Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Speedster
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by Speedster » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 pm

supercat wrote:First and foremost, do you not know how to quote properly? Your quoting was off, and I had to fix it for the sake of keeping this discussion legible. It's a rather simple endeavor that I figured most people wouldn't have had any trouble with. That said, if you really don't know how to utilize it properly, I suggest you take some time to learn, as it isn't my job (or the other members') to sit here and correct your mistakes.
Your quoting style, which you want to impose as the de the facto “proper” style of the forum as if you were a moderator, is to quote the entire previous discussion. I am not subscribing to such a lazy method that makes the posts lengthy and tedious. I quote and respond directly to the bits of the previous post of the person I am discussing with, without re-quoting the entire previous discussion like you lazily do when responding. I put your name on the first quote in my post meaning that from that point onwards anything in quotes will be referring to your points though most times I do tend to use the name on every quote and not leaving it nameless like I did in my previous post. In any case if that doesn't suit you, then tough luck. You are more than welcome to stop responding to my posts. Your responses are ill-constructed and your argumentation is weak anyway ---- resorting to cheap comebacks about quotation won't make what you say any more valid.
supercat wrote:Also, why would I care how much criticism the show receives? I'm not the one who created it now am I?
You forget that you invited me to stop watching Dragonball if I don't like what I see instead of criticising the non-sense behind the power-scaling which according to you and your headcanons makes perfect sense. No it doesn't make sense and your interpretation of the source material does not hold any more weight over others' despite your belief that it does.
supercat wrote:Engaging in logical discussions is what ultimately piques my interest; trying to squeeze everyone into some ridiculously low-balled scale makes zero sense when the show has historically depicted seemingly invincible characters getting trumped time and time again as soon as a new arc begins. So if anything, I'm following a previously established trend, whereas you're going above and beyond to downplay everyone's power.
Still an assumption of what you think it happens. Not by any means a fact that can be used to dismiss other asumptions.
supercat wrote:I'm all for people formulating speculations and theories; but here's the problem with your post... you're dragging in facts that have not been confirmed nor explicitly mentioned. That's not really utilizing your critical thinking skills to come up with a speculation, it's called making up your own story.
What you fail to grasp with your conventional thinking and outdated ideas doesn't mean it is baseless.
supercat wrote:You do realize that Base Goku retained the vast majority of his SSG powers right? Toss in all the additional training that took place after his fight with Beerus, and we have no real reason to believe that Base Goku is worlds below his SSG incarnation. A few notches below at most, but nowhere near any of the fodders from the Buu arc.
Here is your problem. As I said in my first post this was probably the original intention since the BoGs movie – see Toriyama’s interview. That is why were were all lead to believe that base Goku was near SSG tier.
However all this was about BoGs the *movie*. When the Resurrection of F movie and later DB Super came out and the concept of the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan was introduced things were changed so that the power level of SSG is reached through the SSJ and then through the SSGSS transformation. That leaves the base in limbo and that can be placed anywhere really as long as it is 5 tiers above where Piccolo is in FnF. And Goku discusses about Buu with Vegeta and considers him as a very strong fighter - why would he even say this this if himself in his base form was leagues above Buu? My power-scaling doesn't consider percentage differences on imaginary fan-made numbers. It is instead based on the far more neutral approach of equidistant tiers and fights are decided by inflicting reduction to your opponent's "energy/health" in a similar logic Versus fighting video games operate.
supercat wrote:This discussion is becoming so redundant, I don't even know where to begin. The order in which the fighters were recruited likely has nothing to do with strength; if it did, don't you think it would have been further elaborated?
This is is a bit rich to be asked by a person who believes that Piccolo is now Super Vegetto level without elaboration. Don't you think they would have further elaborated if Piccolo ever reached SSJ Vegetto level? Oh, wait, according to you they don't need to elaborate because it is a “trend”. And what more elaboration do you need about Buu being stronger than Piccolo anyway? Buu would still retain his place in the tournament had Gohan decided to participate at the expense of Piccolo. And as Buu had always been stronger than Piccolo I don't have a reason to believe that this is not the case anymore and for it to be further elaborated. However I would ask to be further elaborated if Piccolo was chosen to participate instead of Buu. But that wasn’t what happened.
apex_pretador wrote:
Speedster wrote: mystic Gohan was like 10-20x stronger than SSJ3 Goku
Nope, more like 4-5x
That is not what I believe personally. That is what I assumed *he* (supercat) believed. Personally I believe that SSJ3 Goku (Buu arc) is about equal to Ultimate Gohan (Buu arc) in the anime continuity of which Super exists but this is a different debate for another thread.
Last edited by Speedster on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Piccolo must have got stronger simply because he has a new technique so I think that preview card might be misleading especially as helooks good and comfortable in the preview for episode 34.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:23 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Piccolo must have got stronger simply because he has a new technique so I think that preview card might be misleading especially as helooks good and comfortable in the preview for episode 34.
New technique? He's been using the multi-form lots of times in the anime at least, especially for sparring practice.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:49 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:According to the preview card just released, Piccolo has not got stronger at all which is just stupid.
I'm not sure why people expected him to be. There's already 3 strikes against him due to not being a Saiyan. :problem:
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Piccolo must have got stronger simply because he has a new technique so I think that preview card might be misleading especially as helooks good and comfortable in the preview for episode 34.
New technique? He's been using the multi-form lots of times in the anime at least, especially for sparring practice.
That seems like the zanzoken(after image) to me. The sheer number seems to much for the multi-form.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'm gonna have to adjust my battle powers now.

Vegetto: 15
-- Super Saiyan: 750
-- Super Saiyan 2: 1,500
-- Super Saiyan 3: 6,000

Gohan: 360

Fat Boo: 26
-- Mr. Boo: 10.4
Kid Boo: 31

Super Boo: 230
-- Gotenks: 470
-- Gohan: 590

Beerus: 100,000
Whis: 150,000

Goku: 7,000
-- Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God: 35,000

Goku (F): 7,500
-- Super Saiyan Blue: 70,000

Freeza: 35
-- Final Form: 7,000
-- Golden: 80,000

Goku (U6): 8,000
-- Super Saiyan: 40,000
-- Super Saiyan Blue: 80,000

Botamo: 500

Frost: 1,000
-- Assault form: 7,000
-- Final form: 20,000

Piccolo: 10,000
SSG/SSJ Goku should be at 60,000

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm

I know, but I can't find a way to fit everything with Toriyama's original scale, Super messed with things too much.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:06 pm

We don't know yet if SSB is stronger than SSJ.

For all we know it's just a color swap to sell more toys.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Zombie wrote:We don't know yet if SSB is stronger than SSJ.

For all we know it's just a color swap to sell more toys.
Exactly, we literally have no idea what's happening or how powerful anyone is at this point. This is literally the first fight we have seen after 3 years in the RoSaT

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else wish we could get some comparison statements to have even a hint of a clue where the hell anyone stands in relation to one another? Even GT at least gave you an idea where Rild stands so you can even have some basis to jump off of. With all this God stuff, everyone's just vaguely stronger or weaker with no frame of reference to even gauge them with.
Just before Super Saiyan Blue is revealed, Freeza says something like "Despite knowing you [Goku] have defeated Majin Boo, I didn't think you'd become this strong..". A hasty viewer may say Freeza stated Base Goku was much stronger than Boo, but perhaps Freeza wasn't expecting Goku to match him in that condition?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else wish we could get some comparison statements to have even a hint of a clue where the hell anyone stands in relation to one another? Even GT at least gave you an idea where Rild stands so you can even have some basis to jump off of. With all this God stuff, everyone's just vaguely stronger or weaker with no frame of reference to even gauge them with.
Just before Super Saiyan Blue is revealed, Freeza says something like "Despite knowing you [Goku] have defeated Majin Boo, I didn't think you'd become this strong..". A hasty viewer may say Freeza stated Base Goku was much stronger than Boo, but perhaps Freeza wasn't expecting Goku to match him in that condition?
TBF, Freeza doesn't really have a clue how strong Majin Boo is apart from his father's warning. Now, if someone like Gohan or Piccolo said it, that might give us a good idea where Base Goku stands. The only way he could potentially know if Goku's stronger than Fat Boo, at least, is if he could sense ki but I don't recall that ever being stated or implied in either versions of F.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Zombie wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'm gonna have to adjust my battle powers now.

Vegetto: 15
-- Super Saiyan: 750
-- Super Saiyan 2: 1,500
-- Super Saiyan 3: 6,000

Gohan: 360

Fat Boo: 26
-- Mr. Boo: 10.4
Kid Boo: 31

Super Boo: 230
-- Gotenks: 470
-- Gohan: 590

Beerus: 100,000
Whis: 150,000

Goku: 7,000
-- Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God: 35,000

Goku (F): 7,500
-- Super Saiyan Blue: 70,000

Freeza: 35
-- Final Form: 7,000
-- Golden: 80,000

Goku (U6): 8,000
-- Super Saiyan: 40,000
-- Super Saiyan Blue: 80,000

Botamo: 500

Frost: 1,000
-- Assault form: 7,000
-- Final form: 20,000

Piccolo: 10,000
SSG/SSJ Goku should be at 60,000
I like Doctor's numbers for some reason. This what FnF and U6 Arc suggests, but I doesn't work for BoG Arc as Goku in base ws able to punch back Beerus' ball.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

Not with the Special Beam Cannon I don't think and not that many clones of himself either. That better be multi-form and not just after image aswell.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:
TBF (What is this??), Freeza doesn't really have a clue how strong Majin Boo is apart from his father's warning. Now, if someone like Gohan or Piccolo said it, that might give us a good idea where Base Goku stands. The only way he could potentially know if Goku's stronger than Fat Boo, at least, is if he could sense ki but I don't recall that ever being stated or implied in either versions of F.
Okay, but assuming Freeza has an accurate reading on Boo's strength, what would you think? For instance, he seemed well aware that Beerus was a threat to him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Okay, but assuming Freeza has an accurate reading on Boo's strength, what would you think? For instance, he seemed well aware that Beerus was a threat to him.
Well, it would depend on which Boo he's talking about. Assuming Sorbet was watching the fight with Boohan and told Freeza how strong he is, we'd know that Base Goku with God Ki is, at least, on par with full-power SSJ Vegetto.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:52 pm

LightBing wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
That seems like the zanzoken(after image) to me. The sheer number seems to much for the multi-form.
I think so too. Also Piccolo is already at a disadvantage in power, so cutting up his strength by using the multi-form is a bad idea. It's probably the zanzouken since that doesn't cut his power down.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Speedster wrote:Piccolo is now Super Vegetto level without elaboration. Don't you think they would have further elaborated if Piccolo ever reached SSJ Vegetto level?
I honestly don't know how someone could come to that conclusion when we don't even know for sure how strong base Goku is or how much power he used against Frost. I find it hard to believe Piccolo could even surpass Mr. Buu within a few months of normal training with Gohan. He was maybe around Cell Jr tier during the Cell Games and after seven years was still weaker than a FPSSJ. It wasn't implied he was vastly stronger four years later so I would assume he was still weaker than a FPSSJ during BoG. If they're really going to have Piccolo surpass FPSSJ, Perfect Cell, SSJ2, SSJ3, every form of Buu, and Vegetto within a few months then they should at the very least offer an explanation.

I've noticed that every time we get a crazy new power-up in Super there's always someone saying "but the manga always had ridiculous power-ups so it's perfectly fine!". They're ignoring the obvious difference between the power-ups in the manga and the ones in Super. In the manga, characters required new ways to train, transformations, or other power-ups and those only made them competitive with the antagonists of that particular saga. In most cases they required multiple plot devices throughout the saga and not just one. In Super, characters could miss out on multiple sagas and then make up the difference within a few short months. I don't recall that ever happening in the manga.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:Okay, but assuming Freeza has an accurate reading on Boo's strength, what would you think? For instance, he seemed well aware that Beerus was a threat to him.
Well, it would depend on which Boo he's talking about. Assuming Sorbet was watching the fight with Boohan and told Freeza how strong he is, we'd know that Base Goku with God Ki is, at least, on par with full-power SSJ Vegetto.
Fair enough. I think he was referring to the evil Boo, the one that reincarnated. I like the idea that Freeza was waiting Goku to be far more powerful after becoming a Super Saiyan, since Goku was doing so well without it. In your terms, it's as if Freeza was expecting SS Goku to match SS Vegetto.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Skar wrote:I find it hard to believe Piccolo could even surpass Mr. Buu within a few months of normal training with Gohan.
I find it hard to believe a Zarbon-tier mook can get to Boo-level by having holes punched into him for 4 months but it happened.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:02 pm

When Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan, Cabba is asked by Champa if he knew Saiyans could transform, but Cabba claims he never seen or heard of anything like it before.

Guess Cabba is jobbing to whoever at this point, unless he has an unknown technique to defeat Vegeta.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.