"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:28 pm

dae428 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Reminder that Toriyama was drawing Dragon Ball originally as a largely black and white manga. He never really had the opportunity to make new forms that took advantage of changing colors (other than changing once to remove shading). There were never different forms that had different hues from one another, which also weren't black.

This recent material is Toriyama's first opportunity, really, to do this sort of design work, since it's largely been made for anime material.

The new forms are certainly minimalistic, but Toriyama's taking advantage of a certain medium for conveying change for the first time.
Doesn't matter to me whether he had the opportunity back then or not. Nor if he had the idea back then or not. Though now lot's and lot's of photoshoppers should never ever get shit ever again :lol:. Whether it's Greyku, Greenku, or Rainbowku.
Honestly, I don't mind as much what the design is as long as the explanation for why it looks like that works. For instance, Ultimate Gohan is basically regular Gohan with serious eyes. However, this works because we know that Gohan has gotten a huge power boost and is now full of confidence. SS Blue is basically just SS but blue, but we know that it's supposed to be SS with God Ki added so personally I think it works just fine. Plus give it some credit. The aura does have a very different look to it compared to regular SS and there is some interesting extra stuff added to how works too like how it has better ki control or something stupid like that. The thing about most of the fan art is that the majority of people who made it just gave Gohan green hair and said that it was SS 5 or something without giving it any proper explanation as to why it's green at all.

Also, at this point I kind of feel like you're just beating a dead horse. I mean you've been saying this over and over again since the Resurrection F movie came out. I don't know about others, but to me it's getting a bit annoying. You make great points on a lot of things, but a lot of times you kind of come across as a cynical asshole no offense. I mean this horse beating has gotten so old that me telling you you're beating a dead horse is now me beating a dead horse.

Also, it really bugs me how you think that people are so stupid that they just mindlessly like something just because it's canon. I find it insulting and very rude. I like SS Blue but I guess I only like it because it's canon.
The aura is such a mess. The color of it is nice, but everything else is so bleh. I don't see a damn difference between a green hair SSJ5 Gohan, and just calling something god or blue. The fanart is literally the same shit this is, and yet for some reason those people are stupid for lazily taking a typical Goku image and changing his hair and clothes. Goku's new outfit has more thought put into it. There's barely any info on it, and when there is, it's utter nonsense from what we've been told earlier. Better ki control for something that heavily drains stamina vs something that literally was trained to have no strain, and be the absolute most natural state closest to base.

I am somewhat of a cynical asshole yes. No denying that. I also have been beating this like a dead horse, as well as other white knights.

It's not out of stupidity. It's out of coping. I'm not saying every single person is guilty of that, but it's definitely something I've noticed. When something is deemed canon, it's slowly must grow on you, or else it'll be something that will forever bug you. Hence coping to either tolerating or liking something. My best comparison is Minus vs EOB. EOB is still shit upon without much change, because it's a what if, so it's very easy to ignore. Minus is still shit on by some, but also more accepted and liked over time. Because in that case there's no ignoring it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Created a new signal to call upon Herms for translations.

(MsDBZBabe helped make it)

"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
The aura is such a mess. The color of it is nice, but everything else is so bleh. I don't see a damn difference between a green hair SSJ5 Gohan, and just calling something god or blue. The fanart is literally the same shit this is, and yet for some reason those people are stupid for lazily taking a typical Goku image and changing his hair and clothes. Goku's new outfit has more thought put into it. There's barely any info on it, and when there is, it's utter nonsense from what we've been told earlier. Better ki control for something that heavily drains stamina vs something that literally was trained to have no strain, and be the absolute most natural state closest to base.

I am somewhat of a cynical asshole yes. No denying that. I also have been beating this like a dead horse, as well as other white knights.

It's not out of stupidity. It's out of coping. I'm not saying every single person is guilty of that, but it's definitely something I've noticed. When something is deemed canon, it's slowly must grow on you, or else it'll be something that will forever bug you. Hence coping to either tolerating or liking something. My best comparison is Minus vs EOB. EOB is still shit upon without much change, because it's a what if, so it's very easy to ignore. Minus is still shit on by some, but also more accepted and liked over time. Because in that case there's no ignoring it.
Regarding your first point. That's really just really a matter of opinion. Personally I think it looks pretty neat. For your second. I've explicitly said why it's different from typical fan art. I will agree with you on the whole weird SS Blue better ki control thing though to some degree. I have my own ideas but I'd rather not get into a head canon debate on this. Personally I was just fine with SS Blue just being SS Blue with god ki. It doesn't need to be complex. After all Dragon Ball for the most part is a pretty simple story.

This whole white knighting thing arguing thing is kind of stupid in my opinion. Sure there are some guys who are just going to defend any critique regardless of how valid it is, but doing the exact opposite isn't necessarily the best option to take. If anything, all you're doing is giving fuel to these people and making things even worse as well as just bugging people in general who happen to just want to have a civil discussion.

Regarding the coping thing. I won't deny that that there may be some truth to this. However, I disagree when you say that Minus has become more liked over time. Maybe it's because I haven't been on the forums as long as you or have seen as much of the forums as you, but the general consensus of Dragon Ball Minus by the majority of people in Kanzenshuu that I've seen was that Dragon Ball Minus sucks for the most part. For me it's just shown how much people only care about whether or not something is good as opposed to whether or not it's canon and by the original author.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:29 pm

dae428 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Regarding your first point. That's really just really a matter of opinion. Personally I think it looks pretty neat. For your second. I've explicitly said why it's different from typical fan art. I will agree with you on the whole weird SS Blue better ki control thing though to some degree. I have my own ideas but I'd rather not get into a head canon debate on this. Personally I was just fine with SS Blue just being SS Blue with god ki. It doesn't need to be complex. After all Dragon Ball for the most part is a pretty simple story.

This whole white knighting thing arguing thing is kind of stupid in my opinion. Sure there are some guys who are just going to defend any critique regardless of how valid it is, but doing the exact opposite isn't necessarily the best option to take. If anything, all you're doing is giving fuel to these people and making things even worse as well as just bugging people in general who happen to just want to have a civil discussion.

Regarding the coping thing. I won't deny that that there may be some truth to this. However, I disagree when you say that Minus has become more liked over time. Maybe it's because I haven't been on the forums as long as you or have seen as much of the forums as you, but the general consensus of Dragon Ball Minus by the majority of people in Kanzenshuu that I've seen was that Dragon Ball Minus sucks for the most part. For me it's just shown how much people only care about whether or not something is good as opposed to whether or not it's canon and by the original author.
I'm not gonna argue with your opinion on that. I'm just going to say while that is your stance, it doesn't convince me it's any different at all. I can put a bunch of back story and info on a photoshopped image, and that's not gonna make it creative or good. Your stance is yours, and I won't take that from you.

I don't see it as bugging. I see it as people heavily upset with anything they like being insulted, when they themselves are not insulted...mostly. Happens all the time. Instead of just brushing it off as a different view, or in some cases a dumb opinion, instead great offense is taken. Can't count the number times people got upset even when a good episode of Super has some nitpicks. But needless to say, I can see how beating a dead horse is for sure aggravating.

I been around. I will say not many people will say it's good. But I do see many people who suddenly think it's passable or at least alright all the sudden. I don't think anyone shifted to calling something they hate to something they love (at least from official stance). I like to check how things are from day 1, to how they are a long time later. Like Battle of Gods. It garnered some love n hate, but got a lot more love over time once it's buzz settled down. I see the same thing for Minus. Once the hype and buzz was gone, and it's looked back upon. The disdain is mostly gone. But for things like say GT or EOB, it's as strong as ever. I don't believe everyone copes, but it's a very very common thing people do when they want to like something, but either hate it, or just aren't quite on board with an idea or concept.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:Created a new signal to call upon Herms for translations.

(MsDBZBabe helped make it)

That is cool but if Herms "er" is supposed to be pronounced like the typical "err" that is in "bird" or bird I would more write it like "Ha-(long)-mu-su" (similiar to how birth or bird in katakana are often written in videogames when making up fictional names, like for example when using the katakana "ri-ba-(long)-su" for "rebirth").
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:28 pm

My theory for episode 40: Hit (The Hitman) kills Goku and gets eliminated. U7 wins and either Mira, Towa, or Trunks shows up in the ring. #DBSGreatness #TooHype

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 pm

my prediction is that hit will win fair and square, but then monaka shows up to ring. Hit then touches his nipples, monaka gets mad boom bitch slap that weakling out the ring.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Seeing SSB+KK is so awesome. Though, I'm still curious. Did anyone ever figure out what the Kaio-ken actually does? Like, I get it. It multiplies his power. That's a given. But by how much? People often say that "Kaio-ken and Kaio-ken x2 are the same and Toriyama just forgot", but I think that's being lazy. I'm sure they're different, they've got to be. So has anyone brainstormed a good multiplier?

I've always assumed it was .5 times your power (adding half of your power back into you), and then each "Kaio-ken x2, x3, etc" simply multiply what the Kaio-ken does.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:36 am

I want Goku to win, because that seems like a unpopular opinion right now...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:52 am

My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:08 am

They were vague from what I remember. Goku unleashed the Kaiouken -> Champa wants to destroy his losing team.

It's possible Goku dies or Monaka fights but that seems way too relevant to omit from a summary. New chapter this week, right?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:00 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I want Goku to win, because that seems like a unpopular opinion right now...
Well everyone was expecting U7 to lose or it will get interrupted by someone. I will be okay if Goku won against Hit since Goku has not won a tournament since his battle with Piccolo during the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:30 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
The aura is such a mess. The color of it is nice, but everything else is so bleh. I don't see a damn difference between a green hair SSJ5 Gohan, and just calling something god or blue. The fanart is literally the same shit this is, and yet for some reason those people are stupid for lazily taking a typical Goku image and changing his hair and clothes.
Because those fan arts sell the new forms as SSJ5/6/10, which implies every transformation after SSJ4 will be a recolor for some reason, with dark eyes, hair going back to that of a previous form, for some reason. With SSB it is just the original transformation but with a different form of power, so it wouldn't make sense for it to look much more different and the color is used just to signify a change. It certainly has more context behind it than the AF bullshit or SSJ4 (red fur, magic pants - no reason) so it is easy to accept it.
Also, yeah, Kaioken is back. It's fanservice. God forbid someone try to make fans of the series happy. It looks better than the stupid shit floating around here before the episode. If anything, it's Super's shitty art style that holds it back.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:01 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I want Goku to win, because that seems like a unpopular opinion right now...
He hasn't won a one on one fight since his battle with Freeza on Namek so I don't see why so many fans are against it, it seems way overdue to me and this would be the perfect chance to let him get that win.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:09 am

Seems majority wants Goku to lose, I wanted him to lose via Hit accidentally killing him but now I want him to win :lol:

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 am

I hope Goku loses,i don't want all of the Universe 6 fighter to lose to Goku and Vegeta,i'd rather have Monaka do something,even if it's just a gag scene.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:35 am

sintzu wrote:
He hasn't won a one on one fight since his battle with Freeza on Namek so I don't see why so many fans are against it, it seems way overdue to me and this would be the perfect chance to let him get that win.
How can Goku win now, he is getting weaker while Hit is getting stronger. I think Hit kills Goku.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 am

Ok I had this idea based on what we've hear about super's future. Now bear in mind I think this theory is both a long shot and very unlikely.

Could Super's next antagonist be a spin on Toyotaro's DBAF character Xicor?

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:37 am

Can someone translate this, please? ^^

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:38 am

Lord Frieza wrote:Ok I had this idea based on what we've hear about super's future. Now bear in mind I think this theory is both a long shot and very unlikely.

Could Super's next antagonist be a spin on Toyotaro's DBAF character Xicor?
Ew. No.
dbzfan7 wrote:Dragon Ball GT was pretty mixed if not well liked back when it was the new thing when I was watching it. It was voted above the original Dragon Ball for a reason. It wasn't til way later til it garnered severe hate.
Same with the Star wars prequels, but those are still canon. Basically, I think it's mainly a matter of denial. People want to like these things so they make themselves believe they do, but as they look back later on they realize their true opinions of it.