Anyone know where I can download the Dragonball manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SethaWetha

Anyone know where I can download the Dragonball manga?

Post by SethaWetha » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

Hi. I downloaded a Manga Reader app on my iPod and I have been reading Dragon Ball ever since. Everything was all fine and dandy, until chapter 92 where it just looked the complete trash. I skimmed ahead 100 chapters at a time, and it never stops looking like garbage. Anyone know where I can download all the chapters with an accurate tranlation that looks nice aswell? Preferably on an iOS app with all the chapters. Thanks!

P.S. I want one with the original names. Like Buruma, Kurinin, Taopaipai, Gokuu, ect. (They bad chapters call him Tao-Pie-Pie...)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Anyone know where I can download the Dragonball manga?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 11, 2016 11:26 am

Kanzenshuu does not support piracy of readily/widely-available, licensed material. The manga is available in English from Viz, both in print and digitally.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SethaWetha

Post by SethaWetha » Wed May 11, 2016 11:58 am

Oh. I didn't know it was piracy. :( Where exactly can I get it legally without anything wrong? I'm sorry. :(

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

SethaWetha wrote:Oh. I didn't know it was piracy. :( Where exactly can I get it legally without anything wrong? I'm sorry. :(
Amazon sells each volume for 4.50$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm

SethaWetha wrote:Oh. I didn't know it was piracy. :( Where exactly can I get it legally without anything wrong? I'm sorry. :(
Viz has an app for iOS and Android that's free to download. From there just open the app and find the manga you want to read, buy it, and it will become available to view in the app itself under "my library".

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Thu May 12, 2016 7:34 am

The digital version of the series is also available on Comixology. They did a sale last year with all of Dragon Ball, the three Saiyan Full Color Volumes, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, and Kintoki in one bundle for really cheap, I think it was maybe $100? I think Dr. Slump was a separate bundle, but I forget. I do know I bought both and have access to crystal clear digital versions on my iPad whenever I want now. I'd watch out for another sale in the future.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 pm

chaosyoshimage wrote:The digital version of the series is also available on Comixology. They did a sale last year with all of Dragon Ball, the three Saiyan Full Color Volumes, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, and Kintoki in one bundle for really cheap, I think it was maybe $100? I think Dr. Slump was a separate bundle, but I forget. I do know I bought both and have access to crystal clear digital versions on my iPad whenever I want now. I'd watch out for another sale in the future.
I just got a few of these myself this week. Using Amazon and buying it through Comixology (I will warn the prices are different... it was cheaper for me to buy it via Amazon's website instead of the main Comixology website).

I decided to go the digital route myself. I can read/view it in a browser (which is actually decent)... or a Kindle/iPad app (I use the iPad as well).

Quality seems to be fine. This a single screenshot taken via my iPad. (Click it for full resolution)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri May 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Yeah, if you want the most economical option (and don't want to wait however long until Viz decides to do bundles again) definitely buy from Amazon, since that gets you both Kindle and Comixology versions:
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Issue ... 011M9EPXU/
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Issue ... 018844N3O/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/series/B01884K6TO/
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Full ... B01D0OV3YE

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 pm

ect5150 wrote:
chaosyoshimage wrote:The digital version of the series is also available on Comixology. They did a sale last year with all of Dragon Ball, the three Saiyan Full Color Volumes, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, and Kintoki in one bundle for really cheap, I think it was maybe $100? I think Dr. Slump was a separate bundle, but I forget. I do know I bought both and have access to crystal clear digital versions on my iPad whenever I want now. I'd watch out for another sale in the future.
I just got a few of these myself this week. Using Amazon and buying it through Comixology (I will warn the prices are different... it was cheaper for me to buy it via Amazon's website instead of the main Comixology website).

I decided to go the digital route myself. I can read/view it in a browser (which is actually decent)... or a Kindle/iPad app (I use the iPad as well).

Quality seems to be fine. This a single screenshot taken via my iPad. (Click it for full resolution)
:wtf: I wasn't even aware Viz had reached the Freeza arc for the color manga
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat May 14, 2016 2:20 am

I would recommend not buying digital manga from Viz directly.

I'll pull up old comparisons I did if necessary, but various manga on Viz's own storefront are relatively lower in quality than from other storefronts.

I could guess at the reason for this, but few of the answers I can guess at make sense when you realize this has been a long term issue. The comparisons I've been able to do are limited since obviously to do any comparison at all I have to own a single volume at various storefronts, so I can't speak to Dragon Ball itself... but based on what I've seen with other content it SEEMS to be consistent.

If you want the best overall experience with Viz released manga digitally, buy from Comixology or Amazon, and read using the Comixology app for your chosen device.

Keep an eye on prices (a few members mention Amazon/Comixology prices and purchase details above). Often there will be sales on digital stuff, and also, most (but not all) digital content you can buy at Amazon for comics and manga will sync to Comixology (the pages on Amazon make it clear if a single item will.) Amazon will often sell things cheaper than Comixology, and the sync to Comixology requires quite literally no effort. The current prices on Amazon aren't at the historical low for the manga digitally (the special bundle Comixology last year is still that.) But minus that bundle showing up again, it's unlikely to go lower on a normal basis (the current prices on Amazon are cheaper than Viz tends to put things on sale for, minus their special bundles.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:59 am

MarcFBR wrote:and read using the Comixology app for your chosen device.
By the way, for those that don't know... Comixology will let you create an account and put a few "free" comics onto your account. This way you can try before you buy essentially.

Also, for certain comics, they allow you download a DRM-free backup copy in a cbz/cbr format (which is usually just a bunch of jpgs or png files in a zip/rar file). Sadly, Dragon Ball does not support this option (at least the new full color ones -- which is why I started getting them there, thinking it'd always have a backup... but I guess it's a Viz decision to not allow it and I figured it out after the fact)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 14, 2016 2:33 pm

If you have a Japanese 3DS, the e-shop has some rather cheap arc bundles of the digital color edition. Absolutely worth considering if you have the option to.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Sat May 14, 2016 6:51 pm

ect5150 wrote:I just got a few of these myself this week. Using Amazon and buying it through Comixology (I will warn the prices are different... it was cheaper for me to buy it via Amazon's website instead of the main Comixology website).
Oh yeah! I forgot that they sync now! I switched from Viz's site to Amazon for some books a long while ago because of the prices. The fact that they work with the far superior Comixology reader makes them even more of a great deal. So, yeah, unless Comixology has a sale, Amazon is the place to go.