Rounder style vs Angular, sharp style

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Rounder style vs Angular, sharp style

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:03 pm

During the course of the Dragon Ball franchise we've seen many different animators and artists with many different styles. Some go for a rounder look to the characters while others go for a more sharp style to the characters. I wanted to create this thread so we can discuss which one did you like the most. Please give your opinions and thoughts on why you like them. :D

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Rounder style vs Angular, sharp style

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I prefer the rounder style (I'm talking about the manga). I associate it with the first part of the series, which had better art IMO. The more angular the art was (the latter part of the manga, mostly), the more rushed it feels to me.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Combine the two, honestly. Nakatsuru and Shida both use a mix of round and angular styles to create really dynamic looking character designs.

Nakatsuru:
Shida:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Manga: Rounder style
Anime: Angular, sharp style

Toriyama became increasingly lazy on the details after the Saiyan Saga but the anime thrived on his unique style and became more detailed in art as the series progressed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:14 pm

I just want the right portions of the series to look like they did in the manga, whenever they're animated. Flashbacks to early DB where Goku looks like Goten confuse and astound me. You will also occasionally see new artwork for the Red Ribbon characters, like Red or Black or White, and they never quite look right either.

... In fact, probably the best example the angular look completely overtaking the rounder one and just appearing wrong may not be Dragon Ball at all, but the '90s remake of Dr. Slump(completely ignoring Arale's redesign; can't believe anybody approved that).
Last edited by B on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:19 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Manga: Rounder style
Anime: Angular, sharp style

Toriyama became increasingly lazy on the details after the Saiyan Saga but the anime thrived on his unique style and became more detailed in art as the series progressed.
Same. I always felt that some animators understood his style, adapted to it easier, and made changes to it while for others it was harder to pick up. I think that's why we got some really round designs in the later arcs compared to the Saiyan Saga. The more Toriyamas style evolved, the more it got harder to keep up. Though some animators just decided to go ahead and do their own takes on the characters.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:22 pm

B wrote:I just want the right portions of the series to look like they did in the manga, whenever they're animated. Flashbacks to early DB where Goku looks like Goten confuse and astound me.
Didn't GT do that a lot? I know the new movies have some really terribly animated flashbacks. It really shows how some animators don't fit with the older scenes.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:42 pm

23rd TB arc - Freeza is the best looking in the manga.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:23rd TB arc - Freeza is the best looking in the manga.
The Freeza arc was really when Toriyama went all out with the characters and the art. In the anime though they had some really awkward art. They also had some good moments too. It was in this arc when people like Maeda and Shimanuki really began to shine.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:47 pm

I like it when animators just draws what makes them happy and they are good at it.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Rounder style: when story takes a humorous tone
Sharper style: when story takes a serious tone

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Rounder style: when story takes a humorous tone
Sharper style: when story takes a serious tone
Most of the time that seems to be the case. Maybe that's the reason why we don't see any of the older animators in Super.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:17 pm

I take the same viewpoint of Ajay on that I think it would be best to combine both styles.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Whatever style Tadayoshi Yammamuro, Masunaga Keisugi, Hizada Kazuya & Shimanuki Mashahiro adopted

In short, sharper & angular style. It really makes action sequences stand-out & gives this "rugged" & badass look you hardly come across in other styles. Except perhaps Tite Kubo's sharp artwork/style which gives an imposing look (but no use of beating a sorry carcass at this point)

Though, Mashahiro has this soft, over-arching & yes, rounded style that is the only "remnant" of heyday DragonBall days. I was literally craving for his artwork in Boo Arc after being bombarded with continuously computerized episodes (Ep269-286)

Manga: Whatever style Toriyama uses. I'm fine with it. His evolution as artists hits its peak during his transition from rounded, chibi-style (21st TB~23rd TB) into dangerously detailed & sophisticated (Saiyan~Jinzoningen Arc)

My 2 cents

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Ajay wrote:Combine the two, honestly. Nakatsuru and Shida both use a mix of round and angular styles to create really dynamic looking character designs.

Nakatsuru:
Shida:
Off topic question: What happened to Nakasturu?
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:55 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Off topic question: What happened to Nakaturu?
Whatcha mean? He's still around. He worked on Resurrection 'F' (the final Kamehameha) and episode 1 of Super.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Ajay wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:Off topic question: What happened to Nakaturu?
Whatcha mean? He's still around. He worked on Resurrection 'F' (the final Kamehameha) and episode 1 of Super.
Good :) I was afraid he was gone.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Nakatsuru simply stopped acting as an animation supervisor and character designer for the series. I hear he got sick of being associated with Toriyama's style, like when an actor is typecast.

I'd love to see Nishio Tetsuya and Yamashita Hiroyuki give Dragon Ball a shot. Nishio can use round shapes while also creating very realistically proportioned characters while Yamashita Hiroyuki can mix rectangular shapes with round shapes while also drawing clothing folds very gorgeously.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know