Would you have ended the franchise ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Would you have ended the franchise ?

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

ABED wrote:[
How is that a different opinion?
What?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Yeah... I haven't watched/read the original Dragon Ball please don't kill me:cry:
Why not ? did you just get into the franchise ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:There is also that original Dragon Ball part, that comes before Z and makes up 37% of the original manga.
Yeah... I haven't watched/read the original Dragon Ball please don't kill me :cry:
Well, you should. It's a common practice to start the story from the beginning.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:18 pm

sintzu wrote:Why not ? did you just get into the franchise ?
No. I've known about the series since always, starting with Supersonic Warriors on the Game Boy Advance. Eventually I watched Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, followed by GT, and as of recently I've been watching the original Dragon Ball Z (FUNimation of course) and rewatching GT. Never really had much of an interest in the original anime, that and it's TV-14 opposed to Z and GT which are TV-PG. But I do want to read the Dragon Ball Z manga soon. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
What?
You said I had a different opinion, how is this different?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:. Never really had much of an interest in the original anime, that and it's TV-14 opposed to Z and GT which are TV-PG. But I do want to read the Dragon Ball Z manga soon. :P
Well you should watch the first half of the original series you are missing a lot of the story. And there is no such thing as a Dragon Ball Z manga it is called Dragon Ball.

- Travis

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
sintzu wrote:Why not ? did you just get into the franchise ?
No. I've known about the series since always, starting with Supersonic Warriors on the Game Boy Advance. Eventually I watched Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, followed by GT, and as of recently I've been watching the original Dragon Ball Z (FUNimation of course) and rewatching GT. Never really had much of an interest in the original anime, that and it's TV-14 opposed to Z and GT which are TV-PG. But I do want to read the Dragon Ball Z manga soon. :P
What? Original Dragon Ball has the same sex jokes and later brutal fighting as Z. You should also check out Japanese version. It's all one story, one manga, and you're missing a large part of it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:02 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
What?
You said I had a different opinion, how is this different?
Well, i remember that you said before that you liked the idea of Gohan as main character and that dead Goku is a good thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Dragon Ball changes tones quite a bit, especially over the course of the series. I would argue that it's the best. It has the best choreography, best use of characters, best stories.
Well, i remember that you said before that you liked the idea of Gohan as main character and that dead Goku is a good thing.
I don't recall saying that. I would never say a dead Goku is a good thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm

ABED wrote:Dragon Ball changes tones quite a bit, especially over the course of the series. I would argue that it's the best. It has the best choreography, best use of characters, best stories.
You said something like that in my Cell Arc thread, but it doesn't matter now.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks but no thanks. That's what Dragon Ball Wiki is for, or is that too much of an abomination to mention? :problem:

I know enough about the original Dragon Ball; I'll just stick to everything after. Maybe someday I'll watch it. Maybe. :?
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:Dragon Ball changes tones quite a bit, especially over the course of the series. I would argue that it's the best. It has the best choreography, best use of characters, best stories.
You said something like that in my Cell Arc thread, but it doesn't matter now.
It does to me, when was this? I think you are misremembering things because I've never wanted Goku dead, and generally don't like when heroes are killed off at the end of stories.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Thanks but no thanks. That's what Dragon Ball Wiki is for, or is that too much of an abomination to mention? :problem:

I know enough about the original Dragon Ball; I'll just stick to everything after. Maybe someday I'll watch it. Maybe. :?
Dragon Ball wiki is terrible, you can find everything here, on this site. But i see you're just a kid, hopefully you'll move on from casual stage.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:17 pm

You're missing the best part of the story and there's a HUGE difference between knowing and seeing. I knew the plot of The Matrix before I saw it, but it was SO much better than hearing or reading about it. Same thing with Dragon Ball. I knew enough about it from reading synopses and various bits of exposition from DBZ, but actually watching the show was way better.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:17 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Dragon Ball wiki is terrible, you can't find everything here, on this site. But i see you're just a kid, hopefully you're move on from casual stage.
I can find enough stuff that I need. I don't need to live my life centered around Dragon Ball, so I don't need to know everything about it. Besides, DB Wiki is easy to get to, and to use. It's not as bad as everyone says it is.

And for the record, I'm 14. :)

EDIT: Should mention that I have considered reading the manga, but I don't know which is less... mature? I guess? :?
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Dragon Ball wiki is terrible, you can't find everything here, on this site. But i see you're just a kid, hopefully you're move on from casual stage.
I can find enough stuff that I need. I don't need to live my life centered around Dragon Ball, so I don't need to know everything about it. Besides, DB Wiki is easy to get to, and to use. It's not as bad as everyone says it is.

And for the record, I'm 14. :)

EDIT: Should mention that I have considered reading the manga, but I don't know which is less... mature? I guess? :?
It has some positives, but stories are meant to be experienced, not just synopsized. Reading the cliffnotes of a great story isn't reading a great story.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:20 pm

ABED
You said that Cell arc would be perfect place to end it all - Gohan being MC and Goku being dead.

AnimeKitten
Yeah, you're 14, you're a kid. Hopefully, you'll move on from casual stage. I was 19 when i converted to Japanese version, but i already experienced the whole series multiple times at that point. You can't just skip 37% of Toriyama's story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:ABED
You said that Cell arc would be perfect place to end it all - Gohan being MC and Goku being dead.

AnimeKitten
Yeah, you're 14, you're a kid. Hopefully, you'll move on from casual stage. I was 19 when i converted to Japanese version, but i already experienced the whole series multiple times at that point. You can't just skip 37% of Toriyama's story.
Did i use the word "perfect"? MC? Neither sound like me.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:Yeah, you're 14, you're a kid. Hopefully, you'll move on from casual stage. I was 19 when i converted to Japanese version, but i already experienced the whole series multiple times at that point. You can't just skip 37% of Toriyama's story.
Call me what you want, say what you want about me. I know enough of the story that you can't really call it "skipping". Same with Dragon Ball Wiki. I'm not a contributor there, but I know it's not as bad as everyone says. Oh, and a little note before you probably continue your futile attempts: FUNIMATION DUB IS #1. I'm sure I'll regret saying that. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:Yeah, you're 14, you're a kid. Hopefully, you'll move on from casual stage. I was 19 when i converted to Japanese version, but i already experienced the whole series multiple times at that point. You can't just skip 37% of Toriyama's story.
Call me what you want, say what you want about me. I know enough of the story that you can't really call it "skipping". Same with Dragon Ball Wiki. I'm not a contributor there, but I know it's not as bad as everyone says. Oh, and a little note before you probably continue your futile attempts: FUNIMATION DUB IS #1. I'm sure I'll regret saying that. :P
It is skipping. Reading a wikia page or cliffnotes isn't reading or watching the story. You lose a lot. You also lose a lot of the flavor when you watch the dub, especially a bad dub.