Italy refusing to dub Dragon Ball Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Italy refusing to dub Dragon Ball Kai

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 am

Sooo... I heard that Italy refused to dub DBKai due to the fact that their old dub was great enough. What do you feel about this? I feel that it would have been best if Latin America had refused as well. Our dub is great already after all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dario03
Advanced Regular

Re: Italy refusing to dub Dragon Ball Kai

Post by dario03 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:27 am

Kai isn't just a redub, its like a directors cut except it removed a bunch of extra stuff compared to the usual of adding some stuff. Plus... I'm pretty sure most people think the original Japanese version was pretty great so....

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:31 am

I know it isnt just a redub. But an Italian executive said so. I vividly remember reading about it.

And I know its a directors cut, its just that I prefer the old Z version that Kai replaced.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri May 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:the fact that their old dub was great enough.
It really, really wasn't.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Puto wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:the fact that their old dub was great enough.
It really, really wasn't.
What was wrong with it?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat May 14, 2016 8:27 am

Ridiculous name changes and butchered scripts.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:05 am

Puto wrote:Ridiculous name changes and butchered scripts.
Didn't the italian dub also suffer from the same censorship and edits that were in the french dub? (IIRC the Italian dub was based off the French version and the materials were sourced from said pre-edited version)
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:44 pm

I was under the impression that AB Groupe had no involvement whatsoever in the Italian dub, and that the Italian dub is uncut.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 pm

The italian dub had some mad things in their scripts, with some additional weird scene descriptions from the narrator that doesn't exist in the japanese version, for example. However, it's still better than almost every other european dub that Dragon Ball had - probably because AB Groupe didn't had any envolvment with it.

When we talk about western dubs of the original series, the italian is far from be good as brazilian portuguese or latin american spanish dubs, but it's probably the best european dub, even if is not that great.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:40 pm

How would you compare it to the German dub, which is AB Groupe based but corrects non-filler scenes by using an accurate translation of the manga as a base, or the various Spain dubs when they use Toei Engrish script instead of AB Groupe French?

Last edited by Danfun64 on Sun May 15, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 am

I agree, I would have love if they didn't do Kai in LatinAmerica or used the same old cast instead of doing the massacre they gave us.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun May 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Well, honestly, Kai isn't an offer you can't refuse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Sooooo... just how good is the Italian dub then? Any fans from Italy to defend or deride it?