Saiyan Space Pods

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bagginses
Banned

Saiyan Space Pods

Post by Bagginses » Fri May 06, 2016 2:00 am

I would think that in the, say, 12 years of existence of this forum, this question should have been brought up at least a few times, but nevertheless I will make a new thread for it...

I was just wondering the other day while watching the early Z episodes, how did the Saiyan Space Pods work? How did Vegeta and Nappa eat or drink, let alone go to the bathroom? It would perhaps be excusable if they remained there a short period of time, but the story (both manga and anime) state that the entire trip to Earth took no less than a FULL YEAR. With that time frame the space pods seem to make no logistical sense at all. :lol:

Did Toriyama ever gave an explanation for this?

And, perhaps more relevant, can anyone here think of one? :P

I think that's about all I can say for now. Eager for the responses or possible theories. :D

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Saiyan Space Pods

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:13 am

Suspended animation for long journeys. If the journey is a long enough one, then they can just go to sleep until the computers within the pod detect they're near their intended location, and then brings them out of suspended animation.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 am

Darkprince410 wrote:Suspended animation for long journeys. If the journey is a long enough one, then they can just go to sleep until the computers within the pod detect they're near their intended location, and then brings them out of suspended animation.
Doesn't the Arlia filler even support this, by Vegeta saying he programmed the computer in the Attack Ball to wake them up fr that little detour or something? (It's been a while since I watched it.)
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:49 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Doesn't the Arlia filler even support this, by Vegeta saying he programmed the computer in the Attack Ball to wake them up fr that little detour or something? (It's been a while since I watched it.)
It sounds familiar, but it's been so long since I've seen the Arlia episode either, I couldn't say for certain or not.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri May 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I watched the episode myself to see. You're referring to this, TheDevilsCorpse?

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Sat May 07, 2016 6:54 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:Suspended animation for long journeys. If the journey is a long enough one, then they can just go to sleep until the computers within the pod detect they're near their intended location, and then brings them out of suspended animation.
Doesn't the Arlia filler even support this, by Vegeta saying he programmed the computer in the Attack Ball to wake them up fr that little detour or something? (It's been a while since I watched it.)
Question: does the name ''ATTACK BALL'' appears on the manga?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 07, 2016 7:01 am

Nejishiki wrote:I watched the episode myself to see. You're referring to this, TheDevilsCorpse?
I do beleive so. That, in addition to Vegeta's wake up sequence (if I'm remembering correctly).
Bagginses wrote:Question: does the name ''ATTACK BALL'' appears on the manga?
No, it appears in the Super Exciting Guide. As part of the Toriyama supervised character biographies, under Vegeta's favorite vehicle.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Thu May 12, 2016 2:39 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Bagginses wrote:Question: does the name ''ATTACK BALL'' appears on the manga?
No, it appears in the Super Exciting Guide. As part of the Toriyama supervised character biographies, under Vegeta's favorite vehicle.
Do you also know where the name ''Arlia'' comes from? It does not seem to appear even on this anime filler episode.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 12, 2016 3:05 pm

The name is used in the Daizenshuu for certain, but maybe it appeared in production materials (like the episode script) at first?

I mean, even Funimation got the planet's name right despite it not being mentioned anywhere in the Japanese version of the episode itself.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Fri May 20, 2016 3:46 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The name is used in the Daizenshuu for certain, but maybe it appeared in production materials (like the episode script) at first?

I mean, even Funimation got the planet's name right despite it not being mentioned anywhere in the Japanese version of the episode itself.
I watched the episode from my Dragon Box 1, but I don't have it's respective Dragon Book here with me anymore (I sold it a couple of years ago). Maybe it's mentioned there in the Dragon Book as well? Perhaps someone who actually HAS it (unlike me :P) could confirm that for us...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm

The Dragon Books were made LONG after the series had ended. I don't think they'll provide any real insight into the matter.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Sun May 22, 2016 5:50 am

I know... I was just wondering if the name ''Arlia'' appeared on, say, the summary for DBZ Episode 14 or something. But I don't have the Dragon Book 1 with me, so I can't check for myself...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Well, unless these summaries were the originals written during production of the shown in Japan years ago, I don't see them being much help. But for confirmation's sake, the English version of the book uses the planet's name in the summary.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 pm

So you do possess the first Dragon Book of the American Dragon Box releases?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 24, 2016 12:49 am

Yes. That would be why I said "for confirmation's sake, the English version of the book uses the planet's name in the summary".

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue May 24, 2016 1:05 am

Ohhhhhh ok, sorry. Somehow that slipped through my mind, I don't know how. o_O lol