Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by rereboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Broli was quite literally made invincible
If he was "litterally" invincible, he could never lose. Obviouly that's not true.
and could only be stopped by rendering him unconscious via shock.
All that his LSSJ did for him was make him resistant to anything that didn't surpass his power. While other characters could get wore down after many attacks even if those attacks didn't surpass their power, Broly wouldn't. However, any character that surpasses Broly's power could knock him out and kill him with a big attack.

In other words, that doesn't matter at all if the opponent is stronger than Broly. It only provides Broly with an advantage over fighters who already are weaker than him or that have pretty much the same power.
Broli mid battle with Vegetto literally kept jumping in power at a massive scale to force SSJ3, when he wasn't even close to that before the battle. He got turned into some sort of immortal Hulk.
That's a Dragon Ball cliche: fighters starting to use more and more of their power as the battle rages on. Goku did it agaisnt Tenshinhan in the 22nd tournament and Vegetto also does it agaisnt Broly. Broly doing it doesn't really have to do with anything more than that.
Mewzard wrote: That's far worse than what we got with Freeza (who at least is far more believable to grow like that, given his comments *on top of almost always floating around in his chair and having his minions do his work* seemed to imply he almost never did any fighting and was that powerful; massive untapped potential for someone starting off that strong isn't that surprising).
The only reason you gave for Freeza to be better is because you think he should have more potential. But.. Broly also never trained that we saw and he was almost as strong as Cell just going by his movie.. So, if anything, he would seem to have even more potential.

All your criticisms seem to come from a biased perspective of Broly, honestly. If you try to think logically about the issue you would probably realize that what you said doesn't hold up.
Mewzard wrote: Multiverses don't have to be slight variations on a concept. While I don't mind using that for some, I'm far more interested in universes that differ by a decent amount. A seemingly benevolent member of Freeza's race running things? Saiyans as the protectors of the Universe rather than space pirates? The oh-so-important Earth destroyed off screen by petty fighting? It's almost some sort of opposite universe, and I find it interesting to learn more about it.
Those scenarios hardly need a multiverse. A Freeza race member running things benevolently? He could be doing that on a remote portion of the universe. Saiyans being good? Same thing, just have them be the descendants of saiyans who were sent away as children or saiyans that never invaded the planet that later was named Vegeta. And so on.
Noah wrote:
I don't have a problem with that, look at TFS: We wait roughly 2 or 3 months for a new episode in their DBZ Parody, and most people don't complain, since they always keep with the good quality. I wouldn't bother in wait a month for new pages of the main story.
That doesn't change the fact the specials are only there to stall for time. Ignore the specials if you want to, treat them as an hiatus.

Actually he got a good point, DBM nowadays is overshadowed by DBS (anime/manga), since 2013:
A fan manga is overshadowed by an official anime continuation of Dragon Ball? Well, of course. If it didn't it would be really strange.

How exactly people expect that to somehow reflect poorly on DBM?
Last edited by rereboy on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:16 am

Mewzard wrote:That's far worse than what we got with Freeza (who at least is far more believable to grow like that, given his comments *on top of almost always floating around in his chair and having his minions do his work* seemed to imply he almost never did any fighting and was that powerful; massive untapped potential for someone starting off that strong isn't that surprising).
I think this is what Toriyama meant when he said "only the original author can freely mess around with what’s already been established". This same exact concept would be considered ridiculous if it were done by Toei or a fanfic writer. That same explanation you gave for Freeza could apply to other characters. Broly was stronger than a FPSSJ without ever training before in his life so he was already many times stronger than Freeza in his first appearance. His power grew over the course of 20 years due to a freak mutation that will eventually kill him. Freeza out trained everyone and surpassed SSJ God and his only flaw was that he didn't spend the extra few months mastering his new form. Some fans think that's fine but if Toei decided to bring back Kooler, Bojack, or Broly and do the same exact thing then would they honestly react the same way? Fan writers have been bringing back former villains and giving them huge powerups for years but they were usually considered the laziest and worst ideas possible.
Multiverses don't have to be slight variations on a concept. While I don't mind using that for some, I'm far more interested in universes that differ by a decent amount. A seemingly benevolent member of Freeza's race running things? Saiyans as the protectors of the Universe rather than space pirates? The oh-so-important Earth destroyed off screen by petty fighting? It's almost some sort of opposite universe, and I find it interesting to learn more about it.
I think I would have to see more of U6 before I can make a decision. So far all we know is that the Saiyans and Frost Demons are the opposite of what we've seen in U7. What I like about DBM is that we can see different versions of past characters and events that weren't possible in the manga. I'm not a big fan of new transformations and felt that the manga had enough of them already so I liked that in DBM SSJ3 was kept as the final transformation. GT had a SSJ4 and almost every other fan sequel either continues on with more transformations or their own version of SSJ4. If Salagir wants to introduce a new transformation then that's fine but it's not really going to affect my enjoyment of the story.

So far I liked the Buu saga more than what we're getting in Super so I don't mind reading a story that kept Buu as the final villain. I know it's a shonen concept to keep retconning the strongest guy ever over and over again but I think we've had that enough in Dragonball. We had Vegeta calling himself the strongest in the universe, then Freeza, then Cell, and finally Buu. When you introduce someone that's been the strongest for the past several million years that even the highest gods and demons were defenseless against and give him almost every crazy ability imaginable then I think that's enough. I'm probably in the minority since after watching DBZ I never got into One Piece, Naruto, or any other long-running anime because I was afraid the same thing was going to keep happening over and over again. It's hard to explain the other reasons but overall I started enjoying DBM even more once I saw Super. I'm still trying to remain optimistic about the U6 saga but either way a fan can still enjoy both. You only need to dedicate 20 minutes for Super every week and only a few seconds to read the new DBM pages so it's not like you have to choose one of the other.
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:You can not me tell that Salagir does not hate Beerus when we he made that minicomic for him. And it was very childish to do that to a very good character.
Battle of Gods was released in March of 2013 while this mini-comic came out in December of 2015. I'm not sure if you're aware that within that time frame many fans have made the same exact joke. I don't know if you're ignoring that or if this mini-comic was really the first time you've ever witnessed this joke being made.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:58 am

One thing is looking very likely.. DB Super will finish its Multiverse tournament before DB Multiverse does and DBM had a 7 year headstart!
Such is the downside to a project like this, same with DBZ abrigded.. maybe it'll have a run time even longer, than the original Z series itself!

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:46 am

I'm really liking this opening page. Doubles as a reference to "Buu" being part of the "Bibidi, Babidi, Boo" name.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:51 am

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
I'm really liking this opening page. Doubles as a reference to "Buu" being part of the "Bibidi, Babidi, Boo" name.
The page was already posted here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1052150
But I guess it got ignored due to the debate and the fact it was inside a spoiler tag.
In any case I agree with your thoughts, I remember using to argue that the Buu arc had some inspiration from Disney's Aladdin that was released a good deal before the Buu arc and the clothes also seem inspired by it, specifically Majin Buu's clothes and Gotenks' clothes.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:52 am

dbgtFO wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:
The page was already posted here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1052150
But I guess it got ignored due to the debate and the fact it was inside a spoiler tag.
In any case I agree with your thoughts, I remember using to argue that the Buu arc had some inspiration from Disney's Aladdin that was released a good deal before the Buu arc and the clothes also seem inspired by it, specifically Majin Buu's clothes and Gotenks' clothes.
I apologize I was in bed sick all day yesterday so I didn't catch it.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 am

dbgtFO wrote:One thing is looking very likely.. DB Super will finish its Multiverse tournament before DB Multiverse does and DBM had a 7 year headstart!
Such is the downside to a project like this, same with DBZ abrigded.. maybe it'll have a run time even longer, than the original Z series itself!
more like before DBM even starts semifinals.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 am

So next is Gotenks vs Gast, if memory serves

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Tzigi wrote:Now, that makes me wonder if I have grown too old for the internet. I have literally never ever watched "a you tuber" (I only use YT to quickly access music I have forgotten to copy from some external drives) so I've got no idea about them.
I feel the same way. I don't really understand this "Youtuber" culture at all.

But I just wanted to speak up as another person who still keeps up with Multiverse, even though I rarely have anything to say about it. I never commented much before Super or BOG either. I probably do get more enjoyment from Super, but they're like apples and oranges to me.
-Rachel

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:16 pm

rereboy wrote:If he was "litterally" invincible, he could never lose. Obviouly that's not true.

All that his LSSJ did for him was make him resistant to anything that didn't surpass his power. While other characters could get wore down after many attacks even if those attacks didn't surpass their power, Broly wouldn't. However, any character that surpasses Broly's power could knock him out and kill him with a big attack.

In other words, that doesn't matter at all if the opponent is stronger than Broly. It only provides Broly with an advantage over fighters who already are weaker than him or that have pretty much the same power.

That's a Dragon Ball cliche: fighters starting to use more and more of their power as the battle rages on. Goku did it agaisnt Tenshinhan in the 22nd tournament and Vegetto also does it agaisnt Broly. Broly doing it doesn't really have to do with anything more than that.

The only reason you gave for Freeza to be better is because you think he should have more potential. But.. Broly also never trained that we saw and he was almost as strong as Cell just going by his movie.. So, if anything, he would seem to have even more potential.

All your criticisms seem to come from a biased perspective of Broly, honestly. If you try to think logically about the issue you would probably realize that what you said doesn't hold up.

Those scenarios hardly need a multiverse. A Freeza race member running things benevolently? He could be doing that on a remote portion of the universe. Saiyans being good? Same thing, just have them be the descendants of saiyans who were sent away as children or saiyans that never invaded the planet that later was named Vegeta. And so on.
To quote their own FAQ:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en ... #faqquests

"- In LSSJ, this Saiyan turns indestructible: attacks just don't hurt him. He can be pushed away, but not harmed.
- In LSSJ, the power of this Saiyan grows constantly.
- In LSSJ, this Saiyan won't get back to normal except in case a great shock."

He literally can't be hurt and constantly grows stronger. Unless you somehow render him unconscious, he can only be driven back. Even if you're stronger, he doesn't take damage. This is some heavy fanboy stuff.

So yeah, this quite a bit worse than what you argue against Freeza. This is a whole other plane of cheapness.

To quote again:

"Broly's "legendary" power causes his strength to be always increasing, as long as he is alive. Thus his power rises with each passing minute."

This isn't Dragon Ball's typical holding back just in case, for a challenging moment, or learning your full potential, he just forever grows more powerful, because Broli. It's just a cheap gimmick that makes an already uninteresting character seem like a Mary Sue-ish joke.

Broli's not growing because of potential, he's growing because his form (which functionally becomes a plot device) allows him to forever be more powerful as time passes. You can't deny that's straight up ridiculous, even in the context of Dragon Ball.

No, I thought about this logically, and these fan added rules do not hold up with the franchise at large. It all came down to Salagir liking Broli, and therefore making his differing Super Saiyan form something far crazier than Toei ever dreamed of. There's nothing wrong with liking a side character or movie villain, but this just takes it to a whole new extreme.

As for the Multiverse, you're missing the point here. You could have those things, but they wouldn't be nearly as distinct as in worlds where what we consider the norm never happened. A universe where Frost runs some backward solar system or whatever is not the same as a more broad ruling system where there wasn't someone terrorizing the universe among his race. Some Saiyans being nice on some other planet is not the same as the Saiyans never having destroyed their homeworld and the Saiyan name being one of justice in the universe.

Such varied universes can lead to our characters questioning both how things are and how things could be for some interesting character moments.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Mewzard wrote:So yeah, this quite a bit worse than what you argue against Freeza. This is a whole other plane of cheapness.
Since you think Freeza's power-up isn't as bad then would you feel the same way if Broly trained for four months to surpass Vegetto instead? To me I would consider that worse than his power rising for 20 years. In the manga, regardless of potential the character still needed to learn how to train properly. That's pretty much the difference between Present and Future Gohan. One was trained by Goku, a master martial artist, while the other had to train on his own but was still many times weaker. Even Uub who should have the highest potential in the series couldn't learn to do anything on his own and needed Goku's guidance. I would consider it more ridiculous if Broly somehow taught himself how to train and then continuously learn new ways to train to surpass Vegetto all within the span of four months. That would imply Broly "outsmarted" Goku and Vegeta since he was able to learn much faster than they ever did. At least in DBM, Broly's LSSJ is a freak mutation that Broly has no control over and more of a curse. Freeza had no downside to his power-up other than it drains his power which could've been solved if he trained an extra few months. Broly loses all control in LSSJ and becomes a wild animal. His power would continue to rise until it eventually kills him and he's powerless to stop it unless someone "saves" him and knocks him out of the form.

I don't consider that "fanboying" over the character because he was treated as a throwaway obstacle to show off Vegetto's power. He could've been easily replaced with a stronger version of Kid Buu, Janemba, or an OC abomination that just wants to destroy everything. If he really wanted to have a Gary Stu version of Broly then there would've been one who somehow mastered his LSSJ form, gained full control over it, and then trained to surpass everyone.
As for the Multiverse, you're missing the point here. You could have those things, but they wouldn't be nearly as distinct as in worlds where what we consider the norm never happened. A universe where Frost runs some backward solar system or whatever is not the same as a more broad ruling system where there wasn't someone terrorizing the universe among his race. Some Saiyans being nice on some other planet is not the same as the Saiyans never having destroyed their homeworld and the Saiyan name being one of justice in the universe.

Such varied universes can lead to our characters questioning both how things are and how things could be for some interesting character moments.
What would the characters question? Both Goku and Vegeta are pure-hearted Saiyans and have already come to terms with the fact that most other members of their race were bad people. I'm sure Vegeta already regrets all the evil he's committed throughout his life. They'll probably consider it interesting how differently this universe developed but that might be it. I think the most we'll see is Vegeta visiting Planet Salad for a minutes and telling them about his universe with all of them being shocked.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Mewzard wrote:
To quote their own FAQ:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en ... #faqquests

"- In LSSJ, this Saiyan turns indestructible: attacks just don't hurt him. He can be pushed away, but not harmed.
- In LSSJ, the power of this Saiyan grows constantly.
- In LSSJ, this Saiyan won't get back to normal except in case a great shock."

He literally can't be hurt and constantly grows stronger. Unless you somehow render him unconscious, he can only be driven back. Even if you're stronger, he doesn't take damage. This is some heavy fanboy stuff.
That's just marketing.

If I say that Goku is invincible regarding fighters much weaker than him as long as he keeps his guard up, and that Goku in SSJ, while he has his guard up, is indestructible and only a power that surpasses his SSj power can overcome the indestructibility of SSJ Goku with his guard up, you would say that SSJ Goku is indestructible and invincible? Of course not, that's just a fancy way of saying that someone weaker than Goku won't manage to hurt Goku unless he lets him or if he has his guard down.

That's the kind of fancy words they are using for Broly. Here's what they are actually saying: "LSSJ Broly is indestructible! Unless a character more powerful than him shows up and hits him with a big attack! If that happens, his LSSJ resistance will just break down and he will be defeated or die! Which means that, truthfully, LSSJ just gives him abnormal resistance against people already weaker than Broly or with pretty much the same power! So, Broly will still be defeated if someone stronger than him comes along, which isn't much different from any other character in Dragon Ball! But we still use terms like indestructible and invincible because they will cause controversy and boost the views of the fan manga, both from Broly fans and from non Broly fans!"

Broly lost and was hurt by Vegetto, meaning that its obvious that he isn't actually invincible or indestructible. You are just getting caught up in their marketing and in those terms instead of seeing exactly what are the differences between LSSJ Broly and the other characters. And the differences are: abnormal resistance to attacks that don't surpass his power, and the ability to become stronger as time goes by without training. There's no actual invincibility or invulnerability.
To quote again:

"Broly's "legendary" power causes his strength to be always increasing, as long as he is alive. Thus his power rises with each passing minute."

This isn't Dragon Ball's typical holding back just in case, for a challenging moment, or learning your full potential, he just forever grows more powerful, because Broli. It's just a cheap gimmick that makes an already uninteresting character seem like a Mary Sue-ish joke.
In movie 8, Broly, after beating the gang, instead of getting weaker after the energy he had spent beating them up, inexplicably states that his power is rising, and his power rises in a way that is actually uncomfortable for him, so he actually lets go a series of blasts, spending energy, to feel more comfortable.

Why that happens, why Broly's power is rising without any justification, when he is not even in battle anymore and while he isn't doing anything, is not explained.

The notion that Broly's power rises without explanation in LSSJ comes originally from that.

So, if you have a problem with that, blame movie 8. DBM didn't make up that scene. Broly's power rising inexplicably in LSSJ is something that is already in movie 8. If somebody was "fanboying" Broly by making him have rising power without an explanation, it was the guys that made movie 8. DBM is only trying to explain and make sense of that (while also using it in the tournament in a useful manner).

Btw, the notion of Broly having abnormal resistance agaisnt everything that doesn't surpass his power also comes from movie 8 due to the way that Broly shrugged off absolutely everything that was thrown at him without injury or even pause except the final blow that ended him. So, you can also blame movie 8 for that notion, since DBM also didn't come up with that, they just tried to explain it and develop it.
Mewzard wrote:

What is the actual difference between having Frost be a benevolent ruler of a big portion of universe 6, or Frost ruling benevolently thousands of planets on the other side of the regular universe?

What's the difference between the name of saiyans meaning justice in universe 6, and the name of saiyans meaning justice to thousands of planets on the other side of the regular universe?

That would be splitting hairs and it would be trying to argue that the exact number of planets where that happens is somehow very relevant. You don't need a multiverse for any of that.

(Or instead of the other side of the universe, another realm where they somehow went, similar to how Dabra's realm exists while still being part of the universe but not normally accessible. No need for an actual multiverse. There's only a need for it when there's actual alternate characters and situations)
Last edited by rereboy on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 11 times in total.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

Kamiwin's law: "As an online Dragon Ball discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Broly approaches 1"
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 pm

ParkerAL wrote:Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

Kamiwin's law: "As an online Dragon Ball discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Broly approaches 1"
The current conversation is on topic (about the merits of DBM and its characters), and nobody is insulting anyone and everyone is being decently civil.

I fail to see why you seem to want to stop it with posts like that.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:32 pm

rereboy wrote:That's just marketing.

If I say that Goku is invincible regarding fighters much weaker than him as long as he keeps his guard up, and that Goku in SSJ, while he has his guard up, is indestructible and only a power that surpasses his SSj power can overcome the indestructibility of SSJ Goku with his guard up, you would say that SSJ Goku is indestructible and invincible? Of course not, that's just a fancy way of saying that someone weaker than Goku won't manage to hurt Goku unless he lets him or if he has his guard down.

That's the kind of fancy words they are using for Broly. Here's what they are actually saying: "LSSJ Broly is indestructible! Unless a character more powerful than him shows up and hits him with a big attack! If that happens, his LSSJ resistance will just break down and he will be defeated or die! Which means that, truthfully, LSSJ just gives him abnormal resistance against people already weaker than Broly or with pretty much the same power! So, Broly will still be defeated if someone stronger than him comes along, which isn't much different from any other character in Dragon Ball! But we still use terms like indestructible and invincible because they will cause controversy and boost the views of the fan manga, both from Broly fans and from non Broly fans!"

Broly lost and was hurt by Vegetto, meaning that its obvious that he isn't actually invincible or indestructible. You are just getting caught up in their marketing and in those terms instead of seeing exactly what are the differences between LSSJ Broly and the other characters. And the differences are: abnormal resistance to attacks that don't surpass his power, and the ability to become stronger as time goes by without training. There's no actual invincibility or invulnerability.

In movie 8, Broly, after beating the gang, instead of getting weaker after the energy he had spent beating them up, inexplicably states that his power is rising, and his power rises in a way that is actually uncomfortable for him, so he actually lets go a series of blasts, spending energy, to feel more comfortable.

Why that happens, why Broly's power is rising without any justification, when he is not even in battle anymore and while he isn't doing anything, is not explained.

The notion that Broly's power rises without explanation in LSSJ comes originally from that.

So, if you have a problem with that, blame movie 8. DBM didn't make up that scene. Broly's power rising inexplicably in LSSJ is something that is already in movie 8. If somebody was "fanboying" Broly by making him have rising power without an explanation, it was the guys that made movie 8. DBM is only trying to explain and make sense of that (while also using it in the tournament in a useful manner).

Btw, the notion of Broly having abnormal resistance agaisnt everything that doesn't surpass his power also comes from movie 8 due to the way that Broly shrugged off absolutely everything that was thrown at him without injury or even pause except the final blow that ended him. So, you can also blame movie 8 for that notion, since DBM also didn't come up with that, they just tried to explain it and develop it.

What is the actual difference between having Frost be a benevolent ruler of a big portion of universe 6, or Frost ruling benevolently thousands of planets on the other side of the regular universe?

What's the difference between the name of saiyans meaning justice in universe 6, and the name of saiyans meaning justice to thousands of planets on the other side of the regular universe?

That would be splitting hairs and it would be trying to argue that the exact number of planets where that happens is somehow very relevant. You don't need a multiverse for any of that.

(Or instead of the other side of the universe, another realm where they somehow went, similar to how Dabra's realm exists while still being part of the universe but not normally accessible. No need for an actual multiverse. There's only a need for it when there's actual alternate characters and situations)
Except, if you'll recall, SSJ3 Vegetto's attack did not kill Broli...it just sent him flying in space. At that moment, Vegetto clearly surpassed Broli...yet nothing happened. Not only is he alive, his body shows little damage at all. Just a few scuffs from an attack that surpassed him and sent him rocketing deep into space (and I spot checked it to make sure). That's more than just resistance to attacks below him. Anyone else weaker than that attack would have been atomized by then.

A Saiyan getting stronger when he gets angrier is pretty well known (and "Kakarot" sets Broli off like nothing else), but there was no indication that this happened before, or would happen forever.

Also, given how the creator of Broli reacted to Beerus being a God of Destruction and beyond Broli...he might have been fanboying him. That is possibly a topic worth discussing.

Once again, even during times Broli was inferior to Vegetto (including that final attack), he wasn't exactly taking much in the way of damage. He barely has any more scuffs after Vegetto's best attack at SSJ3 than he had earlier in the fight.

It's not just the size, it's the entire history leading up to it. If one universes sees some small time benevolent king from a family of genocidal maniacs, they'd have a totally different viewpoint from another universe that sees a ruler they have never felt threatened by or questioned based on past relations with his kind. The culture could differ, what kinds of people revolt could be different, the constant threat of war would change group dynamics drastically.

A race that is functionally the protectors of peace vs a few nice guys from that race of extinct genocidal space pirates? That can change your whole perspective. Their entire society would differ from that of the Saiyans, and probably even the Earth. It changes a lot.

There's more to Multiverses than Mirror Universes and "What if Superman landed in Russia or Nazi Germany instead of America". There's nothing wrong with having universes like those in a multiverse, but it's too limiting to just have those. It's far more creative to make them more distinct entities. The fact that U6 has so many distinctions from U7 despite being its twin really makes me excited to see more Universes. How different are they? Do they even function under similar laws of physics? Are there any traditional lifeforms? Or is everything beyond the normal definition of life? Now that's exciting.

Not sure how much longer we should continue the particular argument we're having (I would hate to disrupt the comic discussion itself too much), but yeah, despite disagreeing, you're totally entitled to your opinion, and civil discourse is quite enjoyable. I doubt anyone's going to hit Godwin's Law.
Skar wrote:Since you think Freeza's power-up isn't as bad then would you feel the same way if Broly trained for four months to surpass Vegetto instead? To me I would consider that worse than his power rising for 20 years. In the manga, regardless of potential the character still needed to learn how to train properly. That's pretty much the difference between Present and Future Gohan. One was trained by Goku, a master martial artist, while the other had to train on his own but was still many times weaker. Even Uub who should have the highest potential in the series couldn't learn to do anything on his own and needed Goku's guidance. I would consider it more ridiculous if Broly somehow taught himself how to train and then continuously learn new ways to train to surpass Vegetto all within the span of four months. That would imply Broly "outsmarted" Goku and Vegeta since he was able to learn much faster than they ever did. At least in DBM, Broly's LSSJ is a freak mutation that Broly has no control over and more of a curse. Freeza had no downside to his power-up other than it drains his power which could've been solved if he trained an extra few months. Broly loses all control in LSSJ and becomes a wild animal. His power would continue to rise until it eventually kills him and he's powerless to stop it unless someone "saves" him and knocks him out of the form.

I don't consider that "fanboying" over the character because he was treated as a throwaway obstacle to show off Vegetto's power. He could've been easily replaced with a stronger version of Kid Buu, Janemba, or an OC abomination that just wants to destroy everything. If he really wanted to have a Gary Stu version of Broly then there would've been one who somehow mastered his LSSJ form, gained full control over it, and then trained to surpass everyone.

What would the characters question? Both Goku and Vegeta are pure-hearted Saiyans and have already come to terms with the fact that most other members of their race were bad people. I'm sure Vegeta already regrets all the evil he's committed throughout his life. They'll probably consider it interesting how differently this universe developed but that might be it. I think the most we'll see is Vegeta visiting Planet Salad for a minutes and telling them about his universe with all of them being shocked.
My main issue with the whole Broli thing is how his powerup works in this first place. That said, a lot of why I'm less bothered by Freeza's powerup is how Freeza was as a character. He barely ever used his power or fought at all until all of his forces were lost, only getting out of his chair and into action when need be. Yet, despite that, he was so ridiculously strong. He wasn't a long trained warrior, some genetically modified monstrosity powered up to ridiculous levels, or some borderline C'thulian nightmare created by magic. He was a guy whom seemed to surpass all life in the universe with no effort on his part, and it took a legendary transformation of one of the greatest warrior races in the universe to finally take him down. That is a person I can buy has a lot of potential, if he puts out that much power pre-training. Like how strong Gohan was at the start,yet to a degree massively beyond him.

Hubris was Freeza's greatest weakness (even moreso than his new forms draining cost), and even if he did master it, I wonder if he wouldn't have gotten cocky enough at some point to cost him his victory in the end (perhaps having both Goku and Vegeta fight him together).

Literally page one was Broli fighting Vegetto, and he was hyped for most of his stay, and even after, with Buu seeking to absorb him for his power, and later another special where it requires SSJ2 Gohan, at least SSJ1 Vegeta, and SSJ3 Goku to send Broli into the Sun, where only detransforming killed him (apparently that combined power wasn't enough to defeat the Legendary SSJ). Also, no Bio-Broli, because Broli's a clone who doesn't get the most dignified end. Sorry, but it all comes off somewhat fanboyish.

Now that's all up to the writing. They could learn interesting things about traditional Saiyan culture or training to take with them. They could meet new allies to travel with them. Hell, maybe the interaction could totally change how Vegeta looks at Saiyan legacy and pride (for good or for ill). It all depends upon what the writers think to do with it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am

Mewzard wrote:He wasn't....some genetically modified monstrosity powered up to ridiculous levels, or some borderline C'thulian nightmare created by magic. He was a guy whom seemed to surpass all life in the universe with no effort on his part, and it took a legendary transformation of one of the greatest warrior races in the universe to finally take him down.
I dunno, sounds like a match to me. Especially since we don't get any explanation as to WHY he's that ridiculously strong to start with :P .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:38 am

Mewzard wrote:He barely ever used his power or fought at all until all of his forces were lost, only getting out of his chair and into action when need be. Yet, despite that, he was so ridiculously strong. He wasn't a long trained warrior, some genetically modified monstrosity powered up to ridiculous levels, or some borderline C'thulian nightmare created by magic. He was a guy whom seemed to surpass all life in the universe with no effort on his part, and it took a legendary transformation of one of the greatest warrior races in the universe to finally take him down. That is a person I can buy has a lot of potential, if he puts out that much power pre-training. Like how strong Gohan was at the start,yet to a degree massively beyond him.
I don't know if you realize you literally could give the same explanation for Broly:
"BROLY barely ever used his power or fought at all only getting out of his chair and into action when his father released him. Yet, despite that, he was so ridiculously strong. BROLY wasn't a long trained warrior, some genetically modified monstrosity powered up to ridiculous levels, or some borderline C'thulian nightmare created by magic. BROLY was a guy whom seemed to surpass all life in the universe with no effort on his part, and it took a (mastered) legendary transformation of one of the greatest warrior races in the universe (borrowing energy from other SSJs) to finally take him down."
If you're okay with Freeza having huge potential just because he was born very powerful then you should have no problem with applying that same logic to Broly. Both are freak mutations of their races. This is why I asked if you think Broly training for four months in DBM would be better. Would you prefer Broly out training everyone to surpass SSJ3 Vegetto within four months instead of his power rising over the course of several decades? In the first example he somehow becomes a master martial artist within a few days or weeks while in the other he's a mindless freak of nature and a victim of the circumstance. His power grows due to a mutation he was born with not because he's an intelligent character who knows how to use his power properly.
Literally page one was Broli fighting Vegetto, and he was hyped for most of his stay, and even after, with Buu seeking to absorb him for his power, and later another special where it requires SSJ2 Gohan, at least SSJ1 Vegeta, and SSJ3 Goku to send Broli into the Sun, where only detransforming killed him (apparently that combined power wasn't enough to defeat the Legendary SSJ). Also, no Bio-Broli, because Broli's a clone who doesn't get the most dignified end. Sorry, but it all comes off somewhat fanboyish.
It's true Salagir is a fan of Broly but for someone who is supposedly a fan boy, he didn't really show his character in a positive light. If you want to fanboy over a character then you would at least give them somewhat of a respectable, lasting role. Broly was sent back to his universe on page 277 which was released September of 2010. That's almost six years ago and since then he's only been brought up twice: when the Heloites introduced their new armor and said it could kill Broly and when Raichi's Ghost Broly was killed by Prince Vegeta. That was it. There are fanfics out there about Broly training and mastering his LSSJ form or getting sent to Earth instead of Goku and becoming a great hero. This is a story about a multiverse so that could've easily been done if the author was a Broly fanboy but it didn't. He was released, had Vegetto power-up, sent back home because he was too brain dead to participate in a tournament. We have three Vegetas, two Gokus, two Gotenks, two Buus, two versions of Nail, but only one Broly who they happened to find in a block of ice. In all the universes, they visited they couldn't find a single functioning Broly to invite to the tournament. He was either dead in these universes or restrained by his father because he lacked any self-control.
Now that's all up to the writing. They could learn interesting things about traditional Saiyan culture or training to take with them. They could meet new allies to travel with them. Hell, maybe the interaction could totally change how Vegeta looks at Saiyan legacy and pride (for good or for ill). It all depends upon what the writers think to do with it.
With the way Super's been going I think we'll probably only see some light-hearted interactions between them. The only thing these Saiyans have in common with the U7 Saiyans is Planet Salad. Since the U6 Saiyans are all good and apparently don't have tails, it means their universe changed much earlier on. I don't know if Toriyama would want to dedicate that much time to revealing their history and what caused them to end up radically different from our own Saiyans. I would enjoy seeing that but I don't want to get my hopes and then all we get is a few minutes of Vegeta having a look around the planet.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:32 am

Skar (quoting the whole thing is just going to lead to way too big of posts):

Except Broli used his power quite frequently. I seem to recall his movie being he was wiping out an entire galaxy's planets one world at a time. Your analogy really doesn't work here, comparing him to the far more methodical Freeza, who preferred military strength and captured planets to personal fights and blowing up worlds (special circumstances aside). Broli still had a clear growth pattern. He was born with a power level of 10,000, but he grew far beyond that. He gained transformations and clearly exercised his power on a fairly regular basis to make an entire Galaxy's planets be almost totally destroyed. He didn't get that much stronger than Goku despite a comparable time frame of growing and fighting.

Freeza? We learn his transformations were to suppress his true power. He gains an army and has them do most of his work. Even when he goes on a mission, he comes with a full force including his closest soldiers, sits in his floaty chair (not even spending the energy to fly), and outside of the occasional potshot at a kid or useless minion, is content to oversee everything. With how little he does before things fall apart, I'm surprised Freeza doesn't have to deal with blood clots or poor cardiovascular health. Despite all that, he's the top of the food chain by a significant margin. The only beings that surpass him at the time of his reign are gods, god-killing monsters, and the King of the Demon Realm as far as we're aware. His father is the only comparable power to him otherwise. To a being so foreign of actual effort to be that strong, it shouldn't be that surprising that he could grow massively if he took legitimate efforts to push his limits day in and day out for a long period of time. Even factoring that in, he still had to gain his first transformation to push himself beyond his regular limits to overcome Goku.

I feel I argued my case well enough on why I think Broli was Gary Stu'd in DBM (none of your points there really change my mind as to how ridiculous he's treated, despite his leaving; Vegetto even said if he had to fight Broli any later than round one, he would have probably lost, and that's just ridiculous, he was gaining power while being a frozen brick). It's getting too late to argue this in much more depth than that, sorry.

You're probably right about it limiting things to light-hearted interactions. But I really want to stay positive and hope Toriyama gets creative in that regard. When it comes to him, he can create some interesting stuff. We'll see. I'm more than willing to keep the hope alive.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 am

Mewzard wrote:Except Broli used his power quite frequently. I seem to recall his movie being he was wiping out an entire galaxy's planets one world at a time. Your analogy really doesn't work here, comparing him to the far more methodical Freeza, who preferred military strength and captured planets to personal fights and blowing up worlds (special circumstances aside). Broli still had a clear growth pattern. He was born with a power level of 10,000, but he grew far beyond that. He gained transformations and clearly exercised his power on a fairly regular basis to make an entire Galaxy's planets be almost totally destroyed. He didn't get that much stronger than Goku despite a comparable time frame of growing and fighting.
Freeza was much older than Broly and we know he destroyed planets as well. Since Freeza himself said that he never trained before then that means the destruction of planets using a small amount of energy doesn't count as training. Kid Buu and Beerus probably caused the most destruction in the series and yet that was never implied to have any influence on their power level. It seems like you're suggesting that if Broly destroyed less planets then he would be much weaker. Unless there's proof that Broly destroyed them in hopes of getting a Zenkai from the explosion then I don't know what it matters. Also, the comparison you're making with Goku doesn't address the fact that Goku trained throughout his life while Broly didn't. Goku wasn't running around blowing up his surroundings and killing people vastly weaker than him. He trained with Grandpa Gohan, Master Roshi, Korin, drank from the God water, trained with Kami, trained with King Kai, gained Zenkais, trained in 100x Earth's gravity, trained in the HTC for a year and was still weaker than Broly. Broly was born with a power level of 10,000 and, shortly after his birth, he was able to produce a shield that protected him and his father from the planet's destruction which implies his power grew. Over the course of 30 years or so, his power continued to grow until he was stronger than several experienced SSJs. We don't know how strong Freeza was at birth just that he was 120 million by however old he was in the series. Either way neither one has ever trained but Broly was many times stronger.
I feel I argued my case well enough on why I think Broli was Gary Stu'd in DBM (none of your points there really change my mind as to how ridiculous he's treated, despite his leaving; Vegetto even said if he had to fight Broli any later than round one, he would have probably lost, and that's just ridiculous, he was gaining power while being a frozen brick). It's getting too late to argue this in much more depth than that, sorry.
No honestly I don't think you did. First you would have provided which definition of Gary Stu you were referring to. It's a common misconception that just being really strong automatically means Gary Stu. I've explained that there many opportunities to have versions of Broly that weren't completely insane but that never happened. Second you would have answered the question I've been asking. I can't really consider you feel you have a good argument when you're not willing to provide a straight answer.
Example #1: Broly trains for four months and surpasses SSJ3 Vegetto. This I believe could fall within the definition of Gary Stu because, despite having no prior knowledge of training, Broly learns how to train within a few days and then continuously learns new ways to push himself to out train everyone else in the series.
Example #2: LSSJ is a rare mutation that causes their power to rise and comes along every 1000 years and Broly just happened to be the one this time. Broly does eventually surpass Vegetto but it's over the course of decades not a few months. Broly has no control over the power, can't turn it off on his own, and will eventually die from it.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 am

Mewzard wrote:
Except, if you'll recall, SSJ3 Vegetto's attack did not kill Broli...it just sent him flying in space. At that moment, Vegetto clearly surpassed Broli...yet nothing happened.
Vegetto's attack knocked him out. It was a KO blow. If it hadn't hurt him at all, if it hadn't affect him at all, he wouldn't have been knocked out. Attacks that surpass Broly's power will either hurt him or kill him. In this case, it hurt him enough for him to be knocked out. Being hurt is not just losing limbs or getting a giant hole in the chest.
Not only is he alive, his body shows little damage at all. Just a few scuffs from an attack that surpassed him and sent him rocketing deep into space (and I spot checked it to make sure). That's more than just resistance to attacks below him. Anyone else weaker than that attack would have been atomized by then.
Actually, that's just normal Dragon Ball resistance. Vegeta, in the saiyan arc, with a power level of 18.000, took a (close to) 24.000 power level Kamehameha in the face, wasn't even knocked out and also only appears to have some scuffs from the attack (you can compare them: Vegeta and Broly) so we can say that he was even less hurt than Broly was against Vegetto. Broly still has resistance to attacks that surpass his power, but it's a normal resistance, not an abnormal one like he has regarding attacks that don't surpass his power.
A Saiyan getting stronger when he gets angrier is pretty well known (and "Kakarot" sets Broli off like nothing else), but there was no indication that this happened before, or would happen forever.
Broly, in movie 8, has his power rising without any justification. He wasn't getting angrier in that scene, all his opponents had been defeated.
Also, given how the creator of Broli reacted to Beerus being a God of Destruction and beyond Broli...he might have been fanboying him. That is possibly a topic worth discussing.
That doesn't make sense. Fanboying is something that only fans can do. What the authors can do is create Mary Sues, but all that Broly's creator did was create a powerful villain character that did his job well in being imposing and being a threat and that was very far from being perfect (he wasn't even intelligent). Broly was powerful but far from being a mary sue.

The author preferring his own work to Beerus doesn't mean anything more than him being partial to his own work or genuinely not enjoying Beerus very much.
Once again, even during times Broli was inferior to Vegetto (including that final attack), he wasn't exactly taking much in the way of damage. He barely has any more scuffs after Vegetto's best attack at SSJ3 than he had earlier in the fight.
The only time Vegetto actually surpassed Broly's power when during the final attack. Until then, Vegetto deliberately kept himself to pretty much the same level that Broly was using because he wanted to enjoy the fight. Therefore, with the exception of his final attack, everything he did went agaisnt Broly's abnormal resistance and even Zen Buu questions what exactly Vegetto is doing during that fight since he must be aware of that.
It's not just the size, it's the entire history leading up to it. If one universes sees some small time benevolent king from a family of genocidal maniacs, they'd have a totally different viewpoint from another universe that sees a ruler they have never felt threatened by or questioned based on past relations with his kind. The culture could differ, what kinds of people revolt could be different, the constant threat of war would change group dynamics drastically.
The viewpoint would also be entirely different in the thousands of planets where Frost would be benevolent or where saiyans meant justice. In that area, they might never even have heard of Freeza or of saiyans that conquered planets, just of Frost and of the saiyans that they know. No need for a multiverse for that.
A race that is functionally the protectors of peace vs a few nice guys from that race of extinct genocidal space pirates? That can change your whole perspective. Their entire society would differ from that of the Saiyans, and probably even the Earth. It changes a lot.
Who says they have to be just a few nice guys? They could be thousands of saiyans, descendant from saiyans that left planet Saiya separately from the saiyans that afterwards arrived on planet Plant because they didn't like them since they were far more peace loving than them, and that evolved to be "protectors of peace".

Where exactly is the real difference? Where exactly is the need for another universe? Everything about their race/tribe, their society and the different viewpoint about them could easily exist in the regular universe.
There's more to Multiverses than Mirror Universes and "What if Superman landed in Russia or Nazi Germany instead of America".
That's the core of the multiverses and why they are used. Without that, there is no real need for them. In comics for example, whenever they talk about universes, like universe 616 on Marvel compared to the others, it's always because those universes are meant to have alternate versions of the characters and events. When they just want other characters that aren't from around the area, typically they just use "from another country/continent", "from the other side of the planet", "from somewhere in the universe", or "from another dimension".

And yes, we can have more than that, and that is why DBM also has some original stuff, but that's the core.
There's nothing wrong with having universes like those in a multiverse, but it's too limiting to just have those. It's far more creative to make them more distinct entities. The fact that U6 has so many distinctions from U7 despite being its twin really makes me excited to see more Universes. How different are they? Do they even function under similar laws of physics? Are there any traditional lifeforms? Or is everything beyond the normal definition of life? Now that's exciting.
All that would be accomplished with another realm or dimension, like, for example, Dabra's dimension. You could make all those questions regarding Dabra's realm or any other similar dimension or realm, which are still part of the universe. We even see some of this with ROSAT since time is different there. Once again, there would be no need for an actual multiverse if there's no alternate version of characters or events.