"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bonus Stage
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Bonus Stage » Mon May 09, 2016 10:19 am

Well...

Gōruden Furīza = Golden Freeza
Sūpā Saiya-jin Goddo = Super Saiyan God
Gokuu Burakku = Goku Black or Black Goku!?

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon May 09, 2016 10:23 am

sintzu wrote:I was talking about the episodes we'll be getting from now till then, with them not mentioning the...Monaka arc ? I was wondering if it's because it isn't from Toriyama.
They is really no need to mention such slice of life episodes. We already knew many things about it going by the summaries.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon May 09, 2016 10:30 am

SaiyaSith wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
Cetra wrote:With Trunks I cannot wait for new Golden Cell videos. :D
Evil Goku videos will be much worse, because they're most like gonna be true.
I don't know about that. I think there's a better chance 'black Goku' ends up being timebreaker Bardock since Trunks is returning.
I hope so. That would be cool, i guess.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:33 am

This is totally just my headcannons at work, but it would be awesome if Future Trunks reacted to Videl with familiarity, like "Oh you two are involved in this era, too?"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon May 09, 2016 10:36 am

To be honest I don't like this Black Goku one bit... But I'm happy to see Future Trunks again.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

HAIKEN-00
Not-So-Newbie

Post by HAIKEN-00 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 am

jjgp1112 wrote:This is totally just my headcannons at work, but it would be awesome if Future Trunks reacted to Videl with familiarity, like "Oh you two are involved in this era, too?"
That'd be interesting, yet at the same tragic.

Revealing that in his timeline, Gohan actually did get together with Videl just as his counterpart did, but unfortunately she was killed by the androids? Would be something.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 09, 2016 10:44 am

Little did Trunks know at the time that Gohan had a secret family! Future Pan and Future Videl!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 am

CashmanX wrote:https://twitter.com/DetectiveX/status/7 ... 7225041921

Oh man, I hope this leads into what I think it does....
OH GOD YES.

ssj_duelist
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj_duelist » Mon May 09, 2016 10:46 am

Araki wrote:
ssj_duelist wrote:I thin this is the main reason I still prefer GT, it never wrote itself into a corner.
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

In fact, only reason they had the stupid, lame, terrible idea of turning Goku back into a child (and make Vegeta and everyone else weaker) was because they couldn't bother thinking of bigger and credible threats. In what world is that good writing? I'd rather see it writing itself into a corner eventually, if that's the alternative.
The Toriyama fanboy is strong here. I bet if he wrote it, you'd think it was gold.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon May 09, 2016 10:47 am

I'm gonna jump on the "I hope Goku Black is Time Breaker Bardock" boat, actually. I don't mind the idea of a rogue time-travelling demon and her version of Cell picking him out of Freeza's Supernova and doing their whole mind-control thing. No Episode of Bardock, though, please. Besides, what a reveal that would be in-universe! I am wondering, though, if Goku Black is actually linked to that whole Copy-Vegeta thing that'll be happening in Episodes 45 and 46.
Strange how blue DBS Future Trunks' hair is. And the red scarf, too. Makes me wonder if something happened to Future Bulma.

All this focus on Vegeta's family, but no Bulla. Damn! Dx
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon May 09, 2016 10:47 am

Mind you, I haven't kept up much with watching the actual episodes, but having at least kept aware of the general developments to this point, I can say I'm mostly done with Super for awhile now that this Future Trunks arc has been announced. It just feels too gimmicky and cheap for a character whose arc was mostly (and wonderfully) completed, not to mention that having a more "popular" Trunks kills whatever little chance the present Trunks had at character development in favor of exploiting bishy future coolness.

Yawn. Wake me when it's over, or if I'm somehow proven wrong.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 am

Cetra wrote:With Trunks I cannot wait for new Golden Cell videos. :D
Or Cell X...

Ew, I really hate the design of Cell X.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon May 09, 2016 10:50 am

I want to have the knowledge of what happens in the next 3 months.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 am

I'm looking forward to know what will be the personality of this Goku Black is. It would be cool if he have the same childish-kinda dumb personally like Goku, but evil.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

ssj_duelist wrote:The Toriyama fanboy is strong here. I bet if he wrote it, you'd think it was gold.
I'm never going to fully understand the 'Meh, if Toriyama wrote it you guys all automatically accept it!' argument. I'm sure there are some that take the 'original author is always right' thing too far, but uh, on a surface level, is it really such a bad thing to enjoy output from the guy who kinda created the whole thing? Just saying.

Anyway...

I was going to flip through the entirety of the thread since this news hit, but good lord, you guys wasted no time in making way too many more pages to read through at the moment. :P Might save me some potential headaches at least for now too. For my own thoughts on it though...I'm...reluctantly intrigued, I guess? I've never been a huge fan of Future Trunks, even when he first appeared. He's a good character, and certainly more virtuous than like...every single other member of the cast. He's just never really resonated with me that strongly, so I'm kind of neutral on his return, on it's face anyway. If something really interesting comes of it though, then I'm all for it.

That 'interesting' thing potentially being an evil Goku, though? ...Ehhh...*head tilt followed by a shrug* I'm not opposed to the idea I guess, I'm a believer that just about any idea can be carried out well if it's executed well enough...but...this does feel a little...gimmicky. And while arguments have already been levied against the newer material for 'taking ideas from longstanding fanfiction ones' before, they have always been coincidental similarities at best. This one though is uh, pretty on the nose. There have been evil Goku ideas as far back as I can remember. So yeah, not really feeling the idea, and kind of hoping there's more to it than there appears to be, and even if there's not I'll wait until we actually have stuff to work with to make a final call - but reaaaaaallllyyyy feeling skeptical on this one right now.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

HAIKEN-00
Not-So-Newbie

Post by HAIKEN-00 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

I'd prefer this Goku Black to be more similar to Kid Buu, in the sense that he doesn't have desire to rule over the universe nor does he enjoy the suffering of others - but instead destroys because he finds it fun. This would be the opposite of Goku, who fights for he thrill, and has no intentions of ruling over anything.
Last edited by HAIKEN-00 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am

He travels back in time to warn the Z Fighters that they're about to embark on a fan fic journey to sell new merchandise.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 am

HAIKEN-00 wrote:
SaiyaSith wrote:And I hope Mira and Towa are in it because it's too good of a storyline not to put in DBS.
It would knock originality out of the window, but Toriyama doesn't seem to have a problem with that based on these latest reveals.
Why all the whining about it? The Time Breakers plot is pretty cool, in my opinion. Probably the best thing that happened in DB universe since it ended in 1997. So many options. Those villains are strong and have an interesting goal to achieve.

With all this thing about Zeno and the Hakaishin, Demigra is probably the only interesting villain that could threat everybody for real. The guy wants to control the time and space, for god's sake.
CashmanX wrote:https://twitter.com/DetectiveX/status/7 ... 7225041921

Oh man, I hope this leads into what I think it does....
Holly Christ. Now I'm hyped.

I really hope Black Goku is Evil Bardock. Not this (more like a GT plot, it seems):
macho_man wrote:Black Goku? Maybe an evil one?
I've already seen this officially happening in Dragon Ball Heroes promo manga. I wonder if this will be in some way similar...
Can someone translate this, if it's not too much trouble, please? Thanks.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon May 09, 2016 11:03 am

ssj_duelist wrote:
Araki wrote:
ssj_duelist wrote:I thin this is the main reason I still prefer GT, it never wrote itself into a corner.
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

In fact, only reason they had the stupid, lame, terrible idea of turning Goku back into a child (and make Vegeta and everyone else weaker) was because they couldn't bother thinking of bigger and credible threats. In what world is that good writing? I'd rather see it writing itself into a corner eventually, if that's the alternative.
The Toriyama fanboy is strong here. I bet if he wrote it, you'd think it was gold.
Yeah its clear the poster hasn't even watched GT as making Goku a child had no effect on his power at all. Therefore things were not (more threatening) because he was a child and he would have had the same difficulty with the exception of stamina if he were an adult.
In GT the writers knew it would be pretty unrealistic to have random biological beings in the universe that are stronger when Frieza was the stated to be the strongest natural being in the Galaxy and Buu the singular strongest magical being. In Super, once they hit a wall of "Ultimate Power" even in its own series, rather than respecting it they escalate it a tier to the point where anyone actually being stronger cannot possibly make sense. But, I'm the resident GT defense force so I readily admit my bias.

HAIKEN-00
Not-So-Newbie

Post by HAIKEN-00 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:09 am

PMD wrote:Why all the whining about it? The Time Breakers plot is pretty cool, in my opinion. Probably the best thing that happened in DB universe since it ended in 1997. So many options. Those villains are strong and have an interesting goal to achieve.
Obviously by the fact that all that ISN'T new. It's something most of us have seen before - and it also proves that Toriyama has simply run out of ideas.