Dragonball and your kids

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Dragonball and your kids

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Recently I showed two episodes of the first Dragonball series to my daugther, now two years and 7 months old (soon two years and 8 months). Surprisingly she really enjoyed it. And what's even more surprising is that she really liked Dragon Ball Super. I didn't mean to show her but she sat down and watched an episodw with me... And right now I was almost shocked when she saw me browing Kanzenshuu and saw an avatar of SS Blue Goku and said "I want that. I want to watch!"

I admit she's too young but hopefully she'll want to check it more out in the future :) Have you guys got any stories that are linked to Dragonball and your kids?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragonball and your kids

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:31 pm

I showed my niece some episodes, and she enjoyed it. She calls it "the monkey show," since she saw the episodes with Oozaru Vegeta.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:13 pm

sangofe wrote:I admit she's too young but hopefully she'll want to check it more out in the future :) Have you guys got any stories that are linked to Dragonball and your kids?
Too young? That's about the age when I started watching the show with my folks, and I'm mostly sure I turned out okay. Look at me now, I'm on this forum, discussing the series with my fellow fans. I actually sent Mike and co. a suggestion of having a podcast episode with the topic of fans being "raised on Dragon Ball" (having their parents introduce them to the series) a little while ago, since I fit the description and am curious about what they'd have to say. Dragon Ball's now been around long enough to have life-long fans that now have children, so it'll be interesting to see how it gets passed down through the generations.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:18 pm

metamoss wrote:Too young? That's about the age when I started watching the show with my folks, and I'm mostly sure I turned out okay. Look at me now, I'm on this forum, discussing the series with my fellow fans. I actually sent Mike and co. a suggestion of having a podcast episode with the topic of fans being "raised on Dragon Ball" (having their parents introduce them to the series) a little while ago, since I fit the description and am curious about what they'd have to say. Dragon Ball's now been around long enough to have life-long fans that now have children, so it'll be interesting to see how it gets passed down through the generations.
You started watching it when you were two years old? That definitely seems too young.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:25 pm

gogeta97 wrote:You started watching it when you were two years old? That definitely seems too young.
Been a fan since before I can actually remember. 18 years and counting, baby!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 pm

metamoss wrote:
gogeta97 wrote:You started watching it when you were two years old? That definitely seems too young.
You can't really be a fan since you can't remember that part of your life. Lol

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:37 am

I'm 25, so I'm still single and don't have kids yet. If I do have kids, I would like to introduced DB to them along with many other anime. If they don't like it, oh well that's fine by them. As for the age, it depends. If they can watch PG-13 movies like Batman v Superman at a young age, so watching the series should be fine.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:40 am

I got my now seven year old niece (well, my fiance's niece, but I claim her as my niece as well) into DB a few years ago. She was really little when I was buying the Kai sets, but would occasionally walk in the room when my fiance and I were watching the show and was mesmerized by Freeza smashing Goku into the ground. When she was a little older (like, fiveish) I started her on the original DB. I hated having to use the dub, but sometimes you have to compromise. At least that dub is more "eh" than godawful like early Z. It took some time, but we eventually got through the original DB and she loved it.

I used Kai for the Z stuff, and around 4th of July weekend she was at the early portion of the Freeza fight. My fiance's parents were planning on having her and her sister over for the week, so we stayed as well. I managed to get her through the rest of Freeza and Cell by Tuesday of that week, which was super surprising, especially since I showed her my fandub of the Bardock special in between. Of course, she'd be doing other stuff like playing with toys (usually my DB figures) while watching, but she'd be watching nonetheless. But yes, we managed to get through over sixty episodes in four days.

With the not as terrible but still flawed Z dub as my only English audio option and a burning desire to get her to see BoG so she'd be ready for F that summer (it was conveniently releasing around her birthday, so it was perfect), I really wanted to hurry her through the Boo arc. Since she was a bit older and able to kinda follow the subs while watching the show, I got her to alternate between Japanese Kai and the Z dub with the Japanese soundtrack for the rest of the series. Whenever she got tired of the subs I'd put the dub back on. By doing that and fast forwarding here and there through the more bloated action bits I managed to get her through the Boo arc in just a few more days. After that I showed her my fandub of Heya! Son Goku and finished up with Battle of Gods. That was how I got my niece through the second half of the series in a week, haha. I do plan on having her rewatch Boo once we get Kai: TFC over here, though.

So that summer I donned my Goku cosplay and we took my niece to the theater to see F. My fandubs had an additional advantage besides having accurate English versions of Bardock and the JSAT special to show her because my personal friend played Bardock. This allowed me to set things up in advance to have him to join us in his full Bardock cosplay and sign an autograph for her. Why not? After all, he's the voice she knows for Bardock. I mean, yes, Sonny Strait was there for a few scenes in Kai, but I'm sure you get the point. My favorite part was having her ask him "Don't you love Gine?" He really hates Minus so I couldn't pass up the chance to see his reaction to that, haha. Taking my niece to see DB on the big screen and having her "meet" Bardock was a ton of fun and is one of my greatest DB memories to this day.

She still loves DB, and her mom keeps telling us about how she'll stay up past her bedtime on Saturdays to watch Kai on Toonami. Now I'm trying to introduce more anime to her like One Piece and to a lesser extent Yu-Gi-Oh!(she seems more interested in the game than the show, which is a shame because I want to pull an F with Dark Side of Dimensions if it gets a theatrical release here), but I'm glad to have DB as something to always fall back on. A week or two ago we got a picture from her mom showing us the brand new scouter toy she got from Hot Topic. It was the most adorable thing I've ever seen, and I have DB to thank for that. I plan on showing my kids the show once I get to that point in my life, though I may make them watch in Japanese instead of using the dub. I dunno. Eh, that's forever down the line, though, so I'm not worried about it at the moment.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:35 am

metamoss wrote:
sangofe wrote:I admit she's too young but hopefully she'll want to check it more out in the future :) Have you guys got any stories that are linked to Dragonball and your kids?
Too young? That's about the age when I started watching the show with my folks, and I'm mostly sure I turned out okay. Look at me now, I'm on this forum, discussing the series with my fellow fans. I actually sent Mike and co. a suggestion of having a podcast episode with the topic of fans being "raised on Dragon Ball" (having their parents introduce them to the series) a little while ago, since I fit the description and am curious about what they'd have to say. Dragon Ball's now been around long enough to have life-long fans that now have children, so it'll be interesting to see how it gets passed down through the generations.
She's too young because well, she can't really enjoy it fully plus the violence, at least in the hit SS Blue Goku vs Hit, scared her.
OmegaRockman wrote:I got my now seven year old niece (well, my fiance's niece, but I claim her as my niece as well) into DB a few years ago. She was really little when I was buying the Kai sets, but would occasionally walk in the room when my fiance and I were watching the show and was mesmerized by Freeza smashing Goku into the ground. When she was a little older (like, fiveish) I started her on the original DB. I hated having to use the dub, but sometimes you have to compromise. At least that dub is more "eh" than godawful like early Z. It took some time, but we eventually got through the original DB and she loved it.

I used Kai for the Z stuff, and around 4th of July weekend she was at the early portion of the Freeza fight. My fiance's parents were planning on having her and her sister over for the week, so we stayed as well. I managed to get her through the rest of Freeza and Cell by Tuesday of that week, which was super surprising, especially since I showed her my fandub of the Bardock special in between. Of course, she'd be doing other stuff like playing with toys (usually my DB figures) while watching, but she'd be watching nonetheless. But yes, we managed to get through over sixty episodes in four days.

With the not as terrible but still flawed Z dub as my only English audio option and a burning desire to get her to see BoG so she'd be ready for F that summer (it was conveniently releasing around her birthday, so it was perfect), I really wanted to hurry her through the Boo arc. Since she was a bit older and able to kinda follow the subs while watching the show, I got her to alternate between Japanese Kai and the Z dub with the Japanese soundtrack for the rest of the series. Whenever she got tired of the subs I'd put the dub back on. By doing that and fast forwarding here and there through the more bloated action bits I managed to get her through the Boo arc in just a few more days. After that I showed her my fandub of Heya! Son Goku and finished up with Battle of Gods. That was how I got my niece through the second half of the series in a week, haha. I do plan on having her rewatch Boo once we get Kai: TFC over here, though.

So that summer I donned my Goku cosplay and we took my niece to the theater to see F. My fandubs had an additional advantage besides having accurate English versions of Bardock and the JSAT special to show her because my personal friend played Bardock. This allowed me to set things up in advance to have him to join us in his full Bardock cosplay and sign an autograph for her. Why not? After all, he's the voice she knows for Bardock. I mean, yes, Sonny Strait was there for a few scenes in Kai, but I'm sure you get the point. My favorite part was having her ask him "Don't you love Gine?" He really hates Minus so I couldn't pass up the chance to see his reaction to that, haha. Taking my niece to see DB on the big screen and having her "meet" Bardock was a ton of fun and is one of my greatest DB memories to this day.

She still loves DB, and her mom keeps telling us about how she'll stay up past her bedtime on Saturdays to watch Kai on Toonami. Now I'm trying to introduce more anime to her like One Piece and to a lesser extent Yu-Gi-Oh!(she seems more interested in the game than the show, which is a shame because I want to pull an F with Dark Side of Dimensions if it gets a theatrical release here), but I'm glad to have DB as something to always fall back on. A week or two ago we got a picture from her mom showing us the brand new scouter toy she got from Hot Topic. It was the most adorable thing I've ever seen, and I have DB to thank for that. I plan on showing my kids the show once I get to that point in my life, though I may make them watch in Japanese instead of using the dub. I dunno. Eh, that's forever down the line, though, so I'm not worried about it at the moment.

Great work, man!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
metamoss wrote:
You can't really be a fan since you can't remember that part of your life. Lol
Just because I don't remember doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it back then.

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:02 pm

I was actually introduced to Dragon Ball by a relative – my brother – when I was a young child. He was a huge fan of the series back in the mid-2000's, where manga was still in its heyday over here. We used to have matches in Budookai 2. I never won any of them, but I liked the game and the characters,without actually knowing who they were. Then in 2011, back when it was announced that Z would be airing over here, I was all like: Hey, isn't this that thing my brother used to be really into? And it's anime, right? (I would watch anything as long as it was anime back then). I checked out the first episode and loved it. I actually had to hide what I was watching for some time, because my mother thought that it was too violent. Some time later, my brother gave me his manga, which was when I realized that I had missed a very important part of the story – a part that I would actually come to like more than some of the Z portion. So, the fact that I'm a Dragon Ball fan is actually due to my brother :D Thanks, bro! I'm fifteen now, and I'm not sure if I'll have kids myself, but I have a lot of young relatives, and eventually I'll introduce them to anime and Dragon Ball.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't have any kids yet (phew!) but if I do, I'll definitely try to get them into it! It's too much fun, adventure, and great action to pass up.

Though I would introduce them to Dragon Ball and DBZ, not Kai.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:23 am

I'm 24, I don't have kids yet but always wanted to.

But whenever I have kids I will more than likely introduce them to Dragon Ball first followed by Kai (I want the Funi Kai dub to be their first exposure to Z-era material because of the amazing voice acting and script accuracy). And then if they see those two series and love them enough I'll probably show them Super, GT and original Z (in that order).

That said I still have to watch the full series with the lady to see what she thinks of it :D .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Nevermind the violence, life is way more violent and with media nowadays we can't shelter our kids from it unless we get them in a bubble.

DB's violence have meaning. And kids get that very well.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:30 pm

2 yo is definitely too young, I think I was around 10 when I first watched this series.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:18 pm

I've always had the thought of getting my kid(s) into Dragon Ball (if I ever have any that is!) and passing on all of my DB stuff to them. But that would be a long, long way off :) It's a nice thought though.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:50 pm

They'll be raised on dragonball. But Super will be banned. I will not have my kids grow up with poor taste.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:55 pm

sangofe wrote:
metamoss wrote:
She's too young because well, she can't really enjoy it fully plus the violence, at least in the hit SS Blue Goku vs Hit, scared her.
I didn't mean to say you shouldn't use parental discretion. By all means, introduce her when you believe she's ready.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:12 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:They'll be raised on dragonball. But Super will be banned. I will not have my kids grow up with poor taste.
You act as if Dragon Ball is some high class show when it reality it's just as inoffensive but also lacking in several areas, much like Super, GT and all of the movies.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:They'll be raised on dragonball. But Super will be banned. I will not have my kids grow up with poor taste.
You act as if Dragon Ball is some high class show when it reality it's just as inoffensive but also lacking in several areas, much like Super, GT and all of the movies.
No, I really don't. It has it's flaws and it's not some amazingly complex show that has me on the edge of my seat. But let's be real, if you want your kids watching soulless cookie cutter money making machine idiot pandering garbage, who am I to stop you.

Just keep your kids away from mine.