Comparisons of the DB (Pre-Z) Releases and the Color Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Comparisons of the DB (Pre-Z) Releases and the Color Manga?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Usually the various Dragon Ball releases (Blue Bricks, Saga sets, Banana Bricks, etc.) are compared to the Japanese Dragon Box (afaik the US never had a Dragon Box for pre-Z Dragon Ball). Has anyone done comparisons between all the Dragon Ball releases and the full color manga? Or is anyone willing to show me some?
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Re: Comparisons of the DB (Pre-Z) Releases and the Color Man

Post by Tyro » Mon May 16, 2016 3:35 pm

So you want comparisons between the various anime releases and FC manga? I can help out on the manga end, but I don't know what insight it will give you other than how things look in the manga. Since they're two different mediums decades apart, as you'd expect there are lots of differences in color choices. Some interesting things are:

* Kame-sennin's house is white (like Toriyama drew for Jump World) instead of blue like the manga or pink like the anime.
* Karin is white like the anime portrays him instead of blue with a white snout from the manga or brown like the special illustrations.
* The Kamehameha is yellow, as are most ki techniques, instead of blue like in the anime. The only time it's fully colored in the manga it is pure white like the SS aura.
* The Nyoibo has a purple sheath.
* The first two chapters of the FC manga pay homage to the original colors used by Toriyama. Blooma has blue-green hair and Goku has a purple dogi. In the manga these things are permanently changed starting in chapter 003, and it's the same in the FC manga.
* Kintoun is yellow like the anime, whereas it's mostly purple in the manga, though not 100% consistently like Blooma's hair and Goku's dogi after chapter 003.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: Comparisons of the DB (Pre-Z) Releases and the Color Man

Post by xmysticgohanx » Mon May 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Tyro wrote:So you want comparisons between the various anime releases and FC manga? I can help out on the manga end, but I don't know what insight it will give you other than how things look in the manga. Since they're two different mediums decades apart, as you'd expect there are lots of differences in color choices. Some interesting things are:

* Kame-sennin's house is white (like Toriyama drew for Jump World) instead of blue like the manga or pink like the anime.
* Karin is white like the anime portrays him instead of blue with a white snout from the manga or brown like the special illustrations.
* The Kamehameha is yellow, as are most ki techniques, instead of blue like in the anime. The only time it's fully colored in the manga it is pure white like the SS aura.
* The Nyoibo has a purple sheath.
* The first two chapters of the FC manga pay homage to the original colors used by Toriyama. Blooma has blue-green hair and Goku has a purple dogi. In the manga these things are permanently changed starting in chapter 003, and it's the same in the FC manga.
* Kintoun is yellow like the anime, whereas it's mostly purple in the manga, though not 100% consistently like Blooma's hair and Goku's dogi after chapter 003.
I just want to how different everything looks lol. For example, Release A can have blueish green sky, Release B a blue sky, and Release C a green sky. If the FC manga had a blue sky during those scenes, Release B would win there.

I'm aware no release will be 100% correct (or even 75%) but I'm sure there is one that is noticeably closer than the others.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks