900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:10 pm

I've put off buying any DBZ DVDs for the longest time, because of the low episode count. However, I'm now seriously considering importing the Dragon Box singles. What's the cheapest place to buy them from?

Also, couldn't you take the subtitles and/or audio from these sets and burn them again, but with Dragon Box video? If you legally purchased both sets, I couldn't see a problem with it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:47 pm

ect5150 wrote:
DBW wrote:
godofchaos wrote:...yeah...I'm not sure posting this in 2 different threads is necessary to make me notice
Sorry, wasn't sure if you saw it or not.

Also, if I may, I'll just dive right in...
By expanding the horizontal axis beyond the intended limit, they've now exposed what seems to be the edge of one of the layers of cel on the left (the faint line running vertically on the left hand side).
Here is the corresponding Dragon Box shot from ep 34 or so...

Lies! That is from a Dragonbox RIP, with altered colors!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Wow, looks like I'm not waisting my money on this pile. Thanks for the heads up GOC.

MysticGohan

Post by MysticGohan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:58 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Wow, looks like I'm not waisting my money on this pile. Thanks for the heads up GOC.
Good, maybe now you can use that money to buy a dictionary...
No, I'm going to kill you.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:04 pm

G1Ravage wrote:Well...damn. So the packaging is shoddy, the cropping is horrible, we don't get the previews, and the credits are wrong.
Wait, no previews?!

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Wow, I never noticed such a huge color discrepancy until now.

I could stomach the "widescreen" format when it's just a few screenshots, but when it's the entire animated episode, it just appears too "weird" to be worth it. I'd rather have it somewhat lower quality but have everything there.

I always thought having the English voices with the Japanese music would be kind of weird, too. They're not really designed to go with each other.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Just watched the first episode on my set, have to say that in actual motion I'm not bothered as much by it as I thought I would be. However I'd still rather have the video quality from the original R1 releases in 4:3.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:20 pm

It's ridiculous how Funimation has gone to such great lengths to provide us with "uncut" DBZ and then to go ahead and release this. I don't want to call it censorship but this isn't anywhere close to uncut.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 pm

You know what I don't get? Why is it taking them so many tries to even get closer to getting it right? Do you know how many times they had to "rerelease" their other dubs, or remake them? None. They got it right the first time. So I'm not sure why they can't get DBZ right the 50th time.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 pm

mAcChaos wrote:I always thought having the English voices with the Japanese music would be kind of weird, too. They're not really designed to go with each other.
But by that logic, it wouldn't've worked with Dragonball :/

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:43 pm

It would nice to here a audio sample if possible, but anyways good job on the screen shots. I'm glad to see that they have done a good job on the remastering, it actually looks like it was made for DVD not VHS this time, picture quality wise. Hopefully it wont artifact to death like the cell games dvds.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:03 pm

This looks better than I thought it would. I'll probably be picking it up.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 pm

I hate people who can't drive. We had some snow flurries and idiots in their SUV's almost plowed into me several times.

"Oh no! Snow! Must shit self and lose all ability to operate a vehicle!"

...hm? Oh, yeah. The point.

I went out at lunch and checked a couple of local retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, FYE) within 5 minutes of my work to no avail. Stock isn't in the stores at all in my area (Northern Virginia). I'll try again next week, if people still want me to do the technical breakdown and such.

-Corey

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm all for that. The podcast episode says you obviously know what you're talking about :P

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:45 pm

sangofe wrote:Lies! That is from a Dragonbox RIP, with altered colors!
Not hardly... and don't make me prove it.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Katalyst wrote:Wow, thats hilarious. Send that to funimation. :lol:
You mean the 'Reverse Widescreen' bit? They've seen it. FuniRepBlue emailed me and told me she showed it to the Brand Manager and they got a laugh, even asked (jokingly I'm sure) if I wanted a job in marketing.

-Corey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Cancelled.

My $20 + Shipping (about $28 total) has better ways of being spent.

If they don't have the balls to put a Widescreenshot on the freakin' box that's about as false as the advertising can get for me.

Hell, in the shot where Vegeta hits Gohan from above there's still dirt on the frame! Remastered, my ass.

The took a shortcut with the glue and then did nothing else to clean it up by the looks of it. If they want to give me a cheap season set with awesome audio then they'll need to release it in 4:3 without any cleanup before I touch it. I mean, it 's not like they actually cleaned up their "remastered edition", anyway.

Yeah, I know the shots so far were shots specifically made to show the flaws, but even the ones where I said "it's not that bad" still don't look right to me.

Fuck this shit. My money will not be convincing FUNi that this is a good thing.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiyan Combat
Banned

Post by Saiyan Combat » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:45 pm

ect5150 wrote:Interesting comparison:

We've always known the colors were different on FUNIs masters, but this is way off, even if you had WinDVD alter the colors just a bit for your display. Also, whats that ... dirt to the lower-right of Vegeta's foot on FUNIs version? Didn't they remaster it "frame-by-frame" ?!?!?!
i really dont like the remastering ,

everything that is dark, has been made too dark.

and everything light has been made too light.

his face is like, blank white. and, u cant even see shade any more, its just black.

you cant even see the grey shade on vegetas boots and gloves, they are just bright white.

weird thing is, some colours look corrected, we dont have a turqoise (or how ever you spell that) colour sky any more. its natural blue. same with the clouds being white.

but, there is a problem in that remaster.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:56 pm

Saiyan Combat wrote:weird thing is, some colours look corrected, we dont have a turqoise (or how ever you spell that) colour sky any more. its natural blue. same with the clouds being white.
The sun is setting during this episode, so that's why the original sky color is more greenish. It's not supposed to be a bright blue sky.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Saiyan Combat
Banned

Post by Saiyan Combat » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

DBW wrote:
Saiyan Combat wrote:weird thing is, some colours look corrected, we dont have a turqoise (or how ever you spell that) colour sky any more. its natural blue. same with the clouds being white.
The sun is setting during this episode, so that's why the original sky color is more greenish. It's not supposed to be a bright blue sky.
havent seen the saga for a while, well, i guess it proves my point about everything being to bright