Why is Broly popular?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why is Broly popular?

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed May 18, 2016 1:32 pm

most of people see him as the most badass character ever , thats why :yawn:
My English is poor .

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 am

ABED wrote:It didn't suck, it wasn't as compelling just on the basis of him already being a SSJ before Gohan died, but it didn't suck.
It did suck, it didn't show any of the fights, it was just a collection of events and nothing new happened other than the stuff we already knew when Trunks talked about it before.
Again - different opinions, that's awesome.

MajinBrolyYamcha

Post by MajinBrolyYamcha » Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 pm

The Reason broly is popular, it is because he is the ssj version of hulk.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 20, 2016 7:29 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:It didn't suck, it wasn't as compelling just on the basis of him already being a SSJ before Gohan died, but it didn't suck.
It did suck, it didn't show any of the fights, it was just a collection of events and nothing new happened other than the stuff we already knew when Trunks talked about it before.
Again - different opinions, that's awesome.
Telling and showing are two different things. Yeah, Trunks told us, but the manga shows it, not the fights, but we see the world and the Cyborg's cruelty. It's not a collection of events, it's a story where the action is mostly implied. It's short, but it doesn't suck. There doesn't seem to ever be a middle ground with you. Things either fucking suck or are fucking amazing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 am

That special chapter sucks, it's just a collection of events - and all those events Trunks revealed to Goku. That special chapter is comparable to DB-.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri May 20, 2016 4:11 pm

I liked RoF, I liked Dragon Ball Minus. I understand who don't liked RoF, but I can't see any problem in DB-. I would like to see your thoughts, if possible

I can't see Broly as a good character. He's overpowered and just overpowered. His backstory is lame. "oh but he is destined to fight goku" I can't buy it. Goku just cried a lot and didn't let baby Broly sleep. That's all
I'm ok with Paragus using his son as an destruction tool. The movie plot is fine. Goku-Broly rivalry is just forced and lame. Even in movie 8 we had A LOT of "KAKARROT" moments. He has a conscience? Only if he's in LSSJ form, and we had just a few lines. Although I can mentalize everything being rewritten and being a lot better, but just my opinion
His design is great, as his moves. I like him in the games. He's like some kind of Akuma

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Ikazvyr wrote: "oh but he is destined to fight goku" I can't buy it. Goku just cried a lot and didn't let baby Broly sleep. That's all
You don't think it makes sense for it to be fate, but you think it makes sense for it all to be just because Goku cried as a baby...?

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Neither. Actualy, It's just nonsense

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Ikazvyr wrote:Neither. Actualy, It's just nonsense
You think that the guys making the movie and the story were just adding random things, then?

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri May 20, 2016 5:22 pm

I wouldn't say "random", but there is a crucial fact: the whole movie have 71 min. Let's ignore opening and ending, and we could say 35 were plot development, 35 minutes were fighting. There's no way to develop a whole story in just 30 minutes, because something will be missing (and this is a problem is every DBZ movie, although BoG and RoF worked better that aspect). So, M8 just threw some facts in our faces, added a situation and barely worked the plot, giving some attention just to the fight (and that's the part there's no sins. Fighting for half an hour? That's a LOT of action)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Look, imo, they obviously had a certain intent with what they showed and the story. And that was either being fate, or Goku making someone crazy with his baby cries or just pure nonsense. Of those possibilities, it's clear to me that being fate makes much more sense and is far more likely to be what they were going for than the other two, even if we don't like any of them.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 21, 2016 8:32 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:The cringe.
Why? Because i love Broli?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 am

Ikazvyr wrote:I wouldn't say "random", but there is a crucial fact: the whole movie have 71 min. Let's ignore opening and ending, and we could say 35 were plot development, 35 minutes were fighting. There's no way to develop a whole story in just 30 minutes, because something will be missing (and this is a problem is every DBZ movie, although BoG and RoF worked better that aspect). So, M8 just threw some facts in our faces, added a situation and barely worked the plot, giving some attention just to the fight (and that's the part there's no sins. Fighting for half an hour? That's a LOT of action)
Where did you get the idea that you can't develop a whole story in 30 minutes? The plot in the movie isn't complex. Someone who felt betrayed wants revenge so he sets out to get revenge on the son of the man he deems responsible, but his son's rage gets the better of him. It's not a great story and I'm not sure how the slavery subplot helps the A-story, but the plot works because it's simple, not as simple as it could have been, but not overly complex.
it's just a collection of events - and all those events Trunks revealed to Goku
With one leading to the other, it's a plot. The events aren't disconnected from each other. We see the story, we aren't told. It's not mere exposition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 am

ABED wrote: With one leading to the other, it's a plot. The events aren't disconnected from each other. We see the story, we aren't told. It's not mere exposition.
It's a pretty boring and needless chapter, nothing new was revealed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 21, 2016 9:25 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote: With one leading to the other, it's a plot. The events aren't disconnected from each other. We see the story, we aren't told. It's not mere exposition.
It's a pretty boring and needless chapter, nothing new was revealed.
Dragon Ball isn't a plot heavy story with tons of twists and turns. The chapter was a short story that had good execution and SHOWED why Trunks left. I can see why anyone would want to see the fights, but it's not a terrible chapter.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:28 am

It's a terrible chapter, in my opinion. There was no reason for it to SHOW anything, because Trunks already TOLD everything.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 21, 2016 9:36 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:It's a terrible chapter, in my opinion. There was no reason for it to SHOW anything, because Trunks already TOLD everything.
In fiction you show. Haven't you ever heard the term "show, don't tell"? Yes, we were told what happened, but it's not concrete for the viewer, it's just telling people what happened. You want to dramatize the most important elements and tell the unimportant and the fight against the Cyborgs in Trunks time, his very reason for leaving should be dramatized (i.e. shown).

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:38 am

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:It's a terrible chapter, in my opinion. There was no reason for it to SHOW anything, because Trunks already TOLD everything.
In fiction you show. Haven't you ever heard the term "show, don't tell"? Yes, we were told what happened, but it's not concrete for the viewer, it's just telling people what happened. You want to dramatize the most important elements and tell the unimportant and the fight against the Cyborgs in Trunks time, his very reason for leaving should be dramatized (i.e. shown).
Nothing new was shown. Toei saved it with great fights and Trunks turning SS upon seeing dead Gohan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Nothing new was shown. Toei saved it with great fights and Trunks turning SS upon seeing dead Gohan.
We SAW the Cyborgs being out for their own pleasure. In the current timeline, we're TOLD they are different. Seeing the difference really brings the point home what Trunks dealt with. Toei didn't save it, it made it better. That's an important distinction.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 am

Toei saved it, the chapter sucks ass, probably the only part of the manga i don't like, it's not even a numbered chapter (1-519), it's just an afterthought.