Worst point in the series ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Worst point in the series ?

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I can't believe I forgot about this.
You don't know how lucky you are.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
Yeah, I can't believe people are pointing to most of the Cell Saga over those horrific episodes... but then again that's the Kanzenshuu community for ya. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:42 pm

The Android stuff like Future Trunks is full of plot holes
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:36 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Yeah, I can't believe people are pointing to most of the Cell Saga over those horrific episodes... but then again that's the Kanzenshuu community for ya. :P
For me at least, the first 15 (excluding episode 1 and 2) are easily skipble but with those islands a lot stuff happens, so if you skip ahead you're gonna be left in the dark.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

rey2187

Post by rey2187 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I'll agree with everyone who said the fight between Vegeta/Trunks and Cell. It's a bore because we know Cell will reach his perfect form and defeat Vegeta so we're just left waiting around for it to happen. I also think the fight between Gotenks and Boo inside the room of spirit and time tends to really drag on and on, though it's not as bad in the manga.

Marjo

Post by Marjo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Male boy frontal nudity, Gohan peeing scenes, the rebellious orphan segment, Gohan Krillin & Bulma meeting the space orphan group, & yes, that Fake namek segment was also cringeworthy as well.
Vegito

Veg from Vegeta + I from Bejita & O from Goku

just that simple weeaboos.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:36 am

The Namek arc in the anime is always the worst part for me to rewatch. Every bit of it drags on, whilst being sparsely spiced up by actual interesting plot details. It starts off with some boring filler. The interesting three-way struggle for the Dragon Balls is interesting conceptually, but it always puts me to sleep. Shit gets real when the Ginyus show up, but once Goku and Ginyu switch bodies, it drags on like crazy. And, of course, the already mentioned "5 minutes on Namek". Might as well lump in the Garlic Jr. into that stretch as well, since it immediately follows this slog, and keeps things dreadfully dull.

Current runners up for me:
- the Grade II Super Saiyans fighting 2nd form Cell
- the literally epic (and not in a necessarily good way) fight spanning SSj3 Gotenks to the innards of Buu
- Super's first two arcs
- GT's first stretch after they launch into space, and the Super 17 arc

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:41 am

As far as the anime goes, I would say most of the filler and it's effect on the pacing in general. Anytime two characters just stare at each other for extended periods of time is embarrassing.

As for the manga/Toriyama-written portion, I always think of the end of the fight with Cell when Goku uses instant transmission to transport the about-to-self-destruct Semi-Perfect Cell to Kaio Sama's planet, and then once that happens and Cell destructs, SURPRISE! Cell doesn't die. And he's back to his complete form. And he's back on Earth.
"But how in the world is this possible!?" everyone asks.
CELL: "Oh, because of, uh, a core or something in my head that allows me to completely regenerate if it isn't destroyed, which it wasn't, so, you know... Phew!"
EVERYONE: "But how did you get here if you exploded on Kaio's planet?"
CELL: "Well I know instant transmission now! Because... I... saw Goku use it?" *shrug* "Anyway, I'm stronger now, too, because Saiyan Cells! Woo-hoo!"
EVERYONE: "Okay... but why did you regenerate to your complete form even though you no longer have #18?"
CELL: "I don't know, I guess I just don't need her anymore!"
EVERYONE: "You don't need her anymore? How come?"
CELL: "Because... I... uh... TOO MANY QUESTIONS! DIE, TRUNKS!"

Lazy writing, in my opinion. Granted, this does lead up to one of the most iconic events in the series, but I feel like we could have arrived at that moment in a different, at least somewhat believable way.

Also, I am 100% of the belief that Goku had plenty of time to zip over to the about-to-explode Cell, transport him to Kaio's planet, grab Kaio, and transport back without dying. I believe, in any other instance, Goku would have done just that, but instead Toriyama had to find a way to quickly get rid of him for that final Kamehameha.
Draconic wrote:In Dragon Ball, the Pirate Cave and the Wedding Dress portions are a chore to get trough. Especially the Wedding Dress, as it happens between a great arc and nothing, as the series ends there, leading it to fall flat on it's face.
The Wedding Dress arc is 100% filler, so you can actually skip it completely and you won't miss a beat.

A lot of people are mentioning the pirate cave during the Red Ribbon arc and I urge you to seek out the manga for that portion. The Red Ribbon arc is the first time where the anime really started to pile on the filler, and the entire arc suffers greatly for it. It's a different, much more enjoyable experience in the manga, for my money.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:54 am

Cells exploded the instant Goku arrived at Kaios.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Cells exploded the instant Goku arrived at Kaios.
No, he didn't. Goku still had time to turn to Kaio-sama and say "S-sorry, Kaio-sama. This was the only place I could go" before Cell actually exploded, during which time someone of Goku's speed would have been easily able to grab Kaio-sama, who was right there, and instant transmission back to safety. This is on top of the lengthy goodbye he had already given to his friends and Gohan back on Earth. You can call it comic book logic or whatever, but it still frustrates me.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:08 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
No, he didn't. Goku still had time to turn to Kaio-sama and say "S-sorry, Kaio-sama. This was the only place I could go" before Cell actually exploded, during which time someone of Goku's speed would have been easily able to grab Kaio-sama, who was right there, and instant transmission back to safety. This is on top of the lengthy goodbye he had already given to his friends and Gohan back on Earth. You can call it comic book logic or whatever, but it still frustrates me.
But in Dragon ball, everything is slowed for you
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:49 pm

most of pre z DB if we're talking canon
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 pm

There's still interesting Trunks/Vegeta stuff happening in the island portion of the Cell arc.

After Cell absorbs #18, though? That through the end of the arc is the only portion of the series that bores me in both the manga and anime.

Z's Namek arc is fucking impossible, though it's great in the manga and enjoyable in Kai, and large stretches of Super's first two arcs are inexcusably bad, though I like the material in the original movies.

Re: Pirate cave in the Red Ribbon Army arc: It's quite fun in the manga. It receives some of the anime's worst padding, though.
sintzu wrote:Dragon Ball Gt's 1st 15 episodes.
Never gotten the hate for these. They run a little on the boring side, but the atmosphere is so good, I don't care.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 pm

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say the Resurrection F arc of Super because man, what a fucking mess of an arc that was. Wasted potential with what little new material they added to it, 1 to 1 one storytelling with the movie, terrible fight choreography on its own AND when compared to the movie and then top it off with some of the absolute WORST animation in Dragon Ball anything and then you have a recipe for an absolutely unwatachable arc of Dragon Ball that doesn't even compare to its superior movie counterpart. Even with some of Dragon Ball's top animation directors working on the arc like Tate and others, it just ended up looking like utter trash especially with Tate's animations sacrificing detail and character design for what little fluidity he can give which looked ugly the billions of times he did it in One Piece and it looked ugly here as well.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:12 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
He do not do this because he was willing to sacrifice himself, dying, from the beginning. For the same reason, he decided not to be resuscitated. Certain actions, from the reader's point of view, seem stupid, but should be analyzed from the point of view of the character.

Even Vegeta allowing Cell to become perfect, from his point of view, it was not such a stupid move, indeed was perfectly in character.

However, in the manga there is nothing that bored me. The pace is fitting with no deadlock.

There are two points, however objectively confusing, as Cell final regeneration , at all the initial part of the Buu saga, with Babidi. In the anime boring moments are countless.
At the end, my choose fall again to the first two arcs of Super.
Last edited by Gorou on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:15 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I'm going to be perfectly honest and say the Resurrection F arc of Super because man, what a fucking mess of an arc that was. Wasted potential with what little new material they added to it.
If this topic was about the most wasted potential in the franchise then Freeza coming back would easily make it into the top 3 cause there's so much they could've done but instead he was just a training exercise for Goku & Vegeta.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:06 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:most of pre z DB if we're talking canon
What? How? Why?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
What? How? Why?
Yeah, I'd certainly also love to hear the explanation for that opinion, too.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 pm

This statement requieres an indepth explanation.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 am

Most of the filler in Dragon Ball.