normally visit.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:53 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
Shit, yeah I messed up. It was an attempted one. I can't think straight. Again, I HOPE this fanbase doesn't turn into that, otherwise I'm leaving this fanbase for good. Despite the amount or craziness and bias this fanbase has, this is one of the few I actually still respect.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:
Sometimes fanbases take things like fan art with that instant a bit too far
Not even Sonic fan art has reach the level of Steven Universe. Steven Universe, Sonic, MLP and Five Nights at Freddy's put DBZ fandom to shame.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Are there themes those 4 franchises share that create these circumstances? I see the parallels between SU and MLP, but what do they share with Sonic and Five Nights at Freddy's? Or are there no parallels and the chances of a series gaining a more extreme kind of fanbase is a complete roll of the dice?

The first 2 are very message themed. I guess with the first 3 they're worlds where it's easy to create an OC. But the last one from what I saw in the TFS Let's Play is just a survival horror game where you just see how long you can last; maybe there's something about Freddy's that I don't know.

I don't follow any of those fanbases so I'm going purely off of what I've seen pop up on twitter and such.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:18 pm

The SJWs just pissed me off with what they did to zamii070 especially with how they were making a bunch of hate blogs and comments over FAN ART.

she makes Rose Quartz 11 lbs lighter,they complain she's white washing and "fat phobic"
she cosplayed as a "problematic" character, they complain
she uses stereotypes in her art, she's a racist.
WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM HER?!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:18 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I just came here to say that despite the nastiness, one good thing about this crazy fanbase is that it ain't like the Steven Universe fanbase, where they drove a female artist to commit suicide over something dumb. Juuust trying to lighten things up a bit due to so much reading in this thread.

Social media.... thank GOD I deactivated my Twitter and don't check fan pages on Facebook and Instagram. And Tumblr, shit, it brings out people's true colors.
Samething is happening with TTG expect they doing on purpose because they hate the show.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Not even Sonic fan art has reach the level of Steven Universe. Steven Universe, Sonic, MLP and Five Nights at Freddy's put DBZ fandom to shame.
I hate most of this fanbase, but this kinda makes me feel a little better.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote: Not even Sonic fan art has reach the level of Steven Universe. Steven Universe, Sonic, MLP and Five Nights at Freddy's put DBZ fandom to shame.
I hate most of this fanbase, but this kinda makes me feel a little better.
Welcome to my world sometimes with our fanbase i think why bother it gets me no where
PSN SonGoku325

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:08 am

yeah i gotta agree with you, I'm just glad we havent stooped down so low yet.
Ps: Happy Birthday!

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Ree wrote:yeah i gotta agree with you, I'm just glad we havent stooped down so low yet.
Ps: Happy Birthday!
Ah gee thanks :D
PSN SonGoku325

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I just came here to say that despite the nastiness, one good thing about this crazy fanbase is that it ain't like the Steven Universe fanbase, where they drove a female artist to commit suicide over something dumb. Juuust trying to lighten things up a bit due to so much reading in this thread.
That...didn't light things up for me. That's actually really depressing to hear.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
That...didn't light things up for me. That's actually really depressing to hear.

Assuming you're referring to Zamii; If it makes you feel any better, it was only attempted suicide and she's alive and well right now. Still a little bittersweet though and it doesn't make the SU fandom not terrible (As is the case with most Tumblr fandoms).
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Am I the only one a bit disturbed by the "It was just attempted suicide! She didnt do it! :D". Its already past unforgiveable that they pushed her to that point. I'm not saying that about the SU fanbase, but GOD.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm

One thing that really irritates me is when people on social media tear you apart for not liking something they do or liking something they don't. It can be just one thing and they blast your entire taste in films, TV, music, etc. I know this is minor, but they make things personal. I said I don't like Fury Road and holy crap do people come out of the woodwork to insult my entire taste in movies. It didn't matter what other films I consider in my top ten, the fangs came out. Why do things have to get so personal especially over things that aren't that consequential? I get it, art is very personal, but the kneejerk reaction to resort to attacking people over something so varied and subjective is over the line.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:15 am

Kid Buu wrote:
Yeah it is, but I assume you knew that I was only talking about the fanbase not stooping to THAT level, which is a good thing.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:36 pm

ABED wrote:Why do things have to get so personal especially over things that aren't that consequential? I get it, art is very personal, but the kneejerk reaction to resort to attacking people over something so varied and subjective is over the line.
Because there's a total lack of respect for human life on the internet. They don't care about anyone but themselves. It's not just TV, music, video games or movies, either; just look at how people discuss religion and politics online. It's absolutely disgusting. I'm obviously not talking about everyone, by the way. There are plenty of people online that are very kind, and respect the opinions and beliefs of others (including most of the users on this website). It's just not the majority...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Am I the only one a bit disturbed by the "It was just attempted suicide! She didnt do it! :D". Its already past unforgiveable that they pushed her to that point. I'm not saying that about the SU fanbase, but GOD.
no i agree, and worse than that people have the nerve to say "SHE FAKED IT" :sick:
they dont want to take responsibility for cyberbullying