Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Zombie wrote:The whole base Saiyans > Piccolo stuff was already debunked in BoG. The only reason Gohan could be over him is because of his ultimate state (Or a remnant of it).
Or you can do the opposite and cast doubt on Beerus' claim to begin with.
One reason should probably suffice: Goku never fought Beerus in base. He jumped straight from base to Super Saiyan and could've been suppressing his power up until he went Super Saiyan.

Besides, there'd be conflicting sources anyway: if you go back to the Buu Saga, both manga and anime Vegeta are confident they could beat Piccolo already in base, for one.
In the same TOEI Cinematic Universe - never forget, Dragon Ball Super is a sequel of Dragon Ball Z, Gohan destroys Final Form Freeza with one punch in base form (and before someone else tries to argue that he was Chou Gohan: he wasn't, we have the official timeline for that movie, confront Gohan powering up in the next movie and yadda yadda yadda).
Of course, being an alternate reality, movies are non canon and whatever, but common sense would dictate that Gohan is supposed to be a carbon copy of Mid-Buu Arc Gohan and that Freeza is supposed to be a carbon copy of Namek's Freeza... or if anything stronger.

Now, while in general I advocate the Base Saiyans < Freeza argument, leaving your interpretations on the matter aside, you do understand you may be cherry-picking Beerus' statements over Gohan's feats in base form in the ROF anime because of confirmation bias issues, right?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:11 am

If Ginyu can make a near perfect estimate of Goku's power then I doubt the million years old god of destruction can't do the same.

Freeza was not at full power (No big muscles) in movie 12. The scene can still fit very well.

I don't understand why RoF Gohan is even in the equation with the base Saiyan thing, since:

A) The statement was made about Goku not him.
B) Gohan is not a normal Saiyan.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:11 am

buutenks wrote:Hmm IMO:

Rof

Piccolo=cell jr
Base Gohan=ssj buu arc gohan
ssj gohan=ssj3 goku
Tagoma/Ginyu=SPC/ssj2 kid gohan

Uni6 arc

Piccolo=kid buu/good buu
Gohan=Ultimate gohan(no need to go ssj to tap in that power due to being now in shape)
Goku=ssj3 /ssj goku=ssj1 vegetto/ssj blue=90% of Beerus
Frost=ssj3 gotenks

Thats my opinion for now.

I see no reason to place base goku at buuhan or close to vegetto's level.

My opinion can change depending on what new stuff is released.
Base goku was >= FINAL FORM FREEZA, while first form freeza was massively above SS gohan. How the hell can base goku be = RoF SS gohan?

also, on goku's base vs freeza debate:
Goku agreed with beerus. I don't think anything else is needed.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am

Zombie wrote:If Ginyu can make a near perfect estimate of Goku's power then I doubt the million years old god of destruction can't do the same.

Freeza was not at full power (No big muscles) in movie 12. The scene can still fit very well.

I don't understand why RoF Gohan is even in the equation with the base Saiyan thing, since:

A) The statement was made about Goku not him.
B) Gohan is not a normal Saiyan.
It really doesn't fit as well as you are making it sound.
Gohan destroys Freeza with one punch. That alone is supposed to show that Gohan is at the very least *1.25 at full power in Base if you value some kind of coherence in the power scaling.
And are you 100% sure that Beerus even knows about Freeza can go up to 120,000,000? Freeza only uses that form when fighting, so unless he has seen Freeza fighting at 100% - which is a power-stressed form he uses only when the needs arises - he would really just refer to his Fourth Form, which is definitely his more au naturel form.

But yeah, for the sake of your argument, let's say he is referring to "120,000,000". There's another problem: it's doubtful Freeza can really control ki without transformations (on the contrary: he uses those "reduced power forms" because he can't), so he must be at 90,000,000 or higher if he had trained (in GT). Gohan needs at least to be 90 * 1,25 = 112,5. If he's even using his full power against Freeza (another issue, he may or may not be).
You may say "alright, that's still weaker. But we are talking about Goku, needless to say, in the anime is still supposed to be leaps and bounds above Gohan in the same state. Not even mentioning that, again, in the anime, his Super Saiyan 3 is already stronger than the Chou Form if we take the comparisons made at face value.

You see? Even by lowballing everyone you nearly can't escape the Base Saiyans > Freeza in movie 12.
Nothing "fits" already in the TOEI universe. Until you realize that Super is supposed to follow their framework and not necessarily the impression you get by reading the manga you'll always end up with these supposed "discrepancies" which may not be discrepancies at all.
on goku's base vs freeza debate:
Goku agreed with beerus. I don't think anything else is needed.
It would be needed if you wanted absolute conclusiveness, which is something entirely lacking since we are missing Beerus words about fighting a Base Goku who is exerting himself. We know that Goku has perfect control over his ki, if he's not fighting he can bring ki down. Since he's just seen training "lightly" in movie, anime and manga, Goku could be at 20% or 30% for all we know.

There's the flaw in this entire argument. You are saying Goku can't be suppressed and can't agree he may not be stronger than Freeza in his suppressed state.
I may go on with saying the Vegeta argument carries more weight than Beerus' in the Buu Saga, because he has sufficient knowledge about both Piccolo and himself.
You know, there is a thin line between saying a theory is more foolproof than another or, say you are more inclined to believe a theory and just dismissing something debatable as undebatable. You want to take Beerus' word for confirmation that Goku < Freeza? Okidoki, fine, legitimate, but your mileage may vary.

I don't even like the Base > Freeza theory, and I prefer to keep the guys weaker than Freeza. But this whole "thou shall accept Beerus' word on the matter as the Bible. Oh, btw, Vegeta is overestimating himself just because in the Buu Saga, Goku is for sure at 100% when he meets Beerus just because, and Base Gohan is casually weaker than Final Form Freeza even in the Movie Universe just because" is silly.

But let's go deeper, shall we? If you wanted to take Beerus' words at face-value he's implying Super Saiyan Goku may barely be able to beat Freeza ("Oh, I see, you may be able to beat Freeza in that state"), when Super Saiyan Goku can at the very least take on Perfect Cell at that point.

Goku (suppressed, he isn't even fighting; no aura at all) = 1,000,000
Beerus feels Goku's ki: "hey, how come you are far weaker than Freeza?".

Goku (base) = 500,000,000 -> can curbstomp Final Form Freeza better than Gohan, in TOEI's eyes.
Goku (SS) = 25,000,000,000
Beerus: "Oh, I guess you could beat Freeza like that, right?".

Which is just Beerus being uninterested: we know for a fact that Goku is massively stronger than Freeza in SS form by the time of the Cell Saga, so he is just downplaying his strenght anyway. Or maybe Goku is suppressed in his Super Saiyan form anyway and he's barely above Freeza because he doesn't know Beerus strenght at the time the comment takes place.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:45 am

Beerus implies something more like: "Looking at you now, I can see how you managed to defeat Freeza, but that's probably the best you can do", meaning Super Saiyan Goku can't defeat Beerus.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:18 am

Hugo Boss wrote:Beerus implies something more like: "Looking at you now, I can see how you managed to defeat Freeza, but that's probably the best you can do", meaning Super Saiyan Goku can't defeat Beerus.
Indeed. Well, tracking all the quotes, translations and all their supposed implications is quite tricky with three different sources, but yeah, it would be fairer to say Beerus automatically puts Super Saiyan Goku above Freeza and only doubts Base Goku's prowess.

In any way, the lenghty post above was just to reiterate the concept that both "Base > Freeza" and "Base < Freeza" theories have some credibility to them but are ultimately inconclusive, especially if you try to make both the anime and the manga fit together.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 pm

That scene with beerus saying goku cant beat freeza in base was shown for a reason.

Bog base goku is below namek saga freeza.

Also what does gohan one shotting freeza in the fusion movie have anything to do here?
apex_pretador wrote: Base goku was >= FINAL FORM FREEZA, while first form freeza was massively above SS gohan. How the hell can base goku be = RoF SS gohan?
Well i doubt the diff between first form freeza and final form is similar to namek. So the difference would be small.

Still i may have made some mistakes.

So perhaps final form freeza/base goku r more along the line of buuhan level and ss gohan from rof on good buu's level,between ssj2 and ssj3.
Last edited by buutenks on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:40 pm

buutenks wrote:That scene with beerus saying goku cant beat freeza in base was shown for a reason (the reason being) Bog base goku is below namek saga freeza.
And that's your opinion, which happens to be the opinion of the majority of people who watched that scene. I may argue they put that scene to remark Goku is weaker than Freeza if in base and if he doesn't power up in base.
Also what does gohan one shotting freeza in the fusion movie have anything to do here?
I myself remarked that movies are parallel universes, but would you seriously say we are supposed to take that Gohan and that Freeza as vastly different, power-wise, than those of the main anime continuity (which, again, is the universe in which the Dragon Ball Super anime is supposed to take place)?
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:44 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:
buutenks wrote:That scene with beerus saying goku cant beat freeza in base was shown for a reason (the reason being) Bog base goku is below namek saga freeza.
And that's your opinion, which happens to be the opinion of the majority of people who watched that scene.
I myself said that movies are parallel universe, but would you seriously say we are supposed to take that Gohan and that Freeza as vastly different, power-wise, than those of the main anime continuity (which, again, is the universe in which the Dragon Ball Super anime is supposed to take place)?
During that time line trunks and goten already know fusion and vegeta is dead, so most likely that is ultimate gohan not pre buu awakening gohan.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Why would that line be put in every single time in all forms of media, if we are not supposed to take it as fact? Jesus, with you people, Toriyama could literally have Freeza at 100% full power, wish on the Dragon Balls to restrict Goku from ever transforming, fight and defeat him in base, and you would still believe Goku's base is above Freeza.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

buutenks wrote:
LowRyder2005 wrote:
And that's your opinion, which happens to be the opinion of the majority of people who watched that scene.
I myself said that movies are parallel universe, but would you seriously say we are supposed to take that Gohan and that Freeza as vastly different, power-wise, than those of the main anime continuity (which, again, is the universe in which the Dragon Ball Super anime is supposed to take place)?
During that time line trunks and goten already know fusion and vegeta is dead, so most likely that is ultimate gohan not pre buu awakening gohan.
I would've appreciated greatly if you could've taken my word for true. Anyway, no:

* Movie 12 aired before Chou Gohan was ever showed in the anime; it aired, exactly, between episode 258 and 259. Super Buu vs. Gotenks. Common sense says it's supposed to be the same Gohan of that particular time: and no, he hadn't unlock the power yet (it happens at the end of episode 262, which aired almost two months after).
* Gohan doesn't power up before or after attacking Freeza in the slightest.
* Confront Gohan's eyes with Ultimate Gohan's eyes.
* Confront Gohan powering up in Movie 13 and the effects it has on his surroundings (he destroys quite some stuff by the simple act of throwing a kiai).

Movie 12:

Movie 13:
Why would that line be put in every single time in all forms of media, if we are not supposed to take it as fact? Jesus, with you people, Toriyama could literally have Freeza at 100% full power, wish on the Dragon Balls to restrict Goku from ever transforming, fight and defeat him in base, and you would still believe Goku's base is above Freeza.
... W-Wha? You do understand I'm one of those who actually prefers the Base < Freeza explanation, right?

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:03 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:

I would've appreciated greatly if you could've taken my word for true. Anyway, no:

* Movie 12 aired before Chou Gohan was ever showed in the anime; it aired, exactly, between episode 258 and 259. Super Buu vs. Gotenks. Common sense says it's supposed to be the same Gohan of that particular time: and no, he hadn't unlock the power yet (it happens at the end of episode 262, which aired almost two months after).
* Gohan doesn't power up before or after attacking Freeza in the slightest.
* Confront Gohan's eyes with Ultimate Gohan's eyes.
* Confront Gohan powering up in Movie 13 and the effects is has on his surroundings (he destroys quite some stuff by the simple act of throwing a kiai).

Movie 12:

Movie 13:
Or perhaps the movie creators knew that gohan will become strong?
... W-Wha? You do understand I'm one of those who actually prefers the Base < Freeza explanation, right?
So why are you arguing against it then?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:06 pm

singsing wrote:Why would that line be put in every single time in all forms of media, if we are not supposed to take it as fact? Jesus, with you people, Toriyama could literally have Freeza at 100% full power, wish on the Dragon Balls to restrict Goku from ever transforming, fight and defeat him in base, and you would still believe Goku's base is above Freeza.
Of course, I for one just prefer to have it shown, but they really care about base form so little to not even have Goku bother with his base form against Beerus, which says it all, really.

Anyways I still don't believe Frost is anywhere near God level, but he's apparently Uni 6's strongest hand to hand fighter :think:

As of now I view the competitors to lie in these tiers:

Godly Tier: Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

Tier 1: Super Saiyan.
Tier 2: Final Form Frost.
Tier 3: Assault Form Frost, Magetta & Base Saiyan.
Tier 4: First Form Frost & Piccolo.
Tier 5: Botamo.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:15 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
singsing wrote:Why would that line be put in every single time in all forms of media, if we are not supposed to take it as fact? Jesus, with you people, Toriyama could literally have Freeza at 100% full power, wish on the Dragon Balls to restrict Goku from ever transforming, fight and defeat him in base, and you would still believe Goku's base is above Freeza.
Of course, I for one just prefer to have it shown, but they really care about base form so little to not even have Goku bother with his base form against Beerus, which says it all, really.

Anyways I still don't believe Frost is anywhere near God level, but he's apparently Uni 6's strongest hand to hand fighter :think:

As of now I view the competitors to lie in these tiers:

Godly Tier: Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

Tier 1: Super Saiyan.
Tier 2: Final Form Frost.
Tier 3: Assault Form Frost, Magetta & Base Saiyan.
Tier 4: First Form Frost & Piccolo.
Tier 5: Botamo.
Piccolo has to be between Tier 3 and Tier 2 but closer to Tier 2 because of what he did.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Or perhaps he was actually Super Saiyan 4 and we missed it.
Seriously, it's fine if you want to believe that Gohan is Chou in movie 12, I can't force you to agree with me and it's not my intention to try to do so, but your line of reasoning is dangerously venturing in the "troll logic" zone. How do you infer that particular Gohan is supposed to be Chou when everything goes against it?

Visual cues? He's in base.
Anime chronology? He's in base.
Confront it with the movie that takes place immediately after? He's in base in one, he's Ultimate in another one.

Oh, but the producers knew he was going to appear as Chou Gohan one month later, so they simply meant to portray that Base Gohan as a placeholder for Ultimate. If anything, I would start with a "Freeza became weaker in Hell/ because of his stay in Hell" argument.
So why are you arguing against it then?
Because to me it's a matter of being intellectually honest, backing up stuff with concrete evidence, avoid confirmation bias and and avoid cherry-picking. You're acting like this Goku < Freeza is Word of God (of Destruction), but at the end of the day is at most a "big hint" that Goku may be inferior to Freeza.
People getting nervous or acting like it's an obvious impossibility if another guy is saying that in his opinion Goku is above Freeza and Piccolo in base is not what I'd call refreshing for any kind of discussion.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:26 pm

meh its impossible to tell how strong piccolo has gotten and how strong frost is.

Its impossible to tell how strong base goku is actually.

Tho i guess we can definitely say base goku is definitely above his ssj3 self, but by how much? no idea.
LowRyder2005 wrote:
Or perhaps he was actually Super Saiyan 4 and we missed it.
Seriously, it's fine if you want to believe that Gohan, I can't force you to agree with me and it's not my intention to try to do so, but your line of reasoning is dangerously venturing in the "troll logic" zone. How do you infer that particular Gohan is supposed to be Chou when everything goes against it?

Visual cues? He's in base.
Anime chronology? He's in base.
Confront it with the movie that takes place immediately after? He's in base in one, he's Ultimate in another one.

Oh, but the producers knew he was going to appear as Chou Gohan one month later, so they simply meant to portray that Base Gohan as a placeholder for Ultimate. If anything, I would start with a "Freeza became weaker in Hell/ because of his stay in Hell" argument.
Well dunno then.

Because to me it's a matter of being intellectually honest, backing up stuff with concrete evidence, avoid confirmation bias and and avoid cherry-picking. You're acting like this Goku < Freeza is Word of God (of Destruction), but at the end of the day is at most a "big hint" that Goku may be inferior to Freeza.
People getting nervous or acting like it's an obvious impossibility if another guy is saying that in his opinion Goku is above Freeza and Piccolo in base is not what I'd call refreshing for any kind of discussion.
Well, most likely buu saga base saiyans were indeed more powerful than freeza and piccolo and 18 perhaps, but toriyama decided to change that with BOG.

We have vegeta's confidence he can win and the kili PL reading.

Yakon being 800 and ssj goku being 3 k and base goku being 1 k judging from that little skirmish base goku had with yakon.

Considering 3 k kili ssj1 goku is close in power to FP perfect cell, then obviously his 1k kili base would be above 18 and possibly above even piccolo.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:40 pm

People forget that Gohan in movie 12 is most likely post Z sword Gohan. He should be able to one shot even 50% Freeza.

I would put Piccolo in tier 3 or even in 3.5 tier. Piccolo was weaker but not worlds apart from Frost and Weakened Final form Frost should be over his Assault form by a significant amount.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:56 pm

buutenks wrote:Well, most likely buu saga base saiyans were indeed more powerful than freeza and piccolo and 18 perhaps, but toriyama decided to change that with BOG.

We have vegeta's confidence he can win and the kili PL reading.

Yakon being 800 and ssj goku being 3 k and base goku being 1 k judging from that little skirmish base goku had with yakon.

Considering 3 k kili ssj1 goku is close in power to FP perfect cell, then obviously his 1k kili base would be above 18 and possibly above even piccolo.
Yeah, that's what I believe too(Goku even thought himself a 1,000, when he was contemplating merging with Mr. Satan :P ).

About Piccolo... As a rule, since this is the Goku & Vegeta show™ everyone is below any of their forms until clearly proven otherwise :P Toei ramping up the videogame logic does not really convince me, when Piccolo's supposed training gains have yet to be commented on.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 pm

@Zombie: Sure, the point here is that we are left with the impression that Gohan can roflstomp his Fourth Form in base in Movie 12 just as we are left with the impression that it's doubtful Goku can beat Freeza in base according to Beerus in Super-related material.

You already have contradicting sources, and you can raise objections about the univocal validity of both, that's why "Base vs. Freeza" is still an open debate.

It was the term "debunked" that was out of place. You can't have "debunked" something if you can still properly debate about that something.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:07 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:@Zombie: Sure, the point here is that we are left with the impression that Gohan can roflstomp his Fourth Form in base in Movie 12 just as we are left with the impression that it's doubtful Goku can beat Freeza in base according to Beerus in Super-related material.

You already have contradicting sources, and you can raise objections about the univocal validity of both, that's why "Base vs. Freeza" is still an open debate.

It was the term "debunked" that was out of place. You can't have "debunked" something if you can still properly debate about that something.
Well not really contradicting.

Since super(or bog movie, which ever u prefer) is cannon, while that movie isnt.

its similar to ssj3 goku fighting buutenks, while in the manga goku says even he and vegeta cannot possibly win against super buu who is much weaker than buutenks.

So buutenks should have one hit koed ssj3 goku.

Anyways back to DB super.

I think what we can definitely say is that ss goahn from rof is definitely at or above FP perfect cell.So piccolo by default is already above Fp perfect cell after his training with gohan.

Now current base goku is definitely above his ssj3 self and considering assault form frost did so well against him(even if goku was holding back a bit) and piccolo was able to keep up with final form frost(weakened) id say current piccolo is definitely above ssj3 goku(BOG).
Last edited by buutenks on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.