age progression

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

age progression

Post by ROCKYIII » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:19 am

dragonball and dragonball z the characters aged and seemed like they continuously got older. Now in super, goku and bulma look like they did at the beginning of z and no one has the wrinkles they had during the buu saga (chi chi, bulma). Same thing with goten and trunks, their physical appearance has been stalled in amber even though it's been years since the buu saga.

It's kinda starting to remind me of pokemon, oh look your favorite characters haven't aged a bit they're just like you remember!! Don't we all love dragonball? It's like we never left off :)

Part of it is the new animation style, but part of it is manipulation. Obviously we've all seen digitally done anime characters look older. It's fun to stand still in time with your favorite characters but after a while it's boring. It feels like the cast of dragonball is trapped in the nexus.

Khin
I Live Here

Re: age progression

Post by Khin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:59 am

• As Vegeta stated in episode 32.Saiyans stay young until the age of 80.So until Goku hits the age of 80 and above,he will still look the same as he is now.
  • Wasn't it said in some promotional materials in ROF that Bulma uses some material to make her look younger ? Though i could be wrong.
  • While Goten and Trunks still being kids looking is indeed getting annoying.You could say they have the same age pattern as the Saiyans.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:51 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
  • Wasn't it said in some promotional materials in ROF that Bulma uses some material to make her look younger ? Though i could be wrong.
It doesn't need to be said, when the first episode of Super is all about Trunks getting the idea for giving Videl some face cream to preserve a young look by observing his mother do that too IIRC.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:08 am

Man, I find it to be insulting for comparing Pokemon & DBZ. That too with age thing.

I mean, at least with DBZ you have a TON of characters since heyday DragonBall times progressing naturally with various stages of life. Take Krillin for instance. Shaolin Monk-to-Muten Roshi's pupil-to-Zetto Senshi-to-Fatherhood

Now Ash has been staying da EXACT same ever since Pokemon came out in 90's I think

EoZ showed Bulma & Chi Chi have aged, while GT made Krillin flat-out GrandDad wannabe

Of course, its fictional work we're talking about & expecting realism is kinda over-expectation imo

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:48 am

Yeah... it's actually getting quite frustrating to me. Marron is meant to be, what, 10-years-old at this point? And yet she's still baby-sized and sitting on 18's knee. Okay.

And supposedly Bulma at this point is meant to look old... I don't really see it. At all. It's a "poor" design in terms of what it's meant to portray. In that one recent episode they went on about how she's old, but she looks younger than she did at the beginning of DBZ. Even during the Buu arc she more or less looked middle-aged. Same with Kuririn, really. He looks like a teenager now. Maybe it's because some of the designs in Super are more or less in line with Toriyama's recent slight and thin drawing style, but it's a bit jarring after the relatively consistent progression of DBZ.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:24 am

Thanos wrote:Same with Kuririn, really. He looks like a teenager now. Maybe it's because some of the designs in Super are more or less in line with Toriyama's recent slight and thin drawing style, but it's a bit jarring after the relatively consistent progression of DBZ.
Krillin, in Super, has lost, at least, 1 foot in height.

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Vijay wrote:Man, I find it to be insulting for comparing Pokemon & DBZ. That too with age thing.

I mean, at least with DBZ you have a TON of characters since heyday DragonBall times progressing naturally with various stages of life. Take Krillin for instance. Shaolin Monk-to-Muten Roshi's pupil-to-Zetto Senshi-to-Fatherhood

Now Ash has been staying da EXACT same ever since Pokemon came out in 90's I think

EoZ showed Bulma & Chi Chi have aged, while GT made Krillin flat-out GrandDad wannabe

Of course, its fictional work we're talking about & expecting realism is kinda over-expectation imo
Definitely not as bad as Pokemon but I think it's for the same reason (new animation style aside). It's just strange that characters seemed to progress age wise until super and now everyone is frozen in time. And that face cream thing is stupid she just found out about it I guess lol.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:05 pm

ROCKYIII wrote:Definitely not as bad as Pokemon but I think it's for the same reason (new animation style aside). It's just strange that characters seemed to progress age wise until super and now everyone is frozen in time. And that face cream thing is stupid she just found out about it I guess lol.
Why is it strange? It's not like Super takes place over that long a period of time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Vijay wrote:Man, I find it to be insulting for comparing Pokemon & DBZ. That too with age thing.

The only think that changes about Ash is his cap and his voice got deeper. You'd think he'd be about his early 40's now, he will be 90 before he ever reaches his goal. TOO MANY LEGENDARY POKEMON!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Bulma's family are the biggest offenders of not aging in the franchise. It's really starting to get really annoyed seeing the characters actually not age anymore. But given how Toriyama has openly stated he regrets making the cast so old at the end of the story, my guess is that he trying have the case retain their youth for as long as possible given the narrative.

But a special mention has to be made to Dende. That poor fucker. He went from...

This:
To this:
In the same damn arc.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:20 pm

And the Dende example comes straight from the author.
I can only assume Toriyama forgot about how he drew Dende at the beginning of the arc.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Dende was a likable kid ever since his intro in Namek Arc. Toriyama may have inadvertedly felt Teenage/Adult Dende to have "slightly" low scale in terms of likability. Hence, made him kid again.

Ironically, most of Dende's "active" role occured throughout Boo Arc only when he was a kid. Like, briefly ressurecting Ultimate Gohan, thought of using DragonBall's from his homeworld to ressurect Earth & the key wish to help revitalize Goku's strength during Genki Dama clash

@xeztin

Haha. Yeah. Your right. His actual "character" is as deep as toilet paper. The LEGENDARY POKEMON shtick can only go for so long

Though I'd say his character was genuinely great in the Pokemon 2000 film. Dunno whats the name, but it had Lugia, Moltres, Zapdos & Articuno. Such a great film & Ash for once felt like "world savior" & Chosen One. Which was cool

Also in the Mewtwo & Entei movies. Its been a long time since I've watched them, but I remember the movies presenting Ash Ketchum much better compared to the regular series. Weird...